Stone Glacier Merino

RFOUST89

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to upgrade my merino base layers this year, I am considering going with SGs Chinook Line. I primarily used First Lite prior. If anyone has any insight to how SGs merino holds up or compares to other brands, it would be appreciated. My issue with First Lite is the merino pills up, and shows wear relatively easy. I know this is common for merino, just seeing if there are better options out there. Thanks Ryan.

Bump79

WKR
I haven't yet tried the SG merino but I have tried FL and worn Core4Element, Blackovis, Icebreaker, Smartwool, Woolx, Canis (midlayer) extensively and have many friends with Kuiu.

What conditions will you be hunting in? The SG merino is a blend with some nylon. While the nylon should make it more durable in my opinion you would be better off with a merino/poly blend as this will aide drying time.

I've always been a big fan of merino but I'm leaning more synthetic these days. To me it honestly depends on where, when and how you are hunting in addition to how much you sweat. I tend to be an active hunter and stay on the move or move then sit to glass or setup. My happy middle ground is the Blackovis 150 which is a 50 merino /50 poly blend. Great price and materials.

CLP

FNG
I used the SG merino all fall and it’s really good stuff. I find it more comfortable than the Kuiu line and it was definitely tougher than the few pieces of First Lite I’ve worn. I highly recommend it.

OP
RFOUST89

RFOUST89

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't yet tried the SG merino but I have tried FL and worn Core4Element, Blackovis, Icebreaker, Smartwool, Woolx, Canis (midlayer) extensively and have many friends with Kuiu.

What conditions will you be hunting in? The SG merino is a blend with some nylon. While the nylon should make it more durable in my opinion you would be better off with a merino/poly blend as this will aide drying time.

I've always been a big fan of merino but I'm leaning more synthetic these days. To me it honestly depends on where, when and how you are hunting in addition to how much you sweat. I tend to be an active hunter and stay on the move or move then sit to glass or setup. My happy middle ground is the Blackovis 150 which is a 50 merino /50 poly blend. Great price and materials.
Thanks for the insight. I live in eastern Washington, most of my hunting is in mid September and October. I have considered going with a blended fabric before. Ill check the black ovis stuff out.

OP
RFOUST89

RFOUST89

Lil-Rokslider
I used the SG merino all fall and it’s really good stuff. I find it more comfortable than the Kuiu line and it was definitely tougher than the few pieces of First Lite I’ve worn. I highly recommend it.
Good to know thanks for the help.

Vandy321

WKR
I have SG, smartwool. The blend in the Chinook makes it extremely comfortable. I bought the Chinook about a year ago, wore it all spring/summer and then for 8 days each in Sept/Nov elk. I wear it as a daily shirt also. I don't wash my stuff on pack in hunts and It kept the stank down very nicely.

It's honestly showing zero wear, pulling, etc. It's thinner than my smartwool 180g/ms (I think they said) vs smartwool 250, so don't think it's fair to compare drying times. But it does stay dry/dry out very well.

Zero complains overall. I'll be buying another set if these ever wear out.

OP
RFOUST89

RFOUST89

Lil-Rokslider
I have SG, smartwool. The blend in the Chinook makes it extremely comfortable. I bought the Chinook about a year ago, wore it all spring/summer and then gor Sept and Nov elk. I wear it as a daily shirt also.

It's honestly showing zero wear, pulling, etc. It's thinner than my smartwool 180g/ms (I think they said) vs smartwool 250, so don't think it's fair to compare drying times. But it does stay dry/dry out very well.

Zero complains overall. I'll be buying another set if these ever wear out.
Thanks for the reply, based on their ig feed looks like they might be working on a merino hooded i think. My biggest concern with spending the money on a full new set of merino is the fabric breaking down. Sounds like I wont have to worry too much. Thanks.

Just to interject my $.02, I have pieces from most of the players out there. For the value and performance, I don't think you can go wrong with Black Ovis. I absolutely love it. I am also wearing my Mountain Ops merino today, and I think this is a great piece too. At the end of the day, the margins between the companies is pretty minimal. I will echo the same sentiment about the FL material. I have had issues with them, so I have moved on from their merino products.
Let us all know what you go with. You have piqued my curiosity though with the potential of a SG merino hooded top!!

OP
RFOUST89

RFOUST89

Lil-Rokslider
Just to interject my $.02, I have pieces from most of the players out there. For the value and performance, I don't think you can go wrong with Black Ovis. I absolutely love it. I am also wearing my Mountain Ops merino today, and I think this is a great piece too. At the end of the day, the margins between the companies is pretty minimal. I will echo the same sentiment about the FL material. I have had issues with them, so I have moved on from their merino products.
Let us all know what you go with. You have piqued my curiosity though with the potential of a SG merino hooded top!!
Will do thanks!

Pettit877

FNG
I’ve ran the chinook merino for over a year, from walleye fishing Erie from April to October, and hunting all fall. By far my favorite merino, stronger than FL.

Eric