Stone Glacier Packs

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I hear you on the pocket. Just didnt know what to think of it. All my other packs I put the platty in the lid or designed pocket at the top, so no issues with access for filling. I'll work something out for this pack easy enough.

"dumbed down"..... I was more toward "no nonsense", but yeah, nothing too it.

Right now its just a wait and see on the load hauling comfort. I suspect the first trip will include a stop or two to adjust things. Kind of hard going from a bent stay pack to a pack board style, though thats where I came from years back. Not bad, just feels different.

crap! I just got home from hunting near Bozeman a couple of days ago, I would have love to take a look at one if they have a show room.
Looking forward to a report!

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Yesterday I did 9 hours in the mount Margaret Back country (goat country) with 30# in the pack.
Short version: I'm keeping it!
Honestly I was a little skeptical of the flat frame and how the pack felt initially at my house. It wasn't uncomfortable, just different from my pretty well form fitting Badlands 4500. A few minutes up the trail and I pretty well forgot about it and got to hiking. Then after gaining 1000 foot in about a 1/2 mile and getting pretty sweaty I noticed something. My back wasn't soaked like it gets with my badlands. This thing really let's your back breath.
The pack was just as comfortable the last 30 minutes as it was the first 30.
Will have to wait and see how it is for durability and heavy loads.

OR Archer

WKR
Looking at the two different offerings it lists the weight the same for each. Has anyone put these packs on a scale to confirm their actual weights?

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Waist belt was fine. But I've never owned Dana or Kifaru, only fondled them.
Mine was maybe 2 or 3 oz over advertised using my digital fish scale. Its not calibrated ore anything. The letter with the pack said they were an ounce or so over due to the extra strap lengths for more adjustment and suggested trimming the straps once you decide how much length you need. I haven't trimmed, but the straps are quite long. I'll trim once I use it for a season and have a feel for what I need.

Benny

FNG
I've gotten two hikes in so far with it...only 4 miles each and 80lbs. The pack, to me, is a combo of a lot of different packs. This is only my opinion so take it at that but it feels a lot like a 6500 when its loaded. Frame flexes a lot like a NICE but this pack has load lifters that are tied into the frame so it doesn't barrel quite as much. Load sling sucks everything down as good as a Crew Cab but I think is a bit better thought out in that when everything is sucked in tight, the top of the bag isn't compressed super tight so you can still get into it, CC user's will know the frustration with that. Shoulder straps and they way the bag is connected to the frame resemble the new '12 Icon. Time will tell with the longevity aspect, such lightweight fabrics usually are't big fans of a lot of use but we'll see? Only time will tell....

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like a great pack and a nice weight. What I'd like to see is in order to tighten the hip belt, I find it less difficult if it's a pull toward the center stlye instead of trying to pull it toward your side. Functionally, it just makes more sense and you can really crank down on it when needed.

It looks like a great pack and a nice weight. What I'd like to see is in order to tighten the hip belt, I find it less difficult if it's a pull toward the center stlye instead of trying to pull it toward your side. Functionally, it just makes more sense and you can really crank down on it when needed.

I am also not a fan of the center buckle where you pull to the side to tighten. One other option that I never see on production packs is cam buckles. I really like them on my pack even if they are a tad heavier than some other designs. I imagine most snap buckle type belts could pretty easily be converted to cam buckles if one was willing to alter their pack. Even if sewing is needed I have had several modifications made by a local upholstery shop and their sewing has been bulletproof and pretty cheap. Every time it has been done on the spot while I watched, the most recent being to add some strapping to my waist belt to connect up a holster or a corral gunslinger, it took 10 minutes and cost under $10.

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
@ Chesapeake - are you concerned with durability? Is the back panel and shoulder straps made out of the same mesh material that Mystery Ranch uses? Did you experience any slippage on the waist belt buckle? Seriously considering one of these packs but concerned lightweight = less durable which is tough to justify at >$550...

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
The mesh over the foam on the shoulder straps and belt is the same or similar to many packs. Couldnt say if it was the same a Mystery ranch.

There is nothing about the pack that sticks out as being a weak point, or that you would expect the fail. There are high stress points like where the load cell straps and load lifter straps come together at the frame tips. These look well bar tacked as do other such points. The pack fabric itself feels like a mid weight cordura and has some type of plastic liner bonded to it.

I'm not concerned about the durability, its just something I havent tested yet.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
My new Solo was delivered today, exactly as promised. Just finished fitting it and have hauled around about 30lbs and really like it. However, the real test will come this weekend as I am going to complete a 13,000ft summit in Colorado since I have no tags at the moment. Will report when I get home Sunday evening.

How'd the summit go?

Benny

FNG
Sorry, @Benny too

The straps and wastebelt on the SG look like the same material as the underside of the shoulder straps of an MR...but it's lighter weight material. I'm not worrying about longevity or durability. Kurt's solid, if something isn't right or is wearing too fast, he'll fix it. No slippage, ladder locks all work like they should.

Pack is solid, again, to me it wears/hauls a lot like a 6500.

G Posik

WKR
Just ordered mine. Should have it by the weekend. I do not have any trios planned for the remainder of the year but there is always the last minute invite by others.

Glenn

jherald

WKR
These packs are solid. Frame and design are very different than anyhing out there. Extremely lightweight as well. The company is run by someone who made a real world hunting pack with a minimalist design for lightweight hunting. The service has been some of the best of any company I have ever dealt with. These packs are well worth it. Anyone looking for a light pack which can haul and handle a load should check them out.

jherald

WKR
Fillthefreezer, I am 5'8'' 165 lbs but a different build. 41'' chest 33'' waist. The pack fits me fine and I've run 40 lbs in it as a tester. It was a pleasure to pack around. It took some adjusting to get the fit right because the frame is tall but the velcro attachments for the shoulder straps adjust in seconds and you can easily find your fit. The waist belt cinches down to about 29''. If you factor in your layers, belt,pants, shirt, jacket, etc, you should be fine. I'll try to post some pics when I get time. I went with the Terminus and it is a monster of a pack.

However, Kurt had explained to me that the fit of his design is not made for everyone and just wont work with certain people. The frame is a completely flat design but I was surprised at how well the pack fit and how comfortable it was once I had the adjustments right for me.

He has a good return policy, as long as the pack isnt dirty or damaged you can return it if you cant make the pack work for you.