Stone Glacier Kiowa 3200 Failure on Hunt

sako75

FNG
I guess if I hunted/backpacked with users like you that are breaking stuff I might bring replacement's for everything also. Since most of the people I am around are careful and not breaking their buckles by standing on them or closing them in a door/tailgate I still think it's not needed.

Obviously your mileage varies.
This guy probably doesn’t even pack a spare tire for his truck or a first aid kit sounds like accidents don’t happen to this guy. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t get out much. Accidents happen you should be prepared

Yeah, hard to have sympathy for the guy. The hardware on any pack is always a liability, carry spares and don't post pointless rants online

Last edited:
I think it’s always tough to pass judgement on others. We are molded by our life’s experiences. I myself have had a pack belt buckle break, so I always have a spare in my truck (I never put one in my pack). Had that not happened I might not be so diligent. I probably take other risks some of you would scoff at, but I assess the probability/impact differently than you.

Jethro

WKR
Our gang has had gear break. We've broken gear. We've lost gear. Between the group, usually with a little ingenuity we make it work through the hunt. Never occurred to any of us to do a mid-hunt forum thread about the problem though.

Reactions: WCB
This thread is a good reminder, and a lesson for some people, to test your gear thoroughly before you go on a hunt. Don't wait until the last minute before you leave for a hunt to buy your gear, weapons, boots, etc.

I have a Kifaru frame and haven't had any issues with it yet, but I'll definitely be buying a spare buckle kit to throw in my gear bin at the truck. Good call.

MattB

WKR
Spiral Horn,
Sorry to hear about the lost buckle, we would be happy to send you replacement if you would like to reach out to me at the email below. I realize that sending a new buckle does not help you in the field, but here is a very simple fix. By using the existing buckle, you can route the 2" webbing through the buckle and bypass the buckle connection. While you do not have the quick disconnect option, it only takes seconds longer to disconnect via the unthreading through the side 2" tension lock buckle. Similar to how many common belts work. It is every bit as functional once the pack is on, and arguably stronger as you bypass the buckle connection. Photos #1 and #2 below show the routing and should get you back on track until we can get you a replacement. This will also work with many other pack brands. We do also sell a buckle repair/replacement kit for those who asked on this thread. We try to make all of our products as accident-proof as possible.
Additionally, we double back the webbing at the end of the belt so the tab helps catch the webbing end on the buckle. Bending this back a couple times will also help remedy chances of a buckle slipping off the webbing. This is shown in photo 3.

[email protected]

Best
Kurt
Maybe send him 2 - one to put on his waist belt and another to stick somewhere in his pack in case something like this happens again.

Early in my backpack hunting career I had a buddy step on and break the male side of his hip belt buckle in the pre-dawn darkness on the season owner. Have never ventured into the field without a spare since

I also learned to always buckle my waist belt when my pack is not in use so the only time it is unbuckled is when the buckle is in my hands unbuckling or rebuckling it.

Phaseolus

WKR
It was noted by the original poster that this was the maiden voyage of said pack. This highlights the need to use and become familiar with your gear before the big hunt.

Honyock

WKR
Had an instance where a guy showed up for an elk hunt with brand new boots that he had never hiked in. I won't give the name of the boot (higher end) since it was definitely not an issue with the boot. The guy bitched and moaned about "overrated boots" and how bad his boots were until he had blisters where he couldn't walk. The point of saying this is, never take essential gear on a once in a lifetime hunt that you have not at least field tested.

This guy probably doesn’t even pack a spare tire for his truck or a first aid kit sounds like accidents don’t happen to this guy. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t get out much. Accidents happen you should be prepared
Do you have a stone glacier tat on your lower back? Trying to understand this reply… considering he is on a hunting trip in Turkey, I’m guessing he gets out plenty

WCB

WKR
I guess if I hunted/backpacked with users like you that are breaking stuff I might bring replacement's for everything also. Since most of the people I am around are careful and not breaking their buckles by standing on them or closing them in a door/tailgate I still think it's not needed.

Obviously your mileage varies.
Yeah I mean probably was a bad idea to bring para cord this year elk hunting. What a dumb idea to be able to fix my boot lace when it got chewed through at night by a mouse. Sit there and tell me someone you hunt with hasn't dropped something or stepped on a piece of gear or knocked something over (whether it broke or not it could have). If you can say none of those things happened get out more. Sh!t happens. 2 broken buckles in 20+ years averaging probably 80+ days a year in the field with no other "major" breakages or failures of gear I am reckless I tell ya.

Now you should probably get back to your reloading bench and get your 1 round loaded up for the year.

I think it’s always tough to pass judgement on others. We are molded by our life’s experiences. I myself have had a pack belt buckle break, so I always have a spare in my truck (I never put one in my pack). Had that not happened I might not be so diligent. I probably take other risks some of you would scoff at, but I assess the probability/impact differently than you.
I agree besides that first sentence… on the Internet it seems really really easy to pass judgment on others 😉

What seems hard is folks putting themselves in the shoes of another

Hey @Kurt -

Any way to retrofit a previous gen x-curve belt with that new forward pull configuration?

My last pack was a Kuiu and had the buckles like that and I found it much more user friendly! Always wished my x-curve was like that..

Wrench

WKR
If my ass was clear around the world, I would have my pocket knife out and whip off some para cord, spin a dally and be back in business. If you have internet, google how-to rig some knots and send us pics of dead animals that speak Turkish.

WOW! I'm about to buy one from SG. Think will invest in a buckle or two. You can always doctor up something surely. I wouldn't be letting a lost/busted buckle ruin my OS hunting trip. My only gripe with SG is, and I might be blind , I cannot see an email address for them on their sight. It's FB or Instagram or whatever. Plus we aussies don't have the luxury of SG, EXO, Kifaru etc shops in OZ. We are such nice people too. While I'm at it. 7900 OR 6900 Tallus 7day trips. Thoughts. I'm a bit concerned as to the height of them. I'm going to call them tomorrow so there won't be any confusion. LOL! Hope the guys hunt goes well for him.