Stone Glacier or EXO

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I haven't been impressed with the K2 belt so I think I'll upgrade. Appreciate the perspective and pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its subjective. order both and return the one you don't like or find someone locally and load them up and see for yourself. Exo sucked for me with a load. kifaru and SG are a notch above imo. Went went the xcurve because of the fit and the load shelf felt more comfortable. it also cinched down and was a little more lighter and compact than the kifaru in daypack mode.love the kifaru belt though.

I was between those two and kifaru, went with SG because I could get my hands on one and see it in person. No idea if the exo frame would fit me better, but I certainly like their bag designs more than anyone else.

SG for me. Ran the Exo K2 for a couple years and loved it. Sold the K2 ordered the K3. K3 uses a 3 piece belt w Velcro and that Velcro will fail under heavy loads leaving you without a hip belt unless you have some gorilla tape to hold it together! Happened to me and a couple of others I know. Went SG and never looked back. More comfortable than the Exo, lighter, built in load shelf and heavier duty buckles. In the bigger packs Exo K3 tend to roll when loaded full where the SG does not.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve been lucky to play with several packs and after going back and forth for years, I’ve settled on the stone glacier pack. The solo is a great pack and I’ve done 3 days with it. Right now I have the 7900. If I’m backpacking that’s what I take, if I’m out moose or bear hunting I use my Barney’s pack.

GotDraw?

WKR
I own both. PM me and I'll give you the details. One is far better when heavily loaded. I also bought and tested Kuiu's larger backpack.

JL

Last edited:
Just curious, do you prefer Stone Glacier Solo or Exo K3 3200 from those who use them and why?
Try both on. Some frames just fit you better than others. I switched from a mystery ranch to an exo to a SG, but I hunt with a dude who is solid and set on his MR, my other hunting buddy swears by Kuiu. Steve rinella still wears an outdoorsman's a lot, and my dad somehow still loves an older badlands... anyways, there's tons and tons of good gear on the market now, find the one that feels the best on your back and that's the best one for you. Hope this helps!

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never tried on or worn a stone glacier pack but I like my exo pack. It’s really nice, fits god and I got for a heck of a deal so I can’t complain

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
Recently only used eberlestock. Wasn't impressed. Now i only whitetail hunt 99% of the time as of right now but I just picked up a EXO K3 4800 and absolutely love the fit and feel. Holds a load for me just right. with minimal adjustments as well. I think I got lucky. But I'm seriously in love and impressed with the feel of the bag. Next bag will probably be a kifaru

Just curious, do you prefer Stone Glacier Solo or Exo K3 3200 from those who use them and why?
It’s going to be totally personal for YOU… both great packs that will come down to how they fit you.

I love my exo (and kifaru) but have not used a stone due to their frame length… if they made a shorter option, I would have tried one long ago

I don’t want a 26” frame on the coast, but they are obviously a top shelf system

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
I have a EXO at the moment and I really love it super comfortable I love the set up and look of it.However while hiking in the rain back to camp the straps holding my rifle to the pack kept loosening, to the point I had to stop 3 times in about 4 miles to retighten them and eventually tied knots. As the rifle was shifting so much. So for my sheep hunt I will be looking for a diffrent pack.

Ive used the SG Xcurve frame the most and loved it and loved the meat shelf. Its thin but very stiff lumbar pad, although wasn't uncomfortable, wasn't always the best feeling. It also allows the pack to stay up on your hips under heavy load which is why its designed that way. So pick your poison.

I ordered a kifaru and exo and just started testing them side by side last night. I definitely like the exo bag layout better, but so far the Kifaru just feels better with a load. The kifaru shoulder straps feel much better as they attach to the belt and not the frame, creating a wider stance. This is good for bigger chest guys. The Exo feels like it cuts off circulation under my arms as the shoulder straps attach to the frame, creating a narrow attachment point. It feels better when I loosen the straps but when I put 100lbs in the bag i needed the shoulders straps snug and felt the numbness again.

In addition, I compared both packs side by side and its obvious why Kifaru weighs more. The buckles are much more solid and don't bend or flex like the exo buckles when I squeezed them tightly. Kifaru's side stretch pockets (Gnargali bag) are 2 layers of fabric and the exo is single layer of fabric. All reinforcements, components and stitching are just beefier. Its it needed? Well that's up to the individual to decide.

Also, one key thing for me was Kifaru padding on the frame where it sits against your back is directly on top of the frame sheet/stay. This keeps the padding sturdy and stops anything from pushing through into the padding which you can feel on your back. The Exo padding is inset from the frame tube so the padding has no real solid surface behind it, only the cordura fabric which flexes quit a lot. I could feel the sand bag pushing through the padding when I bent over.

Just a few things to consider when deciding between packs. Again SG is one of my favorite packs and only went away from it to try Kifaru again. I will say no pack hip belt compares to the kifaru. I chose the KIfaru Gnargali because it uses xpac fabric on the back of pack so no blood would bleed through if packing meat on the load shelf. The one downside to the gnargali bag is it has no zipper to main bag, which I prefer but am getting used to it.

Exo runs a waterproof pocket for the water bladder right up against the back of the bag. This acts as the same barrier your talking about while also protecting everything in the bag from any water bladder leaks, punctures or bursts.

Not an exo owner yet but have been watching DAYS worth of reviews and I think exo has won me over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ebf3e521b4793e7294f183bc2c9042d6.jpg
The waterproof material is only on the main compartment side of the bladder pocket. The main bag cordura material makes up the pack frame side of the bladder pocket.

The pocket does work for keeping your main bag dry if you have a bladder failure and has a grommet at the bottom as a drain hole. I had my hose pop off the bladder during a hike and it worked as designed. However, I think they should have used the waterproof material to line the entire bladder pocket. I've had blood leach through the cordura and onto the outside of my water bladder when using the load shelf. It wasn't the end of the world but obviously isn't preferable.

sivart

WKR
Packs are like boots. You really have to find what fits you. I ordered and tested Stone, EXO, and Kifaru. What I found was the kifaru frame (specifically the belt) was the most comfortable for me, and it wan't close.

As far as bags go, I much prefer the EXO or Stone. Mainly because they are much lighter, and have better thought out pockets. Much easier to access the load shelf as well.

I really don't like any of the kifaru bags, and I've tried many. I also don't like taking an already heavy bag, and having to add pockets. I have a kit ordered to try and get the exo bag to fit the Kifaru frame. For me, this will be the best of both worlds.

Packs are like boots. You really have to find what fits you. I ordered and tested Stone, EXO, and Kifaru. What I found was the kifaru frame (specifically the belt) was the most comfortable for me, and it wan't close.

As far as bags go, I much prefer the EXO or Stone. Mainly because they are much lighter, and have better thought out pockets. Much easier to access the load shelf as well.

I really don't like any of the kifaru bags, and I've tried many. I also don't like taking an already heavy bag, and having to add pockets. I have a kit ordered to try and get the exo bag to fit the Kifaru frame. For me, this will be the best of both worlds.
This is pretty much how I feel.

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
i have never had a pack that sits and stays on my hips like the sg xcurve. i appreciate the simple streamlined design of the sg as well. i ran a metcalf for a couple years as well as an osprey and id have to keep adjusting the hip belt on packouts under heavy loads. the sg is head and shoulders better than the ranch imo. its probably worth mentioning that i have a pretty deep curve in my lowback which may be part of the reason for the better performance in the xcurve.