Stone Glacier -- Good call?

Looking to purchase my first nice pack. I've been eyeing the SG Sky 5900 for 3-5 day mule deer hunts, however, would like the ability for longer stays of 10 or so days.

Any reasons not to buy the pack? I know you get what you pay for, but as a college student it's worth considering other cheaper options -- any other recommendations?

Mystery Ranch and Seek Outside are good options, used packs could be an option as well but I wouldn’t recommend taking out student cancer loans to buy it. If you can swing it then they are great pack. Do you have a tag in hand?

Last edited:
OP
B
Mystery Ranch and Seek Outside are good options, used packs could be an option as well but I wouldn’t recommend taking out student cancer loans to buy it. If you can swing it then they are great pack. Do you have a tag in hand?

Thank you for the recommendations. I assune quite a few used packs are sold on this forum? No, I don't -- just a high buck hunt in Washington!

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with above, I really like my 5900. Unless it is late season and you are taking winter gear, it can do a 10 day trip. I did 10 days with mine on an archery hunt last fall (I didn't have a bunch of extra cold weather layers), and I fit everything in the bag just fine.

I don't have a 5900 but I do have a Stone Glacier 6200 and they are a pretty similar pack. They pack down great to a bivy mode for a few days or expand to handle 10 or more days. I'm a taller guy ( 6'5" 240) and the Xcurve frame is awesome. You won't go wrong with anything from Stone Glacier.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the exact pack on xcurve, great call, a piece a gear you won't have to update again down the line.

AKLiving

FNG
By your post you appear to be concerned about price. Why not look at something that will get you by, just not fancy, ultralight, and ultra-comfortable.

I'm not a student and can afford a nice pack but chose to keep my costs down for many years.

You asked about cheaper options so, here is one option...
I used a Kelty meat frame ($120) and mounted a large, water resistant duffle ($30 on clearance) using buckles (about $5). This worked for an 8 day trip on Kodiak with me carrying more weight than my buddy and his Kuiu pack. From camp, we hiked avg of 6miles and 2,000ft daily in goat territory. I packed out 3 deer (unfortunately no goats) along with my day bag. Sure I was a little sorer than my buddy but even if I bought this just for the trip it would have set me back only about $150. Plus you won't have to feel like you wasted money 'upgrading' later because the duffle still can be used as a duffle and you can save the frame for your out of state buddy that visits and helps haul out that 61" bull moose.

Save your money, don't take out loans, and when you graduate you will have way more disposable income since you won't be giving it to the banks...there are always options to really nice gear.

I recommend spending whatever you need to to get a great fitting pack. That might be $75 or $750. Try a lot of them on with weight.

For me, I know that I, and my wallet, are better off investing in a SG pack because I know it will distribute the load so well that I don't need to have all of the other expensive ultralight gear. I can pack slightly heavier super reliable gear that may weigh a few extra ounces or a larger scope, a warmer sleeping bag, etc.

Another reason to invest now is, we usually don't stop a lifestyle with backpacks. Eventually, you'll probably invest in a great pack, so in the end, you can save whatever money you spend on the 'fine' bag.

But again, try a lot of them on. SG might not be the right fit. Try Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, etc. until you find one that you want to marry.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say buy the right pack now and avoid multiple steps to the same end result. The SG is an AWESOME bag produced by an awesome company. Give them a call and discuss your needs. You will then see what we all mean when we say great customer service!!

Ive owned the 6200 and now have the 6900 paired with an Xcurve frame. I chose to stick with SG after trying Kifaru, Exo, SG, and KUIU. Again, Kifaru, Exo and SG are all great packs and can be the "Best" for someone. If you cant try them all on, you cant go wrong with one of those 3. For me, the SG just checked more boxes for my needs and fit.