Stone Glacier EVO 40/56 vs EXO K3 4800

Aklin458

FNG
Looking to buy my first pack and am looking for a model that is a good all arounder. I have it narrowed down to the Stone Glacier EVO 40/56 and the EXO K3 4800. I live in Wisconsin and have no way of trying on any packs. What are your experiences with these packs?

Thank you!

For the size of pack you mentioned, check out the Kifaru 44 Mag with a Duplex Lite or UL frame. Awesome pack with a great organization layout

I'd also check out Kifaru, if you haven't already.
Of the two mentioned, I'd go with the Exo, or the Stone Glacier X Curve frame. I tried an SG Evo, and it did pretty poorly with heavy loads (75lb+). The straight stays just didn't keep the load close to my body. I used to run arrow stays in a Kifaru Hunter frame and it was fine, but the straight stays in the Evo didn't work out for me. The X Curve is a good frame if you are ~5'8" or taller. I'm 5'6" and the curvature of the frame didn't match up for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
The SG Krux Frame does not work for me but the SG X Frame fits me like it was made for me. (I have 5900, 6900 and 7400 SG bags) Any way you can get to one of the shows and try them all? I also have a Kifaru 44 Mag that is awesome. EXO was just ok for me, but I have not tried the K3 which is supposed to be “improved”...Packs are like boots. Very personal and you need to try a bunch to see what works for your shape.

OP
A

Aklin458

FNG
Thanks guys! Also looking at the initial ascent pack as well. Just wish I had a place to try on some packs!

I Used the stone glacier 5900 last year on 4 different hunts and it was super comfortable pack. It had the xcurve frame.

North

FNG
Where in Wisconsin are you? I have Stone Glacier X Curve and Kifaru Duplex Lite frames you could check out if you’re nearby.

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
I am about to post my Exo K3 for sale. I couldn't keep it from sagging under heavy load. Just bought a SG X curve. I tested both of these along with a MR Beartooth 80 under 70lb loads on 2-3 mile hikes. I found the Exo and MR both sagged pretty good when loaded heavy. The SG stayed put and the weight was on my hips. I think it's a function of where SGs load shelf sits...its higher up on the frame. I wanted so bad to keep the Exo as I like the bag org much better, etc., but I could not get a good fit under load. SG it is for me.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve now got close to the 100 hiking and snowshoe miles carrying the 40/56, not a lot but I’ve had it on several training trips. I like it more every time I use it.