Stone Glacier Frame help

Thinking about making the switch from mystery ranch to stone glacier for backpack hunts but what is the best frame choice between the three they make and why? I watched the video they make about each one and too me just say how one is heavier than the other. So what are you guys running between xcurve, evo, and r3? Also when I called them they said they are make changes to the R3 frame, anyone have an inside scoop on what they are doing and when it’s coming out? Thanks in advance guys, always appreciate the help this forum contributes.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
We use 3300 bags, mine on x-curve, my wife on evo. Perfect solution for us. Strapped down, great day pack. Opened up and hauls kitchen sink. Fully adjustable, just need to put time in to tweak to you. Looked at Mystery ranch, great product but heavy. SG service is excellent. If you can stop by, even better but any issues, just call them and ask.

ljalberta

WKR
At the end of the day, the biggest difference between the Evo and Xcurve frame is going to be whether or not your back profile fits better with the curved or straight stays. Once you get into the heavier end of the weights, it can make a significant difference in comfort. If you can afford the return shipping on 1 frame, then I'd order them both, load them up with some weight and keep whichever fits your body better.

if you have a hunch back the x curve will fit better. i think the evo fits straighter backs. call them though and theyll get you dialed. or try to go to one of the tradeshows where you can try on, although i dont think they usually have a big load you can try and truly test it, just a small one

MtGomer

WKR
I agree with the above. It just comes down to fit. I don’t think one is better than the other, it’s just what works best for you.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Disregard the above comment about the x-curve being appropriate for you if you have a hunch back. Go ahead and google "hunch back" and you'll see why that was totally misleading. The curved frame helps support and transfer loads for people with a curved back, especially in the lower half of the back. It has nothing to do with hunched backs. Not everyone has curved lower backs, so the straight frame of the Evo might work better for them. Kurt has a video of his load out and talks about how the Evo fits him equally as well as the other frames, so he chooses to use that one. Finding a way to try some on will help you more than anything.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the evo and xcurve, slight edge to the evo for my slightly curved back. It wasn’t even noticeable until I had over 55lbs for a few miles. Xcurve wasn’t painful, I just felt a little more fatigued.

LJ Buck

WKR
Xcurve all day!!!

I know it’s personal preference but everyone I have had try mine on love it regardless of back type.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Order the frame that you like and also order the stays for the other. I ordered the xcurve and the stays for the Evo. This way you can try both frame setups with less investment.

Disregard the above comment about the x-curve being appropriate for you if you have a hunch back. Go ahead and google "hunch back" and you'll see why that was totally misleading. The curved frame helps support and transfer loads for people with a curved back, especially in the lower half of the back. It has nothing to do with hunched backs. Not everyone has curved lower backs, so the straight frame of the Evo might work better for them. Kurt has a video of his load out and talks about how the Evo fits him equally as well as the other frames, so he chooses to use that one. Finding a way to try some on will help you more than anything.
hes right "hunch back" is the wrong term i've just heard it too many times from my wife hah. if your spine has more curve to it then xcurve would probably feel better, it did for me.

I started with the solo and xcurve frame. I never could get the xcurve to fit me. Even with light weight, it was uncomfortable. Stone Glacier and the dealer, that I bought it from, were both very helpful. They swapped out the xcurve for the evo. The evo fits me perfect. With 40 pounds in it, I forget that I have it on. I have yet to haul any meat in it, but am looking forward to it. As others have said, it's all about how the frame fits you. Stone glacier is a great company that makes awesome products.

I have a fairly flat back and the R3 fits me like a dream!! The Xcurve fit, it just wasn't nearly as comfortable for me. I ran an MR Crewcab for years and wish I would have made the change sooner!! SG customer service is awesome!!. Of course I've had great customer service with all the top pack companies, truly a great industry to work with

Raidertx

FNG
I have the Sky 5900 on the XCurve frame. Fits me very comfortably. I can't speak to the process through a dealer, but Stone Glacier does offer a 30-day money back guarantee through them directly as long as its returned in new undamaged condition. Their policy says you can exchange sizes. Might be worth reaching out to their Customer Service folks explaining your situation and seeing if they will allow you to exchange frames if you decide the one you ordered isn't a fit for you. I love my Stone Glacier, have had nothing but a great experience from it and have no qualms recommending them to others.

cssmith85

FNG
Order the frame that you like and also order the stays for the other. I ordered the xcurve and the stays for the Evo. This way you can try both frame setups with less investment.
How much do the extra stays cost? I have the Evo, but am curious if the xcurve would fit me better. I have a slight curve in my back. I assume they’re is a right side up when installing the curved stays?

Craftydoc

FNG
How much do the extra stays cost? I have the Evo, but am curious if the xcurve would fit me better. I have a slight curve in my back. I assume they’re is a right side up when installing the curved stays?
I called SG about this last week. They charge $195 for replacement stays. I do feel that's fairly expensive, but there's no other place to get them. As far as the installation, I would contact SG.