Stone Glacier Grumman Jacket Review, By Jake Potter

Yeah, here are my initial thoughts after just trying it on around the house and sending it back:
Bad
1. It is LOUD. And I usually have a pretty high tolerance for noisy clothing but this is on a different level. Its possible that it will quiet down with some wear but my first reaction after pulling it out of the bag was "holy crap this is loud." Sounds like this guy has the same opinion.
2. Doesn't have the loft I was expecting. Especially for 900 FP down blend, the Grumman is significantly loftier.
3. Heavy. The size large was 17.5 ounces on my scale.
4. Fit wasn't right for me. I am 6'1", 190 and ordered a Large. The sleeve length and abdomen area were perfect for me but the shoulders were tight enough that I couldn't "give myself a hug" without pulling the shoulder seems tight. I also would prefer a little longer hem - the non-adjustable elastic hem on the bottom was snug enough that it would work its way above my belt line just walking around my kitchen.

Good
1. The face fabric does feel more weather resistant than almost all other down jackets I've felt. The 20D fabric seems like it will buck the wind well.
2. Sew quality was what you'd expect for Sitka, nothing out of line and not a loose stitch anywhere.
3. Large mesh pocket backing on the interior does feel like it will do a good job venting the wearer when he wants a breeze.

I realize some of the Pros and Cons directly contradict themselves (you can't have a down jacket that is this durable without being heavier than others) but, like everything, its a balance. I probably would have kept it if the fit was better for me but I think the XL would be too big and would be even heavier.

Since 95% of my hunting is in Colorado, I can get away with the lighter Grumman and not need the additional weather resistance and weight of the Sitka. I really, really wanted to like this piece.

I had a Grumman on order, but it hadn't shipped after a week.

Then I remembered it was made in Asia. So I canceled the order. For only $60 (18%) more I bought a made in USA Feathered Friends Helios hoody. 7.8 oz 900+ fill versus 5.3 oz 850+ for the Grumman. 3.5 oz heavier shell weight for the Helios, which is fine by me. The Pertex Endurance fabric on the FF has much higher water resistance (10,000 mm versus 450 mm for Quantum) and wind resistance than the Pertex Quantum on the GG. The new formula of Endurance also has excellent breathability and heat retention.

Do you feel that this jacket would be warm enough (obviously with layers) for glassing in 20 degree temps? I understand everyone has different cold tolerances, but I'm stuck between the Stone Glacier and the FF Helios Hoody to wear overtop of my Sitka gear for a late October/Early November Idaho rifle hunt. Thanks!!

Do you feel that this jacket would be warm enough (obviously with layers) for glassing in 20 degree temps? I understand everyone has different cold tolerances, but I'm stuck between the Stone Glacier and the FF Helios Hoody to wear overtop of my Sitka gear for a late October/Early November Idaho rifle hunt. Thanks!!

With layers, definitely. It has ridiculous loft. Not that I have done it. I will probably layer as wool base, Sitka zip hoody, Uncompahgre, Puffy. Will also be carrying a poncho quilt (MLD 38 Spirit).

Again, I haven't done this. Kevin Dill has said all I needed to hear before I bought mine:

"Because it's warm....

Feathered Friends Helios Hooded Jacket. 7.8 oz fill using 900+ goose down. Clamshell handwarmer pockets which work better by far than anything else I've ever used. 18 oz in medium. The no-hood version weighs 16 oz. They are not built tight or small.....correct size for layering beneath. Mine is Ash (gray) color and it blends nicely into terrain. Mid-upper $300s pricing. USA made."

Last edited:
Okay just checking. Now another question what do you think is more durable the Kuiu Super Down pro or the SG Grumman? I know the Grumman has a little more insulation. But what about durability and wind protection?

The superdown Pro will be more durable. it has a 30d shell vs the 15d shell of the Grumman. I thought the super down pro fit better and definitely has more features. It also has better loft. I thought both were comparable with warmth.

so far I like the Grumman it’s not perfect but definitely a good jacket especially for its weight. I have not had it down past 35 degrees yet. I’ll be honest for 5.3oz I was expecting a tad more warmth. I think it’s a little warmer than a FL Uncompagrae (spelling) puffy. I would still call this an early to mid season jacket.

whick do u feel is warmer?

I think the stone glacier feels warmer because how soft the fabric is. It also fits alittle better and has less air inside to “warm up”.
I know the Kuiu has a thicker face fabric but the fabric felt to have less “quality”.

I plan to compare the m5 vs the Kuiu Kutana this fall and winter. I think the Kutana will be my fishing jacket worst case senario but I’ll admit I like the fit, looks and finish much better than the m5. I know they both aren’t comparing Apples to apples but they are pretty close. This will be a truck day hunt late season rain jacket atleast for this season and next fall.

Two other insulation pieces I’m testing this season is the Sitka kelvin lite hoody ( this is the 100 percent synthetic version) and the sitka ws down hoody.

The Kevin lite is my second favorite and I’m going to look into it as a late season active peice. The ws down hoody is the perfect last resort insulation layer for those less than 20 degree glassing days in my opinion. I used the chamberlin last season and it did preform well, but the added wind stopper layer makes this jacket “feel” warmer when sitting and glassing in the wind. I’m not the biggest fan of the ws face fabric and brim on the hood.

I plan on keeping three hoodies over all. The Grumman will be my best for warmth to weight ratio. The Sitka lite will be my go to when active winter hunting and I know I will likely sweat or have some rain. If I’m truck hunting in the late season I’ll likely bring the ws hoodie too as I can throw it on over the kelvin lite and a couple other layers. I do plan on comparing the Arc’teryx atom lt to the kelvin lite. My only complaint with it is the hood doesn’t turn with your head well.

I think the stone glacier feels warmer because how soft the fabric is. It also fits alittle better and has less air inside to “warm up”.
I know the Kuiu has a thicker face fabric but the fabric felt to have less “quality”.

I plan to compare the m5 vs the Kuiu Kutana this fall and winter. I think the Kutana will be my fishing jacket worst case senario but I’ll admit I like the fit, looks and finish much better than the m5. I know they both aren’t comparing Apples to apples but they are pretty close. This will be a truck day hunt late season rain jacket atleast for this season and next fall.

Two other insulation pieces I’m testing this season is the Sitka kelvin lite hoody ( this is the 100 percent synthetic version) and the sitka ws down hoody.

The Kevin lite is my second favorite and I’m going to look into it as a late season active peice. The ws down hoody is the perfect last resort insulation layer for those less than 20 degree glassing days in my opinion. I used the chamberlin last season and it did preform well, but the added wind stopper layer makes this jacket “feel” warmer when sitting and glassing in the wind. I’m not the biggest fan of the ws face fabric and brim on the hood.

I plan on keeping three hoodies over all. The Grumman will be my best for warmth to weight ratio. The Sitka lite will be my go to when active winter hunting and I know I will likely sweat or have some rain. If I’m truck hunting in the late season I’ll likely bring the ws hoodie too as I can throw it on over the kelvin lite and a couple other layers. I do plan on comparing the Arc’teryx atom lt to the kelvin lite. My only complaint with it is the hood doesn’t turn with your head well.
Very nice detailed response. Funny how I’m almost opposite. Just sold Grumman and bought and went back to KUIU SD pro. SD Pro fit me much better and I really like the stretch in the face fabric as helps with snags. I did not like the elastic waist and wrist on the Grumman. I felt it would ride up my back. I also felt the zipper on the SD Pro worked easier and felt more quality. Man we live in a great time with all these options. Both are great jackets and based on us it really is personal preference.

Ya I agree. If the super down had a better solid color I would’ve tried harder to love it. I wish I could’ve kept it just couldn’t justify two similar jackets. I was gonna use it as my puffy over a puffy, but I got a great deal on the ws down to try and it served two purposes.

Ya I agree. If the super down had a better solid color I would’ve tried harder to love it. I wish I could’ve kept it just couldn’t justify two similar jackets. I was gonna use it as my puffy over a puffy, but I got a great deal on the ws down to try and it served two purposes.

where do u put the warmth of the Kelvin lite. I’ve considered going to that. I would have to imagine the Grumman and SD Pro are warmer.

chwebb03

FNG
Yeah, here are my initial thoughts after just trying it on around the house and sending it back:
Bad
1. It is LOUD. And I usually have a pretty high tolerance for noisy clothing but this is on a different level. Its possible that it will quiet down with some wear but my first reaction after pulling it out of the bag was "holy crap this is loud." Sounds like this guy has the same opinion.
2. Doesn't have the loft I was expecting. Especially for 900 FP down blend, the Grumman is significantly loftier.
4. Fit wasn't right for me. I am 6'1", 190 and ordered a Large. The sleeve length and abdomen area were perfect for me but the shoulders were tight enough that I couldn't "give myself a hug" without pulling the shoulder seems tight. I also would prefer a little longer hem - the non-adjustable elastic hem on the bottom was snug enough that it would work its way above my belt line just walking around my kitchen.

