Stone Glacier Layering Review

ccc9092

FNG
807B56F0-DD44-4AB7-B704-282069E43C41.jpegI’m by no means a qualified gear reviewer but I thought I’d share my experience with everyone on the Stone Glacier layering system. I just returned home from a 4 day Sandhill Crane/Duck hunt in northern Oklahoma where the temps were very cold. The first morning was 8 degrees with 15 mph wind! Even though it’s not a rugged western hunt, waterfowl hunting allows you test your cold weather gear. High winds, extreme cold and the possibility of getting wet can push your gear to the max chasing birds or make you extremely miserable. You really don’t know cold until you’ve been duck hunting cold! Plus, I’d just bought the SG gear and was pumped to give it a run.

My system went as follows: Stone Glacier merino wool bottoms & top > SG Helio bottoms & top > Cabela’s neoprene waders > Grumman Down Jacket

Starting with the base layers, I was impressed with the comfort and fit of the shirt and bottoms. Even after four days of hard hunting, they didn’t smell and kept me comfortable the whole trip. As with all SG bottoms that I’ve bought, the length is a little too long. I’m 6ft and wear a size 36 waist, I bought the XL in all pants and they were all a little baggier than expected. I also have the De Havilland pants, which I will have to get seamed because they are too long and drag. Not a deal breaker but worth noting when making such a large purchase on gear.

The Helio bottoms and tops are fantastic. I wear the top most days to work and have found it to be one of my favorite hoodies, even more so than my beloved Sitka. As noted before, the bottoms are a little baggy than I anticipated. The biggest fear when hunting in waders, or anything really is sweat. Even in cold conditions it’s easy to work up a sweat wadding through water, retrieving ducks and setting out/picking up decoys. The bottoms did their job, all my sweat was off my skin and I stayed dry the whole time. Plus, the ability to unzip along my thigh can’t be over looked. When I took off my waders at the truck, I’d consume an adult beverage with the sides unzipped to help dry out my system before packing up, it was fantastic.

The Grumman has to be the best jacket I’ve ever owned. It’s super light, fits true to size and is incredibly warm. Even on days with strong winds, 20+ MPH, the jacket held up but the only negative thing is the outer material is extremely thin so trying not to snag while hiding next to a tree can be tough but that’s the #puffylife. After setting out & picking up decoys your jacket is inevitably going to get wet but it dried quickly. the outer material is very reflective so getting deep into brush or tucking it in my waders was needed to keep from flaring ducks. If there is a downside to this jacket, it would be the reflective nature of the fabric but to be fair any fabric can flair ducks.

Conclusion: Its great gear but truthfully all the high end brands are. FL, Sitka, Kuiu and Stone Glacier are fantastic so it’s hard to decisively say which one is best. The biggest concern is fit, since most brands aren’t available in a store to try on, so figure out which brand fits you personally the best and hunt on. With that being said, having owned all of them except FL, SG is by far the lightest and most thought out designed gear. The packability, breathability and design got me hooked and I also enjoy gear I can wear in my daily life that’s not camo.

I hope this helps and if you have questions, PM me!

Last edited:

ty_ms3

FNG
Nice! Been kinda considering picking up a Helio hoodie and maybe the Grumman jacket. Glad to see you liked them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not used the Sitka heavyweight grid fleece hoody, but how does it compare to the SG helio hoody? I just bought a helio hoody and love it, but it is thinner than I expected and definitely has zero stopping of wind. I'm sure it will do fine with a wind jacket or any other layer over it.

landrun

FNG
Great Review...i've been wanting to try out some of the SG gear and this helps push me in that direction!