Stone Glacier pack color discrepancy?

Confusing things further, there is coyote tan and coyote brown. I think I've seen them denoted (in other places) as tan 498 and tan 499, but I'm not certain that correlates perfectly.

OP
CO2130

CO2130

WKR
98a107ac0e1e72f822a53d235453c1f0.jpg

I guess it is more tan than green, and looks in line with bowhike’s above. Definitely is nothing like their online colors, but it will work the same.

I was hoping to find less d*** riding and cult like following from SG vs. Kifaru but that doesn’t appear to be the case. “Who cares about the color go use it” seems to be the trend. It will get used more than most of the people saying that will use theirs, but when spending $700+ it would be nice to get what you believe to have ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98a107ac0e1e72f822a53d235453c1f0.jpg

I guess it is more tan than green, and looks in line with bowhike’s above. Definitely is nothing like their online colors, but it will work the same.

I was hoping to find less d*** riding and cult like following from SG vs. Kifaru but that doesn’t appear to be the case. “Who cares about the color go use it” seems to be the trend. It will get used more than most of the people saying that will use theirs, but when spending $700+ it would be nice to get what you believe to have ordered.

You sound angry towards a bunch of folks that were trying to be helpful.

OP
CO2130

CO2130

WKR
You sound angry towards a bunch of folks that were trying to be helpful.

Not angry at all. Very glad people chimed in and provided helpful insight. That post should’ve been more directed towards the few that said it doesn’t matter go use it.

OP
CO2130

CO2130

WKR
I'm sorry you didnt like the answers you got. While theres a bunch of cult BS that follows those brands, I dont see it in this thread.

While the color doesnt matter IMO, thats not the point. If you arent happy with it, send it back and get what you want.

Arguing with customer service on the phone over it, then going to the forums getting everybody's opinion. Before calling CS for round 2. Really?

I dont get it, I wish I had that much free time on my hands. Send it back or don't

I have no issue with the answers I got. I ordered exactly what I wanted, although what I received varied. I’m also very interested to know how you’re able to tell I argued with CS? Called twice? You are extremely delusional. I emailed them one time with a very kind and respectful email. And they replied in the same manner. I’ve never called, never argued, yes I did post here to get some other opinions. You shouldn’t speak on situations you have no knowledge of.

You have plenty of free time on your hands if you’re here providing no helpful insight.

valtteri

FNG
I always laugh a little when I see the "color doesn't matter just use it" comments. I wonder if these people would be content with pink backpacks...

I would say color is a pretty tricky thing to represent on screens though. Just look at your own floor in these photos. Which is the "true" shade of brown of your flooring?Screenshot-2023-09-27-at-20.58.42.jpg
For a quick test I put your third photo next to the SG product photo to see how much color tweaking would be needed to match the two:Screenshot-2023-09-27-at-21.07.19.jpgOn the right-hand you will see the only changes I did: a small change in overall hue and saturation. Those are actually very small adjustments. Now what is the "true" hue of that fabric: the image captured by your camera or by the camera at SG?

There are multitude of other factors at play that I won't get into, but this would be the high-level question.

I'm not trying to get you riled up OP, I was genuinely interested in seeing how much of a difference there was between these photos. I work in visual design and trust me, I'm picky about color. The whole Kifaru ranger green variation thing was just so disgusting to me that I had to switch brands and go all SG! :D

Color is also a very subjective thing and while based on this test I personally can't really say SG mispresented the color, I totally understand you may feel differently.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This picture doesn't show true colors well, and its definitely too dark, but i hope it helps illustrate a point. Both are Govt color Tan 499, mil-spec Cordura brand 500 denier nylon, from the same source, but clearly two different rolls. The bottom piece is definitely tan while the other has a brownish-gray hue. I don’t know SG's sources, photo system, or anything else, but I have learned colors vary by roll within an allowable range. I suppose anything outside that range gets rejected, sold as second quality, etc.

I also encounter substantial variation with foliage green, from a light sage gray/green to something darker with more green, closer to ranger.

20230927_130536.jpg

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Look above at the ^ post then go look at my post again. Before referring to people trying to help as d*** riding cult followers.

This is common with most of the high end pack manufacturers. On top of that cordura will fade if you use it, changing even more And since you grew a set and told us you’re going to use it more than everyone else either do that or send it back. A hue difference is normal with every big pack manufacturer I have owned. Simply the message I was trying to relay.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
They do have a point on being picky about how “tan” something is.

Usually it’s only guys who barely use the gear that care if their “tans match”. Them and also guys from New Jersey in the mid 2000s.

If you’re that worried about your tan being “tan enough” just call SG and see what they say. You can always return it and find another pack that’s “more tan”.

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
I personally don't see any difference between the pack colors and the website.

Especially the picture taken in the outside lighting.