Stone Glacier Packs

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
There was a good thread going here yesterday, but looks like it was deleted.

Glad you brought that up, I was starting to think I lost my mind!

The packs look interesting and I am curious to see how they stack up in the next couple of years against the competition. The manufacturer looks and sounds like a dedicated backpacking hunter that is dedicated to quality lightweight gear so hopefully it pans out. I love this page.

http://www.stoneglacier.com/about.html

FNG
They are nothing like the Kuiu frame. This pack is different than anything out there. The entire thought process, design and function is unique. Which is really amazin
g considering the amount of packs in production these days.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
They are nothing like the Kuiu frame. This pack is different than anything out there. The entire thought process, design and function is unique. Which is really amazin
g considering the amount of packs in production these days.

You sound like you have a bit of personal experience with these packs and frames. How will the spotting scope pocket attach? Was that not built into the design in an attempt to make the pack as light as possible?

sk1

WKR
Did I miss it or is there no side pockets for easy spotting scope and tripod access as that would be a downside for me anyways.....I glanced at the website quickly late last night

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did I miss it or is there no side pockets for easy spotting scope and tripod access as that would be a downside for me anyways.....I glanced at the website quickly late last night

They have stuff like that under accessories.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It doesn't look like there is much there for side pockets. I think the frame looks like a combination of the KUIU and Duplex frames.

I wouldn't even look at this for quite a while though, let other people do the grunt work and figure out what needs to be fixed.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
His pictures on the website also show him with MR Longbow on his frame. He says that he modified a frame, my guess would be the NICE to come up with this design.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
His pictures on the website also show him with MR Longbow on his frame. He says that he modified a frame, my guess would be the NICE to come up with this design.

It does look a lot like a NICE frame and load sling. I like Mystery Ranch products and solely use a NICE 6500, but they sure could stand to go on a diet!

FNG
You sound like you have a bit of personal experience with these packs and frames. How will the spotting scope pocket attach? Was that not built into the design in an attempt to make the pack as light as possible?

I do. I actually just carried this pack in Azerbaijan on a Tur hunt. I've been carrying some sort of proto-type for 3 years now. Those pics you see that look like MR packs are actually bags that Kurt sewed himself using Multi-Cam. I actually sewed a shelf on my Longbow in attempt too arrive at something similar. It worked good but it was still 6 lbs. All the fluff has been removed from this pack. The spotting scope pocket wasn't added because not everybody wants one. I'll be carrying the spotting scope cover on my Dall hunt next week. I didn't carry it in Azerbaijan. This frame is more comfortable than the NICE frame by a long shot and it has load lifters that really allow you too put the load where you want it. The load lifters on the NICE frame are non-existant. This is a totally different concept than the KUIU frame. The load sling is similar to MR's, I'm not sure why they didn't run with that concept. I used MR's for a long-time.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I understand not making the spotting scope part of the pack due to everyone wanting something different but I am a bit worried about how the optional pouch or pocket is going to be attached since there is not much on these packs to attach accessories onto.

FNG
I'll be using one on the next hunt, I'll take pleny of pics and have a full report. I have some experience with it now and I think it's going too work just the way I want it too.

Looks slick! I know a couple people that tried to actually haul heavy loads for a long way using the Nice6500 load sling and none were thrilled about it because there was no functional load lifter in that configuration. Looks like these have solved that problem. Be interesting to see how it plays out. An additional rear pocket and side pocket accessories would be nice. It doesn't seem to have much in the way of a lid pouch which I wouldn't like. I also prefer access to the lower portion of the pack via a sleeping bag compartment zipper. I do really like the trick with the camelbak though! Folks using the platypus big zip and sawyer in-line filter would be able to refill their water in record time!

dotman

WKR
live links to the pack site will get the thread nuked.
pictures of the interior layout would be nice

Seriously! I can understand a link in a sig but we can't post links in threads?

Only time will tell but when i'm ready to add a new smaller pack this will have become a dud or stud :) then i'll be more interested.

wapitibob

WKR
"Seriously! I can understand a link in a sig but we can't post links in threads? "

that's the only thing in the last thread that would get it nuked from what I saw.

Bushcraft

FNG
I can see the similarity to the KUIU frame, but it doesn't look anything like the Mystery Ranch frame to my eye.

If anything, it looks exactly like a Kifaru Duplex frame on a diet.

Allen