Stone Glacier Grumman Jacket

Anyone have any experience with this article of clothing... I've been wanting one for awhile. I have a brooks down sweater and love it but want something a with a bit more fill. Is there a better option?

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve had one for over a year and its my favorite cold weather puffy, seems to be quieter then most and is very warm.

Vandy321

WKR
5.3 oz of fill in sewn through construction is not exactly "warm", IMO. It depends on your climate, how you'll use it, etc. I owned it, no longer do, I personally wouldn't recommend packing that any later than Sept in the west.

There are warmer options at similar overall weights for similar price points.

When I held mine up to the light, I could clearly see empty/thin spots in the fill.

OP
M
Vandy. . . what other options do you recommend? I've been reading on the Chamberlin as well

Vandy321

WKR
I onwed the chamberlain as well. Very warm. But very bulky and doesn't pack down well.

All depends on your needs, but I've recommended the montbell alpine (the big green puffy) to many folks and have gotten nothing but rave reviews in return. I will never part with mine. 7.3oz of box baffle fill for ~$300. It weighs about 14oz and stuff down very small.

tdhanses

WKR
5.3 oz of fill in sewn through construction is not exactly "warm", IMO. It depends on your climate, how you'll use it, etc. I owned it, no longer do, I personally wouldn't recommend packing that any later than Sept in the west.

There are warmer options at similar overall weights for similar price points.

When I held mine up to the light, I could clearly see empty/thin spots in the fill.
Interesting, i was fine in low single digit temps last year and the teens this year, i did have layers on that varied I guess and not just it with a base. I find it warmer then my Kifaru.

Vandy321

WKR
Its crazy how different people can vary in temps so much, you couldn't pay me to wear the grumman under 30 deg...far better jackets for the price. I'll opt for the warmer jacket at the same price point and within 1-2oz of weight. >2oz of extra fill and box baffle construction, the montbell is the more capable jacket.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm a wuss when I'm cold.

I bring the montbell in Nov-May and a synthetic Atom AR June-Sept

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Its crazy how different people can vary in temps so much, you couldn't pay me to wear the grumman under 30 deg...far better jackets for the price. I'll opt for the warmer jacket at the same price point and within 1-2oz of weight. >2oz of extra fill and box baffle construction, the montbell is the more capable jacket.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm a wuss when I'm cold.

I bring the montbell in Nov-May and a synthetic Atom AR June-Sept
That Montbell Alpine looks like it would be crazy warm! How is the fit? Looks like the Alpine light is closer to the SG.

NoWiser

WKR
That Montbell Alpine looks like it would be crazy warm! How is the fit? Looks like the Alpine light is closer to the SG.
I’m 5’10” and 165 pounds. The large fits me perfect, but I like a bigger fit. Many my size would probably prefer a medium.

The warmth of this jacket is incredible for the weight. I could not be happier with it. I’ve considered buying a second in case they ever quit making it so I have a spare.

tdhanses

WKR
I gave my SG to a buddy and was just going to get another, just ordered the Alpine instead.

Vandy321

WKR
I gave my SG to a buddy and was just going to get another, just ordered the Alpine instead.
I'm 5'10, 175, wear a large in most stuff, went medium in montbell and it's great. Layovers over base, mid, vest and rain shell. Length is perfect for me as well.

I can guarantee you'll love the alpine, doesn't look as cool as the SG, but I'd rather be warm. Not to hate on SG, I do have their puffy pants, chinook, helio and DH...but the alpine is a winner for puffy jacket.

bpurtz

WKR
I've got a Grumman, Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardware puffy coats - the Grumman is by far the warmest for me. I've used the Grumman several times in teen temps and a couple times in single digit and have never been cold - if I'm doing any exertion hiking, I can't wear it or I'll sweat it wet...

700MtnMan

FNG
I have run the Grumman down in the low teens with good success. I don't have another down puffy to compare it to but have been pleased with it so far.

tdhanses

WKR
I'm 5'10, 175, wear a large in most stuff, went medium in montbell and it's great. Layovers over base, mid, vest and rain shell. Length is perfect for me as well.

I can guarantee you'll love the alpine, doesn't look as cool as the SG, but I'd rather be warm. Not to hate on SG, I do have their puffy pants, chinook, helio and DH...but the alpine is a winner for puffy jacket.
Alpine arrived today, so far its seems like a well built puffy and I can tell it’ll be warm.