Stone Glacier Kiowa 3200 Failure on Hunt

On a hunt in the Mountains of Turkey and the waist belt failed.

Design is fairly unique and lightweight (its biggest plus); without adding post-purchase accessories it is really a mid-sized bucket with a large external pocket. The main external pocket is very useful, and overall the pack has a unique frame and feel that takes some getting used to. However, the waist belt and buckles are just flimsy, do not stay firmly in place, and IMO very poorly designed. I’m currently overseas on a hunt and part of the waist belt backed out of the lockdown loop causing the female part of the waist belt clasp to fall off and it is now lost. Imagine what a time I’m now having going up and down this Asian Mountain with just shoulder straps and only hope it doesn’t end in injury. CATASTROPHIC FAILURE, in the field - where it counts. Retired soldier - been regularly using packs my entire life in countless environments. Never had anything like this kind of failure before - used to lockdown loops staying locked. Packs designed for outdoor use must be rugged, with lock-down ties and buckles that actually lock in place and do not fail. This one might look good at the outdoor show, but miserably failed the most important test of all - actual use on the mountain.

Vandy321

WKR
I’m currently overseas on a hunt and part of the waist belt backed out of the lockdown loop causing the female part of the waist belt clasp to fall off and it is now lost. Imagine what a time I’m now having going up and down this Asian Mountain with just shoulder straps and only hope it doesn’t end in injury. CATASTROPHIC FAILURE

Catastrophic Faiulure? A bit dramatic, no? Sounds like you lost a buckle.

Reach out to SG, they'll take care of you. I'd argue that would have been a better first step.

coyyota

WKR
Classified Approved
Also to anyone who has a Kiowa, or any other SG pack, the waist belt completely backing out on its own doesn’t make a lot sense. I don’t know man, sorry to hear about your situation and hope you get it worked out.

On a hunt in the Mountains of Turkey and the waist belt failed.

Design is fairly unique and lightweight (its biggest plus); without adding post-purchase accessories it is really a mid-sized bucket with a large external pocket. The main external pocket is very useful, and overall the pack has a unique frame and feel that takes some getting used to. However, the waist belt and buckles are just flimsy, do not stay firmly in place, and IMO very poorly designed. I’m currently overseas on a hunt and part of the waist belt backed out of the lockdown loop causing the female part of the waist belt clasp to fall off and it is now lost. Imagine what a time I’m now having going up and down this Asian Mountain with just shoulder straps and only hope it doesn’t end in injury. CATASTROPHIC FAILURE, in the field - where it counts. Retired soldier - been regularly using packs my entire life in countless environments. Never had anything like this kind of failure before - used to lockdown loops staying locked. Packs designed for outdoor use must be rugged, with lock-down ties and buckles that actually lock in place and do not fail. This one might look good at the outdoor show, but miserably failed the most important test of all - actual use on the mountain.
that sucks man, i can certainly understand your frustration.... people have a hard time putting themselves in other people's shoes, but if i was you, i would be pretty pissed... calling stone does you no good for the hunt you are currently on

same thing on a long backcountry hunt, especially if trying to move a lot of weight off the mountain, it's a piece of gear that has to maintain functionality or it can severely impact your hunt/safety

i feel for ya, terrible time to have pack problems

BAKPAKR

WKR
I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. I have Kifaru packs, and even though they are pretty stoutly built, I always carry one of their repair kits that contains a variety to buckles and other components. Stone Glacier probably has something similar. I know it won’t help you on this trip, but getting such a kit might save a future hunt, or at least make it more comfortable. I wish you better luck with the rest of your hunt.

Just a thought, if you took the male buckle off, too, could you use the slider as a non-quick release buckle?

on a side note, it's not ideal, but i do carry spare buckles at all times, from waist belt buckles to compression strap buckles... i probably carry an extra 8oz worth of buckles that never leave my pack period.... had it not been for owning a horn hunter full curl, i wouldn't have ever started doing that, but it seemed like every time i had a really heavy load in that pack, i would have at least one buckle break, which led to some jimmy rigging and less than desirable walks off the mountain with a lot of weight... now i'm paranoid even though i have not had any buckle failure with any other pack system

Lowg08

WKR
Except I think he stated he's out of the country on a hunt using the pack right now, so how is SG supposed to get him a buckle?
They sent extra buckles with my pack when I bought both of them. Never leave home without them. They have been good too me. Hate that you had a failure

Doesn't the Kiowa use the same belt as the krux/X-curve frame? I'm also not picturing the failure. Did the main buckle break? Did the point where the belt attaches to the frame separate?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
However, the waist belt and buckles are just flimsy, do not stay firmly in place, and IMO very poorly designed. I’m currently overseas on a hunt and part of the waist belt backed out of the lockdown loop causing the female part of the waist belt clasp to fall off and it is now lost. Imagine what a time I’m now having going up and down this Asian Mountain with just shoulder straps and only hope it doesn’t end in injury. CATASTROPHIC FAILURE, in the field - where it counts. Retired soldier - been regularly using packs my entire life in countless environments. Never had anything like this kind of failure before - used to lockdown loops staying locked. Packs designed for outdoor use must be rugged, with lock-down ties and buckles that actually lock in place and do not fail. This one might look good at the outdoor show, but miserably failed the most important test of all - actual use on the mountain.

