Stone Glacier Packs

Bassf123

FNG
Which Stone Glacier would y’all recommend for day/ short bivy elk hunts? I’m staring dlwn
The solo 3300, but don’t know if it’s what I’m looking for, particularly because I can’t get my hands on any of them where I’m located..

Grover

FNG
I just bought the Solo 3300 and love it. Most important thing is that it fits. Everybody is a little different and would recommend you try one on if possible or exchange it if you buy it on the web. I went back and bought the lid as well and it has plenty of room for overnight trips.
BTW, if you are anywhere near Boise, ID let me and you can check mine out.

Last edited:

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Stone Glacier Solo 3300. I love it. Ive packed out over a dozen elk with it and it's handled everything Ive thrown at it. The heaviest peak I've had on my back was two antelope that wwe just skinned, cut in half and threw in game bags. I strapped both of them to the pack and hiked out two miles. The pack was 120lbs(I'm the first to call BS on people who exaggerate and talk about their heavy packs but I actually weighed it on a scale). Overall, the Stone Glacier is comfortable, the frame is stiff, and my guess is that any normal person will fail long before their packs do.

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 6900 and love it. It’s Fairly streamline and Compresses down nicely for a day pack.

OP
B

Bassf123

FNG
I just bought the Solo 3300 and love it. Most important thing is that it fits. Everybody is a little different and would recommend you try one on if possible or exchange it if you buy it on the web. I went back and bought the lid as well and it has plenty of room for overnight trips.
BTW, if you are anywhere near Boise, ID let me and you can check mine out.
I wish I were closer!! Thanks for the offer anyways!

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Stone Glacier Solo 3300. I love it. Ive packed out over a dozen elk with it and it's handled everything Ive thrown at it. The heaviest peak I've had on my back was two antelope that wwe just skinned, cut in half and threw in game bags. I strapped both of them to the pack and hiked out two miles. The pack was 120lbs(I'm the first to call BS on people who exaggerate and talk about their heavy packs but I actually weighed it on a scale). Overall, the Stone Glacier is comfortable, the frame is stiff, and my guess is that any normal person will fail long before their packs do.

Danggg!

Tradchef

WKR
I ran the R3 3300 and loved it. I agree with the guys above.....the solo or the R3 3300 or if you think you want a bit bigger bag that compresses awesome the 5900 is pretty sweet too.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Sky Archer and Love it. If I was just a rifle hunter I would get a Sky 5900. They compress down great as a day pack. My next pack will be a 3300 with the lid just for extra capacity. I think I could do 3-5 nights pretty easily unless it was late season and i had bulkier layers.

I also run a 3300. I use a lid and an access bag for some extra space when needed and if I put camp/food in a dry bag between the bag and frame I can go 5-7 days

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I have the sky 5900 and it does compress down. Way down. I’ll get a picture tomorrow, but I have it all packed with everything I need(plus more than I need probably) for day hunts. It’s smaller than the pack I was using which was a Alps 2700cc pack.

*zap*

WKR
My 6200 is no way too big for day hunting deer here at home. The space will come in handy when I pack in warm layers for real cold yet is compresses down to nothing when not loaded. Really no downside to that size bag for me.

I was considering the 3300 but ended up getting the 5900 and love it! It is like a 3300 with an extra pocket and room to expand if needed.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a few views of my pack as it is set up for day trips. I hunt from a truck/wall tent camp, so I just carry everything I need for the day and for processing.

The bottom of the hydrolid is where I keep the day's food/snacks. The yellow bag is my wool gloves and beanie just in case I get that cold. The purple/pink is where I keep extra batteries, headlamp, wet wipes, and a protein bar(just in case I run through the day's food and get hungry again, lol). The orange bag is my emergency kit. The black bag I keep in the main compartment, and it's my kill kit.

One thing that sold me on the Sky 5900 is that front zipper pocket and the side access pocket for the main compartment. Perfect size for easy to get to items and both compartments are as easy to get to by undoing two auto-lock buckles.

Total pack weight is about 16lbs. I am sure I could cut another lb or so, but it carries really well. Plus, if I get tired I can pull out the trekking poles and it takes a little over a lb off, and I have 2lbs of water on board.

The last picture is a comparison to the pack I was using. It is cinched up as tight as it will go without sewing more straps on it. It's also completely empty.

I was having a hard time decided between the 3300 and the sky 5900. I decided to go with the sky for a couple different reasons. One I can take off the lid and then the bag isn't too much bigger than the 3300. I also like having the extra room if I do find that I need it sometime. If you need more room in the future its difficult to magically make the 3300 larger then it is. Another reason I liked the design of the 5900 and the different access points. Just my thoughts thought. Both great bags.