Stone Glacier Quick Release Rifle Sling pointers

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys. Been running the SG EVO 3300 for a few years mostly for scouting so I never added the rifle sling. With on optics heavy hunt coming up, I decided to run the sling

Lyle sent me one as a comp (they’re less than $30 bucks if you decide to buy)

96cb693250df38847800e43603f64b91.jpg

Pretty simple system. Lower sling:
8113cfdde8411849cc1d08e350606d03.jpg

Upper Tri-slide and quick release buckle
5e51fbce06e8419d8181ed3bef85451e.jpg

They have an instructional video on their site.

Although it’s just a few minutes long, it took my thick head about 20 minutes to get the sling installed and adjusted. Most people will get it faster

The video shows all you need BUT when he mentions the 2nd Tri-slide, he doesn’t mention that it’s already attached and must be removed. Again, I’m pretty dense, so I called SG. They figured it got left off so they shipped me one overnight although I didn’t ask them to.

About an hour later they called and asked me to check if it was already attached to the sling and not loose as it appears in video. It was! But they’d already shipped it overnight. I’ll call in and reimburse them for shipping which I doubt they’ll let me. My fault but they could make it clearer in the video or include an instruction diagram.

Anyway, video says you have to remove the bag. I was able to install it by just loosening the bag
6ba85e2275148cd093bf738a36641e22.jpg

I got it installed

425eb0667c60a81ae753dfe21bbe4878.jpg

979c2b6565bde6a44ab9e475d06068bc.jpg

I practiced with the quick release. I couldn’t do it as slick as Pete in the video, but with some practice, should get there.

Make sure the silver pull strap that tucks into your shoulder harness can’t be obstructed by the load lifters or frame or the quick release buckle won’t work. If you have a straight line of pull, it releases every time.

5dd83419946ab3110ffd0e4e25a68bdf.jpg

2756fc29ff1005da9ec7f83e5a3ff6ba.jpg

I’ll post up more pics from the hunt and feedback after I use it more. If any questions or feedback, post up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I really like mine Robby, been using for 5 or so years now at least with several different pack brands. I use it anytime I don't need to have the rifle in my hands and no chance of a quick offhand shot. I reach across and grab the barrel with my left hand and then pull the quick release with my right and it pops right out and then my right naturally can grab the stock near the grip. Long hikes in the dark and pack outs you really start to appreciate this.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I’m happy with my SG pack, but I had to throw that sling away. Multiple times the buckle popped lose causing my rifle to fall while hiking in and out. Maybe I got a lemon, but I was using it correctly. The kifaru gun bearer is nicer for me because you don’t have to take off your pack to re sling your rifle and it hasn’t failed me yet. Good luck on testing this sling, just be mindful and maybe give it a couple good tugs to be sure it’s secure.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback ,that's what I was hoping for.

@doverpack12 I'd heard in our classifieds it could go on multiple brands. Have you had any of the release problems @Pacific_Fork has had?

Pacific, thanks for the warning. I'll be mindful of that.

Update, I did call in to reimburse for shipping but they refused. And the guy on the phone didn't know I was associated with Rokslide, just wanted to make a (dumb) customer happy.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback ,that's what I was hoping for.

@doverpack12 I'd heard in our classifieds it could go on multiple brands. Have you had any of the release problems @Pacific_Fork has had?

Pacific, thanks for the warning. I'll be mindful of that.

Update, I did call in to reimburse for shipping but they refused. And the guy on the phone didn't know I was associated with Rokslide, just wanted to make a (dumb) customer happy.

Robby mine has never popped loose on its own. Just pay attention and make sure the strap is square in the cam buckle and not running at an angle. I also make sure there is a little slack in the light grey tether so I don’t accidentally pull the rip cord.
Ive used the sling on EXO (which was the most sloppy or allowed the most rifle movement because I only had the top attached to a side compression and not around a frame stay), several KUIU packs and two SG.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby mine has never popped loose on its own. Just pay attention and make sure the strap is square in the cam buckle and not running at an angle. I also make sure there is a little slack in the light grey tether so I don’t accidentally pull the rip cord.
Ive used the sling on EXO (which was the most sloppy or allowed the most rifle movement because I only had the top attached to a side compression and not around a frame stay), several KUIU packs and two SG.

Hey man, that’s what I need to know. Thank you

OldGrayJB

WKR
I've been thinking about buying one but I've seen mixed reviews. How much does it allow the rifle to move while hiking and if you were to bend forward? I worry that the bottom of the stock might be swaying 3 or 4 inches.

It really doesn’t move much unless it hits something and then I would say it should move. Some will depend on the pack, if it’s SG or has a stay to loop around really almost no movement. You also need a strap at the belt to thread the bottom cradle under which helps keep it from moving around and limits how much movement there can be if it does move.
when I bend over I don’t even think about it, once in awhile depending on the angle the butt sits in the cradle it might want to roll just a little when bending over. A little adjustment in the cradle/butt angle and it stays put.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've been thinking about buying one but I've seen mixed reviews. How much does it allow the rifle to move while hiking and if you were to bend forward? I worry that the bottom of the stock might be swaying 3 or 4 inches.

Well I’m a complete living room jockey at this point with zero experience on the mountain with the system, but in my testing last night walking around with it and bending down and standing back up, it moves very little.

If you watch the video on how Pete recommends setting it up you’ll see how you run it under the compression straps on the belt, and that holds it right against the belt. But definitely deferred to Doverpacks opinion, because he’s used his a lot. I’ll post more in a week or two after I’ve hunted with it.

OldGrayJB

WKR
It really doesn’t move much unless it hits something and then I would say it should move. Some will depend on the pack, if it’s SG or has a stay to loop around really almost no movement. You also need a strap at the belt to thread the bottom cradle under which helps keep it from moving around and limits how much movement there can be if it does move.
when I bend over I don’t even think about it, once in awhile depending on the angle the butt sits in the cradle it might want to roll just a little when bending over. A little adjustment in the cradle/butt angle and it stays put.
Thanks. I should have mentioned It'll go on my SG x-curve. I think I'll go ahead and order one.

WA209

FNG
Can you lower the rifle butt sling so the barrel isn’t so high above your head?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. I should have mentioned It'll go on my SG x-curve. I think I'll go ahead and order one.

Let us know what you think. I’ve worn mine some more since I first posted this, and I’m really not getting any movement or Slack at the butt

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Can you lower the rifle butt sling so the barrel isn’t so high above your head?

Yes, looking at mine it looks like I have about three more inches of down adjustment.

I ended up putting both that and a gun bearer on mine. I don't know if my shoulders just aren't mobile enough or something for the SG but I really struggle to get ahold of the strap. I use the gun bearer while hunting and the SG when I'm heading in or out of somewhere and I want the gun out of the way.

I have one on my krux frame and it’s always been solid. When I ordered everything I asked if they could put the needed attachments on the left side of the frame as I’m a left handed shooter. When I received my frame everything was setup on the left side. I’ve always appreciated that extra effort from SG.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just came off 11 day hunt and used the quick detach system 10 of them. It took some more adjusting, but I got it dialed. Only 2x in the hunt did the stock come out of the sling (after sitting down to glass, it puts slack in the sling and the gun can come out) but neither time did the gun fall out when I started hiking. the gun doesn't sway when hiking either once adjusted. I won't hunt without it when running anything beyond a day pack. Hands-free is so nice.

I'd give the product a solid 8+. really happy with it. I'll try to get a short demo video up asap.

PA Hunter

WKR
I put that sling on my Sky Talus 6900 could not get it released quickly or easy at all. I put the Kifaru sling on also but took the SG but stock cradle off now I have beast of both worlds. Kifaru carry in front & SG carry on side of pack. I must say I like the Kifaru style better.

I put that sling on my Sky Talus 6900 could not get it released quickly or easy at all. I put the Kifaru sling on also but took the SG but stock cradle off now I have beast of both worlds. Kifaru carry in front & SG carry on side of pack. I must say I like the Kifaru style better.

I noticed if I had the clip rotated toward the front the release took a bit more of a pull to get it to pop open. I slid it further back and had no problems after that adjustment.