Stone Glacier De Havilland or Sitka Timberlines?

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking very closely at these two pairs of pants as a late season hunting pant, primarily for hunting late October mule deer off my back here in Idaho. On one hand I really like the idea of the water proofing on the timberlines, but on the other hand I hike a ton and think the vents of the Stone Glaciers would be really nice to quickly dump some extra heat. If anyone has used both of these pants I would love to hear what they thought about them.

I had the Timberlines and sold them because they were too baggy. Wanted to go with Stone Glacier because the guys in Bozeman are awesome and I love my pack. Alas, too baggy. I just received a pair of Fjallraven Keb’s and love them. Wearing them right now while scouting in AZ. Vents in the hips AND calves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I had the Timberlines and sold them because they were too baggy. Wanted to go with Stone Glacier because the guys in Bozeman are awesome and I love my pack. Alas, too baggy. I just received a pair of Fjallraven Keb’s and love them. Wearing them right now while scouting in AZ. Vents in the hips AND calves.

How noisy are they? The swishing of pants has really been getting to me these past few years. One of the reason I switched to unlined wool slacks. Can get them in really light weight dress pants for early season and heavy surplus for November. The lightweight ones just aren’t meant for snags and brush. Fjallraven stuff always looked good though.

I have both, and either are a solid choice. [Also had FL Catalyst and gladly sold because of the zipper pockets.] TLs are nice and useful so happy to have. My vote is the SG De Havilland pant as the best thing going for active Oct/Nov temps. Better active/athletic fit, material weight, better price. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Sadler

WKR
The Kuiu axis sounds like a good middle ground for ya. It has the hip vents like the stand glacier pants and the waterproof knees and butt like the timberlines.
I really liked my timberlines but prefer the axis because they’re not as baggy and have the hip vents.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t mean to hijak a thread, but are baggy pants really that much worse? All my favourite hiking/hunting pants are baggy. I’ve never really tried “athletic” fitting stuff.

rm06

WKR
After much agonizing, I went with the Mountain Pant over the Timerblines, I've mostly heard the only difference between the two is the waterproof knee and butt material but my buddy's Timberline's are also a heavier material. Previous to this purchase, I tried a size L and M DeHaviland from SG. I'm 6' 190 and usually wear 33/34x32 size pants - the SG size L were comically large, I checked the size tag about 20 times to confirm they weren't 2XL and exchanged them for a size M which were uncomfortably small and skin tight.

I feel like I'm a relatively common size, I'm not sure how SG missed the mark on these, I am otherwise a big fan of their equipment although admittedly this was my first foray into their clothing.

How noisy are they? The swishing of pants has really been getting to me these past few years. One of the reason I switched to unlined wool slacks. Can get them in really light weight dress pants for early season and heavy surplus for November. The lightweight ones just aren’t meant for snags and brush. Fjallraven stuff always looked good though.

I don’t think they’re very noisy after wearing them non-stop for the last three days scouting. I will say though, I haven’t been on a stalk yet. Lol! Then they may sound like a red squirrel who had a bad burrito and suffers from explosive diarrhea, sneaking through the woods like everything else does. I’d say they are quieter then the Timbers and DeHavs though.

Don’t mean to hijak a thread, but are baggy pants really that much worse? All my favourite hiking/hunting pants are baggy. I’ve never really tried “athletic” fitting stuff.

I wouldn’t say worse, just preference. I want there to be enough room for an under layer and for movement through the woods, but anything extra feels like it gets caught on sticks and brush. Everyone is shaped different and will have different pain points. I liked the Timberlines, just didn’t love them. I wanted to love the DeHavs, just didn’t fit right. I’m in love with the Fjallravens. So that’s what I landed on. Just got home to see my jacket and shirt were delivered...yay!

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think they’re very noisy after wearing them non-stop for the last three days scouting. I will say though, I haven’t been on a stalk yet. Lol! Then they may sound like a red squirrel who had a bad burrito and suffers from explosive diarrhea, sneaking through the woods like everything else does. I’d say they are quieter then the Timbers and DeHavs though.

Good to know. Maybe I’m try them so I don’t look like a bum from the Sally Ann. I would like to think I’m athletic build, but ideal pants for me are. 34 waist, 32 long, and extra room in the rear and thighs, like old school army pants.

OP
kylem

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up trying on a pair of the Stone Glaciers and really liked how they fit and felt so that's what I'm going with. I'm not crazy about their noise, but these will be a late season rifle pant and not something I would wear bow hunting so I think they'll be just fine for me.