Stone Glacier or Exo

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
Im trying to decide on a new pack for some upcoming hunts and Im stuck between Stone Glacier and Exo mountain packs.. I want something I can wear for a day trip all the way up to 10 days in the back country hunting Caribou, moose etc. I am doing a road trip this summer and will be going to Bozeman and can go direct to check out SG... Need some help guys. Oh as for where it will be getting used.. Anywhere in British Columbia so all kinds of conditions.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
Personal preference is all it is. I love my exo 5500 and have had one since they started. I'm sure people like their stone glaciers but ive had no reason to change from exo.

handwerk

WKR
I've had a couple of the exo 3500's, nice packs but I currently have the SG X-curve w/5900 sky talus and do like this bag/frame better. For me the frame fit better and handled loads more comfortably, especially when things got heavy.
Both great companies , if you can stop by at SG they'll take care of you.

Kotaman

WKR
I've owned plenty of both, but prefer SG. Both make an excellent product but I prefer the frame on the Stone Glacier.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
I cant speak on exo but I currently have a SG- R3 5900 on the krux evo frame and I love it. The frame feels like its "part of my body?" So to speak. I've had weights from 30 to around 90lbs in it and I have no complaints. I have not tried the x-curve frame but as of now I have no reason to. I really like the layout of the SG bag. It's simple, functional and sleek. I havent really heard any negatives on exo and between the two companies I would say the quality, functionality, and performance is exceptional for both making a guys decision solely personal preference. sorry I have no experienced comment on a comparison but I hope this helps a bit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both and go back and forth between the two. However if you are going 10 days I would want something larger than my Exo 5500 and I would use my Sky 7200. If Exo made a larger bag, then you might have more of a debate.

These packs were packed for a 7 day trip. One is a Sky 7200, the other an Exo 5500.
A few different pics here. You can see how stuffed the Exo was. It got smaller as I ate up the Mt House meals, but definitely would like to see an EXO 7000+

I think both packs are solid packs, the gripes I have with SG were around how the shoulder pads fit, that has been addressed with the newer frame.

Exo fit me better out of the box, buy SG worked hard to dial my fit in and nailed it.
For 10 days + I'd lean toward SG's current version of the Sky 7200 (Sky Guide)

For what it is worth, I pack light, but am not an extreme light weight guy.

Good news is both companies have great customer service, quality products, and support Rokslide so you really can't go wrong. : )

OP
BCBowtech

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the comments... Im sure it comes down to fit and preference so hopefully Ill make it to Montana this summer as planned and can check em out..

87TT

WKR
I only know about how well my EXO fits. Haven't tried the SG but it is probably OK. I only have the 3500 and am pretty sure I could do a week or more easy. I have backpacked a lot in the past so maybe I pack smaller and lighter?

JDB9818

WKR
I had an Exo 3500 and currently have a SG Sky 5900.

I really liked the bag layout of the Exo but I couldn't get that pack to fit me comfortably no matter how hard I tried. I wanted to love it but just couldn't.

The SG on the other hand fits me nicely and I am very happy with it. I also like that bag layout and I think it carries weight well. I had the opportunity to haul a moose quarter last fall and I was very happy with the performance.

I think they are both great options and it just comes down to what fits you the best.

Good luck.

I've had them all. Stone glacier gets my vote. If you are on a budget get the mystery ranch glacier model. $150 new if you look hard enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have both and go back and forth between the two. However if you are going 10 days I would want something larger than my Exo 5500 and I would use my Sky 7200. If Exo made a larger bag, then you might have more of a debate.

These packs were packed for a 7 day trip. One is a Sky 7200, the other an Exo 5500.
A few different pics here. You can see how stuffed the Exo was. It got smaller as I ate up the Mt House meals, but definitely would like to see an EXO 7000+

I think both packs are solid packs, the gripes I have with SG were around how the shoulder pads fit, that has been addressed with the newer frame.

Exo fit me better out of the box, buy SG worked hard to dial my fit in and nailed it.

Good news is both companies have great customer service, quality products, and support Rokslide so you really can't go wrong. : )
The 5500 is only the main bag volume on the EXO. It's a little over 7000 with side pockets and lid. An EXO 7000 would be like 8500ci lol. You could pack the kitchen sink... if you could find one in carbon fiber.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've done quite a few backpack hunts in AK. The Exo 5500 with food food for a 10 day trip is stuffed full. The Sky 7200 right next to it much less so. I'm not trying to argue, we all pack different. And I am not bashing the Exo in any way. I think both packs are amazing. But, for my use I found that while the Exo 5500 could haul my load, I much preferred the pack bag size of the Sky 7200. 10 days of food with a few days of emergency rations (I've been stuck at an air strip waiting on a plane more than once in AK) is a lot of volume in a bag.

I am not saying my way is the right way or the only way, just explaining my experiences and personal preference for a pack for a 10 day trip. For me bigger is better, one can always cinch these bags down and the few ounces the larger pack brings is worth it to me.

I have had both the 3500 and 5500 Exo's and now have the SG sky archer 6200 with x curve frame. The Exo maybe slightly was more comfortable as the frame moves with you and the Exo packs are by far the easiest packs to detach and adjust. I thought over 60 lbs the Exo hip belt and lumbar pad felt like they started to sag down a little.

The SG frame definitely isn't as rigid to resist barreling. Now I haven't hauled meat with it yet, but it hasn't been an issue with a sand bag for training. The hip belt and lumbar pad seem to stay put with heavy loads.

In my head I still think about going back to the Exo, but I think I will hunt with the SG this year before I make my final decision. There is something really nice about the simplicity of the Exo pack. However, the SG bag seems to use higher quality hardware and webbing.

OP
BCBowtech

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
Where in BC do you live I’m on Vancouver island I have a stone glacier 6900 and a buddy of mine has an Exo 5500.If you are close I can get both packs in one place for you to try them
Dude that would be amazing.. Im in Langford..

Daddy

FNG
Both are excellent packs, I've been to the exo mountain shop in Idaho where they make em and it's the real deal. It comes down to what fits best for you. I broke my back a few years ago and thought I'd never pack heavy again but I got an exo mountain and now I'm hauling heavy comfortably

babayaga2440

Lil-Rokslider
I’m trying to decide on Exo or Kifaru right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe they are coming out with a Exo 6400. Seen it on their instagram page 2 or 3 days ago