Stone glacier hydro lid

Any one out there running a hydro lid on their stone glacier packs? I have one and was curious what bladder works best? They recommended I use the bladder sleeve but it doesn’t seem like it is needed for the lid if I keep my bladder in it?

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking about getting one myself as anyone when using one and it's it better than putting the bladder inside the pack

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running the hydro lid without a bladder sleeve, and it's worked good. The only purpose I could see with a bladder sleeve is extra protection. I've used a 3L Hydrapak bladder, and a 3L Camelback bladder and both work fine. I do think the Hydrapak fits a little better though. I'll run the bladder and some snacks on the one side, and a rain jacket and TP in the back half.

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
Do you find it top heavy or sloppy with all the water weight up so high on top?

Not really at all. I could see the lid wanting to flop around more if you have a really empty pack, but that wasn't an issue for me. As long as you have the lid compression straps tight to the bag, the lid won't flop around. Then inside the lid, the divider in the middle creates a tight enough space that the bladder doesn't move around.

As for being top heavy, it's not something that I personally noticed. I've always had a spotter, tripod, etc. in my pack when running it so that helps balance it out. If your pack was pretty empty and light you might notice it, but its hasn't been an issue for me.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I have one. I will say that some bladders fit better than others. I have a 2l camelback, but it’s kinda long so it doesn’t fit perfect, but it works.

I could see using some sort of protection for the bladder, but there is no need for anything to hold a bladder.

As far as weight, 2l is only 2.2lbs. Not very much weight up top really. I was wondering how it would work if the lid was pulled down tight so it wouldn’t move around with a fairly empty pack. It worked fine.

I have been hiking with mine the last week and I think it’s a good thing. I plan to keep my day stuff in the pouch right below the bladder.

I’ll try to get a picture of mine tomorrow.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a picture of how it looks attached. Its cinched down pretty tight. It could be tighter, but then it interferes with adjusting the load lifters. It doesn't move around though. I have my daily food/snacks in the bottom pocket of the lid.

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
Do you not have any worries that it will leak all over your gear

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
Do you not have any worries that it will leak all over your gear

I don't. I don't have a lot of gear to worry about though either. Most of what I carry can get wet.

Obviously, if it did start leaking, I would take it out and use bottles instead. As you can see in the picture, I carry one extra bottle of water just in case. I've gone back and forth over the idea of using one. I did not use one last trip and wish I did have one when I was hauling meat out. It sure is handy to have water right there to sip on versus reaching back and getting a bottle out or worse yet having to stop and drop your pack to get water.

I do not like water bottle holders on my belt. I tried it for one year and hated how they would flop around.

2L is 4.4lbs. 1 litre weighs 1 kilogram which converts to 2.2 pounds.

I have a hydrolid, it’s a pain in the ass to stuff my 3L camelback bladder in there when it only has 2L of water in it. I use the sleeve inside the pack for bladder storage instead. The SG lids could be slightly bigger and I wouldn’t complain.

*zap*

WKR
One way to carry a bladder in your pack is on the very bottom. Route the hose up and lengthen it if necessary. Since water leaks go down....well that is self explanatory. If your doing it this way a lot you could put a grommet drain hole in the bottom of the pack for just in case the whole thing dumps. Camelbak made an odd shapped 3l bladder for their old rubicon pack that has a bladder pocket in the lumbar area. It would be ideal for a bottom of the pack bladder.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
2L is 4.4lbs. 1 litre weighs 1 kilogram which converts to 2.2 pounds.

I have a hydrolid, it’s a pain in the ass to stuff my 3L camelback bladder in there when it only has 2L of water in it. I use the sleeve inside the pack for bladder storage instead. The SG lids could be slightly bigger and I wouldn’t complain.

Yea, I completely rearranged the numbers in my head.

How do you route your hose out of the pack? Or do you just use the bladder for only storage?

I recently did 3 days/48km in the alpine testing all our gear in preparation for the season and the routing the hose was one issue i did identify. The first two days I didn’t route the hose through the loop on the shoulder strap as it then takes a long time to get the hose out and bladder apart from the bag to fill it. On the third day I routed the hose through that loop, but then just pulled the bladder out of the sleeve and away from the pack but with the hose still routed as shown in the pic. I filled it by dumping another storage bag into it instead of taking my bladder to the creek. 08C2831B-BC47-4833-91D6-2D0386D89F74.jpeg

It’s a 3L Camelback with insulating cover on the tube to prevent freezing. The camelback setups are more rubbery that the poly style platypus or other new brands. The camelbacks seem to be quite durable, but considerably heavier. We are heading to sheep country on Monday and the sheep mountains have been getting a lot of snow this week which is why I installed a tube with insulating tube this early in the season.