Stone Glacier Kiowa 3200 Failure on Hunt

ChrisAU

WKR
While far from ideal, can you weave the “naked” strap through the bars of the remaining buckle in a way that allows you to pull it tight? Just trying to think of ways to mitigate the immediate issue. Or rig a compression strap to the waist belt and use it? I know I could do that with a Kifaru by attaching a compression strap to the PALs/MOLLE on the waist belt.

Rick M.

WKR
Kurt is active on here and usually replies to SG threads, but you came off a bit harshly. It doesn't sound like a break/failure, and certainly not "catastrophic". Either way, I hope you get it figured out. Good luck on your hunt.

Terrible time for any sort of failure. I have the Kiowa and really enjoy the bag. When you get back, get a Kifaru waist belt to use with it. Won’t help now but it’s a definite upgrade.

slatty

WKR
I've never had a SG pack and can't comment on them. Breaking anything sucks especially where you are.
I have broken a buckle on an eberlestock, kifaru, and seek outside pack. I don't carry a spare buckle on hunts close to home but always have replacement buckles on hunts further away. It just happens. All companies were good in replacing the buckle but that didn't help me at the time when I needed to pack out a dead thing and I happened to step on the buckle or whatever. The only catastrophic thing is that you're somewhere far away without a replacement part, and that sucks.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Seems like a pretty dramatic thread title for losing part of a buckle. Strangely enough, this former paratrooper deployed to a foreign land without taping loose buckles or strap ends, or putting a safety- loop attached to said loose buckle piece. Doesn't sound like a repair kit was thought of either. Click bait thread title for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
Yeah, it for sure sucks you’re on a potential once in a lifetime hunt and had this happen. I can understand the frustration but I’m also curious why you decided that it’s maiden voyage should be on an over seas hunt? Wouldn’t you want to bring proven field equip?

Again, sucks, and maybe there could be longer “catch” straps to prevent a slip off.
I wonder if anything has changed? Buckle plastic material? depth of grooves on said buckle? Belt material? Coating on belt material? Length of “catch” strap?

Either way I cant wrap my head around the decision of taking NOT proven gear into that setting

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
Surely others here own a new manufacture SG. Has it happened to yours too that the buckles move too easy? Or is this a sample of one?

OP
Spiral Horn
Day is winding down, so just thought I’d come back to this. Ljalberta in post #14 explained the issue best - he’s owned multiple generations of SG packs and see’s this current SG belt design much more prone to buckles just sliding off way too easily for reliable field use. Do I see this as a design flaw? = absolutely. Just lifting your pack to put it on, should not result in watching your buckle catapulting hopelessly down a deep ravine.

Needed a lighter bag to bring on international airline flights with 8kg carryon limit. Otherwise would have gone in another direction. Saw the SG displays at shows and they are well known for lightweight designs. Became interested in this pack and later pulled the trigger.

For those who say I should have been better prepared for this kind of product failure - you’re right. My CRF has a lanyard, binocular is tethered, brought basic gun tools, med kit, zip ties, Leukotape, etc, etc. But strapping or taping the belt ends completely defeats the SG quick-adjusting belt design. So, I made the mistake of trusting it - my bad. But in all my experience never had a belt lock fail and come apart that easily. With this type of field-failure on a new item I can never trust it again. If I came across too strongly earlier - yeah, I was fuming with disappointment - this bag is quite expensive and stopped me in my tracks until I jerry-rigged a band-aid with additional straps. Now it’s just performing poorly and I’m back to trying to find an Ibex.

Thanks to all with empathy for a gear failure on an overseas mountain, those field-expedient suggestions and the suggestion to find a substitute belt upon returning home.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Spiral Horn,
Sorry to hear about the lost buckle, we would be happy to send you replacement if you would like to reach out to me at the email below. I realize that sending a new buckle does not help you in the field, but here is a very simple fix. By using the existing buckle, you can route the 2" webbing through the buckle and bypass the buckle connection. While you do not have the quick disconnect option, it only takes seconds longer to disconnect via the unthreading through the side 2" tension lock buckle. Similar to how many common belts work. It is every bit as functional once the pack is on, and arguably stronger as you bypass the buckle connection. Photos #1 and #2 below show the routing and should get you back on track until we can get you a replacement. This will also work with many other pack brands. We do also sell a buckle repair/replacement kit for those who asked on this thread. We try to make all of our products as accident-proof as possible.
Additionally, we double back the webbing at the end of the belt so the tab helps catch the webbing end on the buckle. Bending this back a couple times will also help remedy chances of a buckle slipping off the webbing. This is shown in photo 3.

[email protected]

Best
Kurt

Attachments

• step 1.jpg
    step 1.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 157
  • step 2.jpg
    step 2.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 158
  • webbing end.jpg
    webbing end.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 159

ChrisAU

WKR
Spiral Horn,
Sorry to hear about the lost buckle, we would be happy to send you replacement if you would like to reach out to me at the email below. I realize that sending a new buckle does not help you in the field, but here is a very simple fix. By using the existing buckle, you can route the 2" webbing through the buckle and bypass the buckle connection. While you do not have the quick disconnect option, it only takes seconds longer to disconnect via the unthreading through the side 2" tension lock buckle. Similar to how many common belts work. It is every bit as functional once the pack is on, and arguably stronger as you bypass the buckle connection. Photos #1 and #2 below show the routing and should get you back on track until we can get you a replacement. This will also work with many other pack brands. We do also sell a buckle repair/replacement kit for those who asked on this thread. We try to make all of our products as accident-proof as possible.
Additionally, we double back the webbing at the end of the belt so the tab helps catch the webbing end on the buckle. Bending this back a couple times will also help remedy chances of a buckle slipping off the webbing. This is shown in photo 3.

[email protected]

Best
Kurt
Exactly what I was thinking of last night when I mentioned running it through the bar of the existing buckle. Trick we all need to know how to do.

Venom One

WKR
Why the hell are guys first questions and complaints on forums?

I'd guess it's because they're frustrated and just want to vent. Understandable when a 10 cent item fails on a $600 pack and nullifies the whole reason he bought the expensive item vs the cheap option. The OP will probably wish he'd handled it differently later and hopefully some will wish they'd responded differently. We all get frustrated when we "spend the money", but it still bites us. Good response from the OEM.

I wouldn't call it a failure. Definitely sounds like a shitty design though.

If you have to bring an extra buckle because it might break or might fall off and get lost, I would get a different pack I trusted.

WCB

WKR
I wouldn't call it a failure. Definitely sounds like a shitty design though.

If you have to bring an extra buckle because it might break or might fall off and get lost, I would get a different pack I trusted.
Pretty sure I was glad I had replacement compression strap buckles when I slammed one in my tailgate right as I was leaving my truck to pack in for 5 days...and then again when I stepped on my waist belt buckle (female end) and broke it on another trip.

The only reason you bring extra or spares is if something "might" happen. That is the point. This could happen to be a design issue/flaw but other things can happen that justify bringing a repair kit or the like.

Pretty sure I was glad I had replacement compression strap buckles when I slammed one in my tailgate right as I was leaving my truck to pack in for 5 days...and then again when I stepped on my waist belt buckle (female end) and broke it on another trip.

The only reason you bring extra or spares is if something "might" happen. That is the point. This could happen to be a design issue/flaw but other things can happen that justify bringing a repair kit or the like.
I guess if I hunted/backpacked with users like you that are breaking stuff I might bring replacement's for everything also. Since most of the people I am around are careful and not breaking their buckles by standing on them or closing them in a door/tailgate I still think it's not needed.

Obviously your mileage varies.

Last edited:

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Based off some of the comments, I have not done a very good job of communicating the webbing design and fuction. The function is two fold. First, the 2 " webbing can be run through the front 2" center side-lock buckle through only one of the slots, then back through the hip belt tension lock, this is how we send every pack out. This allows the webbing to free flow through the 2" center sidelock buckle, makes micro adjusting very easy.
Second configuration is what we have called "autolock", shown in photo #1. This is were you unthread the 2" webbing from both buckles, thread through both slots in the 2" center sidelock buckle, then back to the tension lock on the hip belt. This gives two locking mechanisms for each side of the webbing and will not loosen under any conditions, even when sitting/resting with the pack on and the belt becomes slack. Some guys have preferred this option only when carrying a very heavy load. In order to reconfigure the webbing in the field to "autolock", you need to be able to easily unthread and rethread the webbing through buckles, which is the reason we have tacked the webbing tail back once. The tail flap can be folded to reroute in the field, even late season when cold and with gloves. A larger, more permanent tail end will not allow this or make it very difficult.
In either case, the part of the design that keeps the webbing from backing through the buckles is bending the tail flap back over so it flares as shown in photo #2. This will cause it to catch and not slip through the buckle, but it can be easily pushed flat to re-route through buckles in the field. I have reminded our staff to make sure we are bending these tails before shipping, but if you have one of our packs, give it a bend with your thumb and you should be good to go.
As always, if you have any specific questions, please feel free to reach out to me. This has been a very worthwhile discussion for me, we will work to get an educational video specific to this design available for customers.

Best
Kurt

Attachments

• autolock.jpg
    autolock.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 99
  • webbing end.jpg
    webbing end.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 97

Dobermann

WKR
I guess if I hunted/backpacked with users like you that are breaking stuff I might bring replacement's for everything also. Since most of the people I am around are fairly competent and not breaking their buckles by standing on them or closing them in a door/tailgate I still think it's not needed.

Obviously your mileage varies.
C'mon man - no need to suggest he's "incompetent" because he's seen accidents happen.

Like @ChrisAU, I also carry a spare waistbelt buckle, as that's a critically-contingent piece of hardware for me. I've never needed it, but others have. That's worth the small amount of weight for me.