Good
1. The face fabric does feel more weather resistant than almost all other down jackets I've felt. The 20D fabric seems like it will buck the wind well.
2. Sew quality was what you'd expect for Sitka, nothing out of line and not a loose stitch anywhere.
3. Large mesh pocket backing on the interior does feel like it will do a good job venting the wearer when he wants a breeze.

I realize some of the Pros and Cons directly contradict themselves (you can't have a down jacket that is this durable without being heavier than others) but, like everything, its a balance. I probably would have kept it if the fit was better for me but I think the XL would be too big and would be even heavier.

Since 95% of my hunting is in Colorado, I can get away with the lighter Grumman and not need the additional weather resistance and weight of the Sitka. I really, really wanted to like this piece.
I also have had the sam reaction to initial thoughts with the kelvin lite down. With your experience with the Grumman, is it softer/more comfortable than the kelvin down? and do the torso/forearms feel more comfortable with the Grumman? one last ? would you go coyote or grey for all around jacket?

Thanks

Big Ern

WKR
I have the SG Grumman and used it during 3rd rifle in CO chasing elk this year.

it was really quite warm. I was comfortable with layers glassing during a few cold mornings in 10-15 deg (F). Hood was fantastic. Packability was great.

Bad: i have toilet paper that is more durable. Got a few rips in the slieeve just from moving around in my glassing spot. No bushwacking. Customer service was really great for the repair which I though would be adding some loft and sewing it up. Nope. Just a clear tape patch (which had I known I would have just done it myself). Not a big deal.

Overall, pretty happy with it. Just need to be mindful of the durability issues. If I had known how fragile it was before I purchased it I would have gotten something else for my hunting pack. The SG would be fine for camping/town, etc.

I have the SG Grumman and used it during 3rd rifle in CO chasing elk this year.

it was really quite warm. I was comfortable with layers glassing during a few cold mornings in 10-15 deg (F). Hood was fantastic. Packability was great.

Bad: i have toilet paper that is more durable. Got a few rips in the slieeve just from moving around in my glassing spot. No bushwacking. Customer service was really great for the repair which I though would be adding some loft and sewing it up. Nope. Just a clear tape patch (which had I known I would have just done it myself). Not a big deal.

Overall, pretty happy with it. Just need to be mindful of the durability issues. If I had known how fragile it was before I purchased it I would have gotten something else for my hunting pack. The SG would be fine for camping/town, etc.

yes I agree they need to either go to a 20 or 30d fabric. It’s the only reason I’m using the KUIU superdown Pro.

jbwright

WKR
Thorough review - thanks for the info. You covered almost all my questions!!! Hate I'm late to the party on this review, but interested to know if any owners of this jacket can comment on the sleeve length? I'm 6' 160 athletic/runners build. At first thought, I'd say I'm a medium, but I usually have to strongly consider the L just because of sleeve length. I'm about a 34" dress shirt sleeve, and a 29" draw length....any help on this detail would be much appreciated.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Bad

Good

I bought and returned the Kelvin Lite for the same reasons, although I was fine with the loft.

It is LOUD. Much louder than any other down piece I have. The nylon face seemed durable and weather resistant but not way I would wear it in the field. Sound wise, it was like wearing a plastic bag.

The other big reason I returned it was because the cut is too short. Granted I am 6'5, but my First Lite Brooks in comparison has a drop tail hem that is perfect for sitting. The Kelvin wanted to ride up above my hip every time I sat down. Again, no way I would wear it in the field.

I have wanted and tried some heavier down jackets, heavier than the Brooks but didn't want or need the Chamberlin. I was looking at the Superdown Series from KUIU but came to the conclusion that the Ultra would only be minimally warmer than the Brooks if at all, and that there were better jackets for the $$$ than the Pro @ $400. I ended up ordering the Grumman, so I am looking forward to seeing it.