Stone Glacier or EXO

OP
Death from above
With all the craziness going around, just couldn't see me getting to Bozeman in the near future. Called SG and talked with Andrew about my wants in a pack. Ordered the EVO 40/56 With several accessories. I will report in on this thread as soon as my stuff gets here. For now I can honestly say that dealing with Andrew was one of the best customer service experiences I have ever had. So far SG is tops on my list...
#StoneGlacier #RepTheRam

ljalberta

WKR
Make sure to really load it up with weights that you will realistically be carrying. Incredible frame, but was very apparent even at 50lbs how much better the Xcurve carried weight and fit my body. Really incredible how lightweight that setup is though.

OP
Death from above
Make sure to really load it up with weights that you will realistically be carrying. Incredible frame, but was very apparent even at 50lbs how much better the Xcurve carried weight and fit my body. Really incredible how lightweight that setup is though.
For definite. I'm only 5'5" so it seemed that the EVO was the better choice.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
With all the craziness going around, just couldn't see me getting to Bozeman in the near future. Called SG and talked with Andrew about my wants in a pack. Ordered the EVO 40/56 With several accessories. I will report in on this thread as soon as my stuff gets here. For now I can honestly say that dealing with Andrew was one of the best customer service experiences I have ever had. So far SG is tops on my list...
#StoneGlacier #RepTheRam

I felt the same way. Talking with SG on the phone is like talking to an old friend. I found myself ordering more and more from them and the list keeps growing. I did visit Kifarus showroom and tried on one of their frames. It was okay on the initial fit but it didn’t wow me. I never did get to test it with weight. Whoever helped me might have been having a bad day, but it seemed like I was in their way. So I decided to keep looking and I’m glad that I did. SG is top notch gear.

OP
Death from above
My SG order came today. My first impression when I opened the box, "This stuff bleeds quality!" More as I try her out...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
#StoneGlacier #RepTheRam

the 40/56 is a cool pack. I have one but it’s in an xcurve frame. I like that Kurt designed it himself as the ultimate sheep pack for his needs.

For what it's worth, I had my Exo K3 out this Sunday for a short hike. I rigged up my Osprey baby carrier to it using the crib panel which actually worked really well. Between the osprey carrier, my kid, and a few odds and ends I probably had a little over 40lbs on the pack. I'm comparing this pack to my Kifaru Duplex Lite. I felt like the Exo handled 40lbs better than my Kifaru. It was super comfortable and the way the frame moves sideways with your body made it more comfortable than my Kifaru. The updates to the lumbar pad and the hip belt are huge improvements. No slipping (i know only 40lbs), comfortable, no hot spots. I think what it comes down to is the Kifaru is probably going to handle 100lb packouts a little better. It's a stiffer frame, built like a tank etc. But for the 50lbs pack ins and the day hunting where you want your bag to compress as small as possible, I think the Exo is hard to beat.

Curious why you think duplex lite is better for heavey loads? K2 or K3 have zero barreling and due seems stiffer vertically.

renagde

WKR
Curious why you think duplex lite is better for heavey loads? K2 or K3 have zero barreling and due seems stiffer vertically.
I don’t know that for a fact, it’s just my speculations. I haven’t had the chance to put 100lbs on my Exo. I do know that my Kifaru handled heavy loads really well and from all the opinions of people I’ve heard, that’s where they excel.

OP
Death from above
Got everything fitted and put together, for the most part. Very impressed to say the least. Was a bit concerned about the belt size, especially with cold weather or rain gear on. Called Andrew at SG on Friday (3/20/20) to talk it over. He assured me that it was no problem, and that he was sending another belt for me to try. Keep the one that I liked, and ship the other one back. All on SG's dime, which I didn't expect. Checked the tracking number today (3/23/20), and it said that the package was out for delivery. By no means am I slighting any other pack company, but SG is the real deal!!! The quality is top notch, and the customer service is off the chain. Thanks to all the folks at SG. More to come as I run the pack with 40lbs.while hunting sheds.
#StoneGlacier #RepTheRam #AwsomePeopleAtSG

Exo. I’ve experienced both. The lid on the SG is frustrating and hangs low. I packed our almost 175 lbs with my exo last year with zero damage. I’m 100% sold on exo.

OP
Death from above
Exo. I’ve experienced both. The lid on the SG is frustrating and hangs low. I packed our almost 175 lbs with my exo last year with zero damage. I’m 100% sold on exo.
I have a couple of friends running Exos and they love them as well. The SG just seemed to fit my likes and needs better. Time will tell.
One thing I know for certain about Exo, is that Steve Speck is a first class guy!!! I've done business with him at S&S for several years, and he has always exceeded expectations.

Have you tried the K3?
I have a K3 bag, which I really like, but I haven't tried the K3 frame. I had the K2 frame but returned it after the single center stitch popped on the hip belt and the foam started ripping off within a few weeks after I got it. I opted out of trying the K3 after word got out that they were disintegrating and snapping in half. Figure I will stick with my Kifaru frame and the exo bag from here on out.

I have a K3 bag, which I really like, but I haven't tried the K3 frame. I had the K2 frame but returned it after the single center stitch popped on the hip belt and the foam started ripping off within a few weeks after I got it. I opted out of trying the K3 after word got out that they were disintegrating and snapping in half. Figure I will stick with my Kifaru frame and the exo bag from here on out.

Gotcha! Yeah I gonna give the k3 a try. No worry anymore about the frame cracking as they went back to using titanium. And they replaced every single frame with titanium that was previously purchased.

I wouldn't say no worry, they didn't test the titanium with this frame and belt design like they tested the aluminum. The titanium could still do the same thing as the aluminum due to an actual overlooked design flaw. Going back to the titanium is obviously their only move right now and I hope it works out for them, but idk if they're out of the woods yet.

I wouldn't say no worry, they didn't test the titanium with this frame and belt design like they tested the aluminum. The titanium could still do the same thing as the aluminum due to an actual overlooked design flaw. Going back to the titanium is obviously their only move right now and I hope it works out for them, but idk if they're out of the woods yet.

Well since they had no crack failures with the same titanium on the K2 I would say they will be just fine. The K2 and K3 are pretty much identical from a shape standpoint.

OP
Death from above
A lot of great info I’m debating the same thing now!
I've not ran an EXO, but I have friends that do, and love them. Steve at EXO is a great guy to deal with, and is a straight shooter. I have done business with him at S & S for a long time.
That being said, i absolutely love my SG. I think the simplicity is one of the best features. It's well made, comfortable, and the folks at SG were awsome to deal with. Andrew went over and above to see that my question were answered, and that i was 100% happy with my purchase. The shipping was super fast as well. I think in the end it comes down to personal wants and needs in a pack. Get the one that you feel has the most features that YOU need.

cssmith85

FNG
Got everything fitted and put together, for the most part. Very impressed to say the least. Was a bit concerned about the belt size, especially with cold weather or rain gear on. Called Andrew at SG on Friday (3/20/20) to talk it over. He assured me that it was no problem, and that he was sending another belt for me to try. Keep the one that I liked, and ship the other one back. All on SG's dime, which I didn't expect. Checked the tracking number today (3/23/20), and it said that the package was out for delivery. By no means am I slighting any other pack company, but SG is the real deal!!! The quality is top notch, and the customer service is off the chain. Thanks to all the folks at SG. More to come as I run the pack with 40lbs.while
#StoneGlacier #RepTheRam
I have heard nothing but incredible things about their packs and customer service. My Evo 40/56 is on its way and should be here this week. Super excited!