Stone Glacier EVO 40/56 and Kifaru Duplex Lite

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
So this is not some in depth review, just my initial thoughts on the packs after doing a bit of pack training with them. I recently acquired a SG evo 40/56 on the krux evo frame and a Kifaru duplex lite 26'' frame that I attached my old nomad setup to. My last pack was a kifaru duplex hunter 24'' and I also was able to test my friends SG xcurve frame and his kifaru duplex hunter 26'' frame. I have not hiked a million miles with these packs or anything, they are all fantastic and you wont go wrong with any of these. I am also a firm believer that everyone has a different fit and feel that they like. I have just had the opportunity to try out a few great packs back to back and thought I would shed some light on what I thought.

So far I have just done some training hikes with my packs and have tried them all at work climbing on the treadmill and stair stepper. I have used 60lbs and 85lbs multiple times with each during 30-60min workouts. The only one I haven't had 85lbs in is the evo but I think it will be very comparable to the xcurve. I think I have a pretty good handle on setting them up and was able to adjust them all to my liking.

Being a long time kifaru fan I was actually surprised at how much I liked the SG packs and how they carried weight. that's the main reason I bought one. The hip belt stayed in place better and it just felt overall more comfortable, especially with heavy loads (not saying kifaru is bad). I also really like the meat shelf setup how it attached to the frame vs the reckoning. It was much simpler to me. My Nomad with a grab it is very simple and solid too.

I have heard the whole "barreling" debates on here and maybe that bothers some people but has really been a non issue for me. The duplex light is more horizontally ridged at the top which prevents that, the carbon stay at the top was a good improvement. I also got more lumbar pain and with the old hunter and I think they fixed that with putting the carbon stays on the outside of the frame sheet. The SG's have the two carbon stays that cross as the bottom toward the hip belt which makes it more ridged at the bottom and I think that helps a lot for me with any sort of lumbar or hip pain. The SG belt is also not as loose(not sure if that's the right word for it) where it attaches to the frame which seems to help with sagging. So they both have pros I just prefer the rigidity in the lower part of the frame.

The hip belt feels more comfortable on the SG and I wish that kifaru would have updated the new frames belt but it still is a very nice belt and the attachment options are unbeatable. I also like that I can loosen up the kifaru belt with it buckled and tight but not a huge deal. shoulder straps are both comfortable and easy to adjust.

Bags themselves are different, SG simple and light, kifaru lots of options and attachments. I prefer the simple bag and spotter pocket of the 40/56.

Like I said I'm no expert and these are just my observations in the short time I have had the new packs. I will say that it will be tough for me to reach for the kifaru for heavier loads which I was totally not expecting honestly, but it is what it is. I like all of them and really comparing the top end packs available, you cant go wrong. I am just a gear nut and like to try cool stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_5723.jpg
    IMG_5723.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5721.jpg
    IMG_5721.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5722.jpg
    IMG_5722.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 123
  • B428B66C-EF95-445C-899D-2A291CB2654F.jpg
    B428B66C-EF95-445C-899D-2A291CB2654F.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 04DB3F8C-E265-44D9-BAC8-28F0E7116293.jpg
    04DB3F8C-E265-44D9-BAC8-28F0E7116293.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 112
OP
R

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
Loaded up the SG Krux Evo with 103lbs. Wanted to see how it felt with some heavy weight. Did a 30min climb. That weight is never going to feel fantastic but that’s probably as good as it will ever feel. Very impressed with the pack so far.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Loaded up the SG Krux Evo with 103lbs. Wanted to see how it felt with some heavy weight. Did a 30min climb. That weight is never going to feel fantastic but that’s probably as good as it will ever feel. Very impressed with the pack so far.

Glad to hear that pack is working for you, I’ve really been enjoying my x-curve/solo 3300 for lots of training lately. I’m recovering from an injury though so nowhere near 103lbs. Only ~35-40 right now but it’s enough to get the pack fitting the way I like. Stone glacier makes awesome stuff.

I bought the SG EVO with the R3 5900 bag, I wanted an outer pocket to get into quick and to keep rain gear, puffy, head lamp etc segregated so I wouldn't have to rummage. I also wanted the lid and side pockets for rifle/shotgun/ poles etc. I have been hiking with about 50 pounds in it and it really feels good. The bag compresses pretty darn flat and I am planning on using just the frame/ meat shelf to haul stands and bait for my kids on whitetail hunts. I am 6'5 270 and the only real complaint is I have to un buckle the belt to adjust it, the power pulls don't catch well for me and according to SG that is a known issue for full grown men :cool:

OP
R

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the SG EVO with the R3 5900 bag, I wanted an outer pocket to get into quick and to keep rain gear, puffy, head lamp etc segregated so I wouldn't have to rummage. I also wanted the lid and side pockets for rifle/shotgun/ poles etc. I have been hiking with about 50 pounds in it and it really feels good. The bag compresses pretty darn flat and I am planning on using just the frame/ meat shelf to haul stands and bait for my kids on whitetail hunts. I am 6'5 270 and the only real complaint is I have to un buckle the belt to adjust it, the power pulls don't catch well for me and according to SG that is a known issue for full grown men :cool:

My buddy has the xcurve with the regular 5900 and that seems like it will be such a versatile setup. He let me do some training with it and now I have the evo. I will agree with you that the belt can be a bit of a pain and I have to unbuckle it as well to re adjust it. Sometimes I hold the belts strap on the side that I am pulling to keep some tension on it and that seems to help it from slipping loose.