Stone Glacier Grumman Goose Down Jacket and Pants

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Thinking about picking one of these up. The new tarmac color looks pretty good. Are the jackets as shiny as it looks on their website? Some pics don’t look as bad but others it looks like it has a lot of sheen.
They are shiny when brand new and dull over use I’ve found, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. The Pertex fabric has a “sheen” from the material itself. It works far better for down containment than any other down product I’ve ever used.

The “silver” is a lot brighter than most the other darker colors.

Reactions: Rus
A two way zipper would solve the tight waist issue, and is just generally a feature that increasingly imo every insulated top should have. It would only increase the weight by one zipper pull which is well worth the added functionality even for a UL piece in my view.
I agree 100% on this - the jacket is thin at the waist and long enough to keep in the warmth when sitting but tends to puff out at your upper stomach area when kneeling, etc. I’ve mentioned this to them at last year’s shows and plan to do the same this year.
I’ll send mine to a tailor, outdoor Gear repair shop, etc to have a 2 way added.
Other than that I really like the jacket, fit, warmth, etc.
I’m 5,9” , 140 soaking wet and wear a medium in everything up top. The Medium SG fits well with room underneath for base layer, pullover shirt, vest, and a thin fleece pullover.

I wish they made a 3XL. I tired on the 2XL and was tight everywhere for this dad bod. I have a 50" chest and finding a good puffy has been really hard.

Dr.Chill

FNG
Got my Grumman Pants today and wanted to provide detailed sizing info to hopefully help anyone else like me who might be between sizes.

Measurements:
6'3, 165-170 lbs, 31-32" waist. Size 11 boots Tall/lean/athletic build

What I'm wearing:
Mid-weight merino bottoms
Sitka Timberline pants w knee pads (32T)
One foot - Stormfront Gaiter + Kenetrek 400 (11)
Other foot - Schnee's Hunter II 16" (11)
Long sleeve T-shirt
Atom LT (M)
Grumman Jacket (L)
Grumman Pants (M)

Grumman Pant Fit:
I ordered a M based on my waist measurements relative to SGs size chart (which shows a M = 33"+). At 6'3, I'm used to puffy pants usually being a few inches too short in my typical waist size, and these are no different.The waist on the M Grumman pants is right on the money, perfect, and the fit is accommodating of layers and mobility (but not too baggy) down to about the knee. However, the fit is very trim from the knee down, almost skinny jean-esque. Pros: lighter weight, less material to snag/brush when moving, thermally efficient. Cons: can be a tight fit over late season footwear (see for over Schnee's Pac boot), can compress the down over the calf/ankle area and result in reduced insulation (this happened to some baffles over the Pac boot, and I have small calves/ankles to begin). However, I'll be sticking with the M, as the L would be 1) heavier, 2) likely too loose in the waist, 3) too much excess material in hip/thigh, 4) not lay as cleanly under the Grumman jacket, which has a narrow waist hem to begin.

I wanted to compare the Grumman fit (M) to my tried and true First Lite Uncompahgre pants (also M), which I've used extensively the past 4 years. I wasn't sure if the Grumman's were significantly slimmer than I was used to or not. From the fit standpoint, they are nearly identical. The Uncompahgre might even be a touch trimmer in the lower leg, as you can see how tight a fit it is over the Schnee's Pac boot. While both can zip completely off, zippers on the Uncompahgre are a bit smoother and manageable than the Grumman. The Velcro on the lower cuff of the Grumman was one extra step. One design flaw I noticed in the Grumman = no button fly. The Uncompahgre has this and it's so much easier to simply zip down the fly, zip legs up and slide the pants on/off right over boots. The Grumman you pretty much have to completely disconnect at least one side to take on/off. Not sure why SG opted for this design, as a simply button clasp would be a trivial weight addition but greatly improved the functionality. From a warmth perspective, I did not test both outside yet, but the Grumman feels a little warmer, and a bit lighter.

Last, I threw my Dewpoint rain gear (L jacket; LT pants) over all the layers to check fit, and pleased to say the layering was perfect. Plenty of mobility and no perceptible down compression.

In sum, I would say the pants run a bit trim but def pick the size that corresponds to your waist. Grumman jacket is somewhat trim too, but I sized up to L for added layering capability, and for the needed sleeve length for my arms - it was the right choice. The L jacket also "stacks" nicely over the M Grumman pants, and doesn't bunch up on top of them. Overall, definitely kinda delicate material, but a really warm, lightweight, and functional system overall. Hope this helps someone else in their decision process.

Attachments

• PXL_20240113_192215295.jpg
    PXL_20240113_192215295.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20240113_190700298.jpg
    PXL_20240113_190700298.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20240113_190631196.jpg
    PXL_20240113_190631196.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20240113_190747567.jpg
    PXL_20240113_190747567.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20240113_185843285.jpg
    PXL_20240113_185843285.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20240113_185906554.jpg
    PXL_20240113_185906554.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20240113_185743578.jpg
    PXL_20240113_185743578.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20240113_185942546.jpg
    PXL_20240113_185942546.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20240113_192247135.jpg
    PXL_20240113_192247135.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 42
OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thinking about picking one of these up. The new tarmac color looks pretty good. Are the jackets as shiny as it looks on their website? Some pics don’t look as bad but others it looks like it has a lot of sheen.
No I don't find them overly shiny.

I can’t speak for the new colors. The old colors to me where not as shinny in person or in real light.

Reactions: Rus
Got my Grumman Pants today and wanted to provide detailed sizing info to hopefully help anyone else like me who might be between sizes.

Measurements:
6'3, 165-170 lbs, 31-32" waist. Size 11 boots Tall/lean/athletic build

What I'm wearing:
Mid-weight merino bottoms
Sitka Timberline pants w knee pads (32T)
One foot - Stormfront Gaiter + Kenetrek 400 (11)
Other foot - Schnee's Hunter II 16" (11)
Long sleeve T-shirt
Atom LT (M)
Grumman Jacket (L)
Grumman Pants (M)

Grumman Pant Fit:
I ordered a M based on my waist measurements relative to SGs size chart (which shows a M = 33"+). At 6'3, I'm used to puffy pants usually being a few inches too short in my typical waist size, and these are no different.The waist on the M Grumman pants is right on the money, perfect, and the fit is accommodating of layers and mobility (but not too baggy) down to about the knee. However, the fit is very trim from the knee down, almost skinny jean-esque. Pros: lighter weight, less material to snag/brush when moving, thermally efficient. Cons: can be a tight fit over late season footwear (see for over Schnee's Pac boot), can compress the down over the calf/ankle area and result in reduced insulation (this happened to some baffles over the Pac boot, and I have small calves/ankles to begin). However, I'll be sticking with the M, as the L would be 1) heavier, 2) likely too loose in the waist, 3) too much excess material in hip/thigh, 4) not lay as cleanly under the Grumman jacket, which has a narrow waist hem to begin.

I wanted to compare the Grumman fit (M) to my tried and true First Lite Uncompahgre pants (also M), which I've used extensively the past 4 years. I wasn't sure if the Grumman's were significantly slimmer than I was used to or not. From the fit standpoint, they are nearly identical. The Uncompahgre might even be a touch trimmer in the lower leg, as you can see how tight a fit it is over the Schnee's Pac boot. While both can zip completely off, zippers on the Uncompahgre are a bit smoother and manageable than the Grumman. The Velcro on the lower cuff of the Grumman was one extra step. One design flaw I noticed in the Grumman = no button fly. The Uncompahgre has this and it's so much easier to simply zip down the fly, zip legs up and slide the pants on/off right over boots. The Grumman you pretty much have to completely disconnect at least one side to take on/off. Not sure why SG opted for this design, as a simply button clasp would be a trivial weight addition but greatly improved the functionality. From a warmth perspective, I did not test both outside yet, but the Grumman feels a little warmer, and a bit lighter.

Last, I threw my Dewpoint rain gear (L jacket; LT pants) over all the layers to check fit, and pleased to say the layering was perfect. Plenty of mobility and no perceptible down compression.

In sum, I would say the pants run a bit trim but def pick the size that corresponds to your waist. Grumman jacket is somewhat trim too, but I sized up to L for added layering capability, and for the needed sleeve length for my arms - it was the right choice. The L jacket also "stacks" nicely over the M Grumman pants, and doesn't bunch up on top of them. Overall, definitely kinda delicate material, but a really warm, lightweight, and functional system overall. Hope this helps someone else in their decision process.
Great review !

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
Could you opine on both the sizing and some reviews which state the shell material is beyond wafer thin and will rip/tear simply removing it from the packaging?
Yes it is. Bring duct tape to field to repair and be prepared to patch it after. That said, great jacket.