Stone Glacier or Exo

When you get into these high end packs it's really a personal preference of fit comfort in the end. A few different features and sizes but a great fit is critical. I have owned them all in triple. I currently carry a SG X-CURVE. Incredible comfort. I previously owned a krux & Evo. Both killed me. The X-CURVE was completely the opposite.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Im trying to decide on a new pack for some upcoming hunts and Im stuck between Stone Glacier and Exo mountain packs.. I want something I can wear for a day trip all the way up to 10 days in the back country hunting Caribou, moose etc. I am doing a road trip this summer and will be going to Bozeman and can go direct to check out SG... Need some help guys. Oh as for where it will be getting used.. Anywhere in British Columbia so all kinds of conditions.

I personally have never used an EXO pack, but I have heard great things about them. I use the Stone Glacier 6200 and 3300 depending on the hunt with an X-Curve frame. Hands down the best pack I've used. Everyone has a different opinion, and have different ideas on fit. I do know the SG is built for the toughest sheep hunts and the hardest eastern muley hunts. If you can, try them both out and see what you like the best. There is no right or wrong answer it is just what fits you best and is comfortable.

jnordwell

FNG
I was in your boat a few months ago. With back issues needed something better then what I had.. went between the big 3..didn’t like the fact you need to buy a extra part for the Kifaru or exo to use just the frame.. SG has built in sling so a guy helping a buddy out or for the 2,3,4 trip can be just the frame.. SG won out for me. Went with the krux evo frame I have a flat back and that fits my needs. And then came the bag thoughts.. wanted a big bag for the one purchase.. so I got the sky archer 6200.. in this configuration empty the pack is 4.8 lbs. and with what I call a day hunt set up it is 17 lbs. fits my needs and they went above and beyond to help me.

madcalfe

WKR
I rock the SG talus 6900 works fine for 10-14 day hunts. You can’t go wrong with either, I wouldn’t get a 5500ci though. Exo I think is coming out with a 6500 this year and new frame. Soo, order a SG now or wait till july when exo starts shipping out their new packs

Stoke_82

FNG
As far as backpack discussion go. I'll say being able to try on walk around with some weight in the pack is ultimately the best way to find a pack you will love. Just wish there was an easier way other than purchasing and returning to do this in British Columbia

Personally have tried on an EXO 5500 from friend. Doesn't fit me. I'm 5'9" 185 and have a bit more of a shaped back and broader shoulders. Trying to find a Kifaru duplex lite and SG XCurve to try on before I spend the nearly grand.

madcalfe

WKR
As far as backpack discussion go. I'll say being able to try on walk around with some weight in the pack is ultimately the best way to find a pack you will love. Just wish there was an easier way other than purchasing and returning to do this in British Columbia

Personally have tried on an EXO 5500 from friend. Doesn't fit me. I'm 5'9" 185 and have a bit more of a shaped back and broader shoulders. Trying to find a Kifaru duplex lite and SG XCurve to try on before I spend the nearly grand.

Where abouts in bc are you?

Reactions: scp

Tanner.L5

FNG
I know some people mix and match their frames to packs. Read lots of good things about a SG frame with Exo pack, but gotta do what fits best for you. Personally, I’m still trying to find my ideal setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I rock the SG talus 6900 works fine for 10-14 day hunts. You can’t go wrong with either, I wouldn’t get a 5500ci though. Exo I think is coming out with a 6500 this year and new frame. Soo, order a SG now or wait till july when exo starts shipping out their new packs
The EXO 5500 is actually 7200ci all in with the side pockets and lid volume included. 5500 is just the main compartment size. The new 6400 bag will be 6400 ci, but the main bag compartment is bigger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bughalli

WKR
I tried SG, EXO and Kifaru. SG felt the best under heavy loads. Nice balance of rigidity and comfort. It fit really well and made the load feel lighter than it was. It was quite noticeable on longer hikes. The SG hip belt was best out of the three. I like EXO bag design better, but fit and comfort under load was more important to me.

