Stone Glacier Frames

Anybody have experience with both SG packs and Kifaru that can tell me how durable/comfortable a heavy load is in the SG compared to Kifaru? I know that Kifaru is built like a tank and going to hold 100lb+ very well.

slick

WKR
I'm sure someone in your neck of the woods has a SG and would be willing to let you put it on with weight.

SG are rated for 150+ lbs. Will that be comfortable? Unlikely. I've had a couple loads now that were give or take right at 100lbs with an SG Krux. It wasn't uncomfortable, but it wasn't the best thing either.

Try it on and see what you think.

*zap*

WKR
Probably the same but yet different. SG offers two type of stays that are not adjustable at all. Kifaru offers different stays but the aluminum stays can be customized to your needs.
SG is lighter.
The two brands function differently and even the proper fit videos show a different type of fit between the two brands. SG straps should hug the top of the shoulders and the Kifaru has a small gap behind the shoulder. At least that is my take on the fits...

Best to try both for a while and see how they work for you. I have both, actually two SG evo's and a kifaru along with a MR guide Lite. SG old 6300 bag for whitetail, SG frame with a Kifaru amr for pack in camping, Kifaru frame with a load cell and a MR with a pretty neat military alice style bag (recon ruck) that has lots of sewn in pockets and two water bladder holders in the main compartment. I still need to work on the Kifaru aluminum stays as they are in the stock configuration. 6' with long legs and arms and a short torso so flat stays fit me best.

Finding the 'right' pack frame is kind of a journey.....take your time with it and enjoy the sights along the way. Lots of decent deals in the classifieds if you take your time and look regularly....all my frames and bags have been purchased used expect one SG that I purchased new....a x curve that did not fit me so I changed the stays to evo.

Good luck.

GotDraw?

WKR
Packs and Boots...
Everyone's spine/pelvis or feet are as unique as a person's decision making factors and their assessment of those factors that ultimately drive a purchasing decision. Two people may have EXACTLY the same spine/pelvis and body structure, even have the same usage-case for hunting and terrain, yet have polar opposite opinions on pack fit/comfort.

It's good to ask questions and folks here will definitely share great wisdom, but don't waste too much time on it when you can easily buy both and compare them at the same time under load.

Take advantage of the fact that both companies will allow you to buy a pack to test / return if you don't want it. This is what I did so I could test SG directly against Kuiu. Each had its strong points but one was a clear choice for me.

Best,

JL

SDHNTR

WKR
I have both. Kifaru DT frame and SG Krux. They are both great in their own regard. If I know I really have to carry a monster load, I’m grabbing the Kifaru every time. But for the majority of my hunting, the SG gets used as my primary pack. Day to day and across most terrain, the SG is just more maneuverable and more versatile. It moves with you. It’s nimble. It’s lighter, more comfortable, and feels like an extension of my body.

The Kifaru is the opposite of all those things. It’s heavier and feels rigid and almost cumbersome, until you need to haul an elk or moose quarter. Then it shines.

If I could only have one = SG.