So you had a buckle unthread and your now saying that is a catastrophic failure? If so, literally every pack made has the buckle removable by unthreading the strap.

ChrisAU

WKR
I mean, it sucks. But I’m an extreme amateur and I’ve never worn a pack with a waist belt without a spare waist belt buckle in said pack.

ljalberta

WKR
I would call a broken frame a catastrophic failure, not a lost buckle. That being said, it is absolutely an issue in SGs new belt design, or at least in mine.

I have never had this issue in my Xcurve frame with the old style buckles and pulls. I did purchase a Terminus with the new style buckles and pulls and I can confirm that both my male and female buckle have slid off just gently moving my pack around multiple times. The sewn ends at the end of the straps are certainly too small, resulting in the extremely easy loss of buckles. I mean - gently shake the pack and watch em drop easy.

I have owned 3 different Stoke Glacier frames and 2 Kifaru frames, including multiple additional belts. This has never been an issue before and it’s absolutely not realistic to have to baby these buckles the amount that is required to ensure they are not lost.

I will be addressing this issue prior to taking it on a hunt, or if I reach out to SG, I’m sure they would be quick to do so, but it is absolutely an issue. If someone does not address this prior to taking it on a hunt, I can understand how someone could easily lose a buckle.

SG is an incredible company to deal with. Easily one of the best crews I’ve ever encountered, but let’s not take away that this is an issue.

ChrisAU

WKR
Also, I’m sure any local outdoors/hunting store would have a buckle that would work in a pinch, or you could buy a cheap pack and rob a buckle to make it work. I know I wouldn’t be going up and down a mountain without one. Someone, somewhere, has some 2” buckle you can get somehow.

OP
Spiral Horn
Catastrophic Faiulure? A bit dramatic, no? Sounds like you lost a buckle.

Reach out to SG, they'll take care of you. I'd argue that would have been a better first step
Retired soldier/paratrooper - ask any of us what we think of a buckle, locking clamp, strap, rigging or belt failure. Don’t know how many hundreds of packs and harnesses I’ve used over the years, but rest assured I know how they are supposed to operate. The SG design is flimsy at best, and mine failed in the field on its maiden voyage. Nuff said. If some others here are SG fans - that’s great. Having to Jerry-rig my bag for the rest of the hunt has me much more convinced than any alternative opinions, explanations, aplologists, etc.

Thanks to those who appreciate my situation. The ever-shrinking overseas bag weight limits have really cut down on everyone’s ability to lug all of the kit we want to bring. Pack is essential gear that must be bulletproof. There is no local outdoor store to buy any replacement parts, buckles, etc.

Heading back up the mountain in a few minutes, and certain I’ll be muttering under my breath along the way.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Retired soldier/paratrooper - ask any of us what we think of a buckle, locking clamp, strap, rigging or belt failure.

You keep bringing this up. Yet it has no bearing whatsoever as experience with an ALICE, MOLLE I or II, or Eagle Assualt pack has no bearing on nearly 100% of commercial packs. And when you were soldier/paratrooper were you allowed to have your hip belt just flopping and not clipped it taped away?

Don’t know how many hundreds of packs and harnesses I’ve used over the years, but rest assured I know how they are supposed to operate. The SG design is flimsy at best, and mine failed in the field on its maiden voyage. Nuff said. If some others here are SG fans - that’s great. Having to Jerry-rig my bag for the rest of the hunt has me much more convinced than any alternative opinions, explanations, aplologists, etc.

What failed exactly? Failed- as in broke. Not a buckle sliding off.

Thanks to those who appreciate my situation. The ever-shrinking overseas bag weight limits have really cut down on everyone’s ability to lug all of the we want to bring. Pack is essential gear that must be bulletproof.

You realize that there is no such thing as a bulletproof buckle correct? CIF warehouses are filled with broken “soldier proof” packs.

OP
Spiral Horn
Since the super-moderator has shown up I can only assume SG is a sponsor. So this will be my last post on this topic.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Since the super-moderator has shown up I can only assume SG is a sponsor. So this will be my last post on this topic.

I am not a moderator. That is so I can edit and lock scope eval threads. I don’t know or care who is a sponsor.

My personal view, and why I was responding, is that it seems like you are railing against something that while an issue and maybe can be improved, is not a “failure” and can and will happen to any pack.