Stoke_82

FNG
I tried SG, EXO and Kifaru. SG felt the best under heavy loads. Nice balance of rigidity and comfort. It fit really well and made the load feel lighter than it was. It was quite noticeable on longer hikes. The SG hip belt was best out of the three. I like EXO bag design better, but fit and comfort under load was more important to me.
What frame did you go with ? Do you have a curved or flat back

Stoke_82

FNG
Just thought I'd post an update. I purchased a SG Serac1700 with XCurve. I've had it out on a couple short 5km hikes now loaded with a daypack setup and a 50lbs sack of quikrete cement.

This pack fits my body well and other than ordering a smaller waist belt after the fact (go smaller than you think). The pack has been great. Load seems to balance well ( not yet a sack of movable meat I know) but hey it's the right weight to train on some smaller hikes.

I'll try to remember to post again during hunting season for a bit of a review on what I can see as being a solid daypack that I can load out for a 2-3 day hunt with a drybag in the meat shelf.

One complaint with the design is the xpac material they use for what I can only assume is the scope pocket. Would have loved some kind of cinch to better grasp the scope as with my Kowa 663 angled the tripod plate sits at the exact right height to be able to cinch it into the pocket.

Overall can't wait to put some miles on with this pack.

Cheers all

Stoke_82

To add to my original comment I currently use the SG excurve. I decided to buy the Exo K2 5500 that was on sale and compared it next to my SG. As much as I love the Exo it just does not support or carry a heavy load as well. I believe Exo fixed this issue with their new K3, but I will be sticking with my SG this year.

Basically the SG lumbar pad and the rigid wings that go into the hip belt is the reason the SG pack stays up on your hips much better. Again, from the things i've read Exo tried to correct this.

tjihrig

FNG
I ran the Stone Glacier sky archer last year. I love the frame but the bag is a $300+ army surplus duffle bag. The “water bottle holders” or whatever they are on the side of the bag are way too big and don’t have elastic which leaves them not really good for anything. Their are no external pockets. Every time you need to get something out of your bag it’s a gear dump and a yard sale. I bought the Exo and I’m much happier with the spandex torpedo pockets on the back and sides. Also the SG has no place for a water bladder other that putting it in with your clothes and sleeping bag. That will end you hunt quick. I’m keeping the stone Glacier but I’m going to have it remade like the Exo with torpedo pockets.

Love my SG X-Curve but completely agree on their bags. Definitely overpriced duffle bags. They are all the same except size and where the zipper is located. Exactly how Kifaru was until Aron came along.

Tempe.243

FNG
I have had the EXO 3500 for a season and love it. Fits me like a glove and dig the weapon carrier. Works for archery and rifles hunts; used it for both. The lid and quick access pockets work great for snacks and storing the light puffy after the desert sun hits. Accessory pockets and meat hauler seem well thought out. Very adjustable and will the 3500 would be a good hand-me-down to the 13-year-old boy.

The 3500 was maxed out on a 4-day backcountry trip, but I had to lug in a lot of water. I will be stepping-up to the 5500 for the next one.

Jimss

WKR
I didn't read through all the posts but would highly recommend Kifaru! More decisions...I know! The thing I like about Kifaru is there are so many different pouch, lid, and pocket options to customize your bag. Also, there are more bag options once you have a frame. I also liked the fact that Kifaru offered several camo patterns. If you read through ratings you'll likely notice how many posters recommend Kifaru due to the comfort of their belt. Lastly it's nice having a frame that can support 100+ lb loads!

I would highly recommend a 6,000 cu in bag or larger. It's possible to cinch down a larger bag but if you don't have enough room you are screwed! I tend to bone and pack a lot of larger critters (elk and moose in particular). I also pack out lots of capes...including life sized mtn goat, sheep, bear, etc. I've spent a lot of time hunting multi=days in Alaska on sheep and goat hunts. All of these trips require a larger volume pack. I actually have a 5,000 cu in Kifaru bag that hasn't spent any time on my frame! I have no problem grabbing my large volume Kifaru bag on day hunts or scouting trips...it's that comfortable!

I've used and abused my Kifaru for years and would highly recommend taking a look at them. There are lots of videos about their bags and frames on their website. If I wouldn't have bought Kifaru I would have bought a SG but I'm super excited I went with Kifaru!

Reactions: scp

tjihrig

FNG
Something less controversial like which is the best religion my be an easier question.. I’ve run both packs and they’re both great. I prefer the EXO because I like the setup on the bag better. The SG bag was too much of a duffle bag for me. But other folks live that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk