Stone glacier De Havilland pant

slowelk

WKR
I did my first outing in the pants yesterday. Just under 10 miles, temps from the low single digits to the mid teens. There was crusty snow, drifts in places, I didn't wear gaiters to see how water resistant they were. I could feel the wind cutting through the pants when it picked up, but they held out a light breeze. The hip vents were great, more functional than the kuiu side vents, dumped more heat on ascents, and the zippers were great. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have larger thighs and I worried that the front cargo pockets might be limited in their capacity due to the already semi-tight fit. I was able to comfortably carry my rag-wool gloves, neck gaiter, and handkerchief comfortably, but wouldn't be able to fit my ammo wallet in addition to the other items like I could in timberlines.

Next, the boot cut. I was excited to report how much I liked it and was excited to share how they performed until Kurt stole my thunder. The wider leg allowed the pants to stay down, and not ride up like tighter timberlines do. With that performance, I didn't have to worry about snow getting in my boots - it was great!

The contour waist. I was fortunate to be able to carry some weight, and though comfortable without adjustment, I decided to move it in about an inch, and my pants did not budge over the uneven, crunchy snow on the pack-out, they were great.

Water resistance, drying. I kneeled a fair bit and the pants didn't wet-out despite the heat I was putting off, but they did get damp, but then back on the move they dried out quickly, and at the end of the day, I didn't notice any odor despite my output. Once home today, I decided to wash them along with some new timberlines to really compare drying, and I didn't time it, but the SGs dried out significantly faster than the timberlines.

I really like these pants.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ungulates told him they saw purple? That's cool lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm a 31x33 (6' tall) and the Medium Tall did not work for me. The waist was too big even with the velcro cinched all the way in. I wanted to like them but it wasn't a good fit. I would have needed a belt on top of the built in belt and that was a no-go for me.

slowelk

WKR
I'm a 31x33 (6' tall) and the Medium Tall did not work for me. The waist was too big even with the velcro cinched all the way in. I wanted to like them but it wasn't a good fit. I would have needed a belt on top of the built in belt and that was a no-go for me.

That isn't a built-in belt. It's an adjustable replacement for what would normally be a button on top of your pant fly. Try it with a belt and I imagine it would work for you. I'm similar in size to you with a 32x34 jean and I wore a belt and the pants were great.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Having to wear a belt with these would sort of defeat the purpose seems like. Looks like a nice pair of pants, but they don't really fit a niche in my system.

slowelk

WKR
Having to wear a belt with these would sort of defeat the purpose seems like. Looks like a nice pair of pants, but they don't really fit a niche in my system.

I disagree. A belt is adjustable, your pants were not, previously. Now you adjust the pants to eliminate slack when you want to cinch down, and you do the same with the belt.

I am not certain on the concept, if it was supposed to replace a belt, but the system works great with an HPG under pack belt that has infinite adjustability.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't wear a belt with any of my pants, and my stretch zions are adjustable in the waist as well. I haven't found a belt yet that works nearly as well as suspenders do for carrying a pack and not having your pants/ belt get pushed down.

slowelk

WKR
I don't wear a belt with any of my pants, and my stretch zions are adjustable in the waist as well. I haven't found a belt yet that works nearly as well as suspenders do for carrying a pack and not having your pants/ belt get pushed down.

Sure, but suspenders are a pain when nature calls.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Slowelk
You are correct, the pant was not specifically designed to replace a belt. However, we are getting quite a bit of feedback from customers who say a belt is not needed once adjusted. I still wear a belt, but that is just personal preference and perhaps body shape.
Best
Kurt

What would you compare the thickness of the jacket to? How does it do in the wind?

I will respond here but i am going to open up a new thread with a question/answer. I am hoping to wrap up my review within a week or two. As for your question, the jacket compares to the Sitka jetstream/mountain. It does a pretty good job cutting wind. I get into more details in my review.

Kotaman

WKR
I hiked in these pants this weekend for the first time. Put a few miles on them in snowshoes. Temps were below zero so they were not the right pants for the job, but I wanted to try them. The big leg openings did not bother me. While I prefer a narrower opening, this is not a "deal breaker" for me.

I will be curious to try these in warm weather. While they worked in sub zero, they weren't ideal either which is understandable. I think they'll be a nice weight for mid to late season.

The pants are fairly noisy, (swishy) but would think they will soften up with a couple washings.

The waist belt is also a non factor for me, good or bad. While hiking I really couldn't tell that they were not a conventional button up pant. I did wear a separate belt with these and would continue to do so. The waist belt may come in handy as I approach "sheep shape" as I usually lose a couple inches from my waist prior to a big hunt. Time will tell if I use them that way or not.

I think I still prefer my Sitka Timberlines to these, but these are a nice, well thought out mountain pant that will see some use this fall. These are just some simple observations from wearing the pants ONCE. By no means a comprehensive review.

RdRdrFan

WKR
How did they fit? Athletic, baggy, length?

I’m a fan of the Attack pants. I also like Zions. I felt like the Stone Glacier pants were baggy. I didn’t care for the fit and for the price they are charging I want to love the fit. I took mine back.

FWIW, I’m a Stone Glacier fan and really wanted to like these pants. The fit just didn’t work for me. I liked the material and quality of build. Fit was the only thing that was disappointing.

kravguy

WKR
I’m a fan of the Attack pants. I also like Zions. I felt like the Stone Glacier pants were baggy. I didn’t care for the fit and for the price they are charging I want to love the fit. I took mine back.

FWIW, I’m a Stone Glacier fan and really wanted to like these pants. The fit just didn’t work for me. I liked the material and quality of build. Fit was the only thing that was disappointing.
Baggier than Zions?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk