Stone Glacier Re-Warming Drill

I have screwed up the base layer until I watched this. I wanted warm as possible. Had been Merino for a while when it was THE thing to do (3-5 years ago). Went back to Synthetic. But too thick. Same mindset....more warmth. I will change this post haste to ultra thin Synthetic. Great lesson

ljalberta

WKR
I like merino due to the smell factor on longer hunts. I might have to give Aerowool a try this year though. I'd love to benefit from a little quicker drying, but still keep a milder scent after a week or so going hard.

Yeah I goofed the base layer thickness thing too. I used to beef up the base layer as the temps drop. Aero wool year round now.

10ringer

WKR
I'm no expert on surviving hypothermic situations, but if I were in that situation my guess would be to remove the wet clothing and build a fire. Am I off base here? Fire would help dry the clothing and provide a source of warmth beyond just my internal metabolism. I guess a downside of that is that you'd have to build your fire outside the tent, where it might be very windy, which can steal heat away very fast. I guess you might also have very little finger dexterity to get that fire going?

I’m no expert either but I have done this drill. If you had spare clothes yes strip wet clothes off and get into your bag immediately until your core temp is back to norm. If all you have are the clothes on your back, you have to do it the way you saw in the video. Building a fire is down the list a bit for survival. Number one is shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am curious the difference in KUIU's treated down vs Stone Glacier. According to the lab tests I believe KUIU's down (Quix Down) out lasted the HyperDry before wetting out.

Couple things to Note:
1. The DWR treatment appears to be different between between Quix Down and Allied Feather.
2. Quix Down is 95:5 down/feather ratio vs. Allied Feather 90/10 down/feather ratio.

10ringer

WKR
I am curious the difference in KUIU's treated down vs Stone Glacier. According to the lab tests I believe KUIU's down (Quix Down) out lasted the HyperDry before wetting out.

Couple things to Note:
1. The DWR treatment appears to be different between between Quix Down and Allied Feather.
2. Quix Down is 95:5 down/feather ratio vs. Allied Feather 90/10 down/feather ratio.

Try the re-warning drill with both setups and report back to us !!

Or someone could measure the weight of both coats dry, then submerge them in water for a fixed period of time, let them hang for a fixed period of time to remove excess water then weigh each to see how much water they retain. I would love to see this test done with a mix of current outerwear offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for thin synthetic base layers- check OR's Echo line, Patagonia Capilene Lightweight and Sitka's Core Lightweight appear to almost identical- a very light, grid synthetic; OR and Sitka offer hooded versions

if you use merino, look for very lightweight and ones that use a blend of merino and synthetic (70/30 merino/syn works pretty well)

I'm no expert on surviving hypothermic situations, but if I were in that situation my guess would be to remove the wet clothing and build a fire. Am I off base here? Fire would help dry the clothing and provide a source of warmth beyond just my internal metabolism. I guess a downside of that is that you'd have to build your fire outside the tent, where it might be very windy, which can steal heat away very fast. I guess you might also have very little finger dexterity to get that fire going?

Idea is special operations teams and backpackers have to use the only set of clothing they have to dry them and warm themselves. A fire probably isn't an option for military as your trying to be stealthy.

Reactions: RCB