Stone glacier sizing.

samhelmer

FNG
I am looking at picking up some SG gear. Dehavilland jacket and pants specifically and possibly the helio line. I wore a 32 size Sitka timberline pant and large core midweight shirt. Also a large kelvin lite hoody. Is the stone glacier similar in sizing? Based on the sizing chart, it says I should go closer to mediums. Any experiences out there with similar sizing?

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’ 175lb and 33-34” waist. I wear medium pant, both the regulars and the lites. I wear large on the helio top, grumman and new base layer. I

Vandy321

WKR
I'm a 31-32" waist, right on the border of their pants med vs small...I went small as the mediums were too baggy and the extra fabric made them even louder than they are already.

My SG puffy is a Med...the large is freakishly large on me, I also wear a lg in my sitka core stuff. I'm a med in the Chinook layers from SG.

All that said, I bought a SG t-shirt in med....I think the tag should read schmedium, way too tight and a tag short.

Their fit, unfortunately, is a crap shoot.

5'10, 175 athletic type

OP
samhelmer

samhelmer

FNG
I'm a 31-32" waist, right on the border of their pants med vs small...I went small as the mediums were too baggy and the extra fabric made them even louder than they are already.

My SG puffy is a Med...the large is freakishly large on me, I also wear a lg in my sitka core stuff. I'm a med in the Chinook layers from SG.

All that said, I bought a SG t-shirt in med....I think the tag should read schmedium, way too tight and a tag short.

Their fit, unfortunately, is a crap shoot.

5'10, 175 athletic type
Thanks. I sure wish I could try it on first, but I’m guessing I will fit the same sizes as you, or very close. How is the length for you on the small pants?

Vandy321

WKR
How is the length...

Length is great. I will say, the waist size for the pants is pretty spot on...the small is a what 28-31" they'd is 32"-35"? Whatever it is, ive got the smalls maxed out with a 32" waist...but I also hate belts under my pack. I can still fit 2 merino layers under the smalls. The mediums would be the safe bet, but for me they just felt huge. I also have a medium in kuiu pro pamts and it fits more like the small SG. Street clothes im a 32/32 in carhartt.

Good luck

K_pem

WKR
I would go M bottoms and Large tops. SG is definitely an athletic fit. I wear a 32/L in Kuiu and L or XL in Sitka tops and i went with SG M bottoms and L tops. For reference im 5'9-10ish about 190lbs athletic build.

huntkansas

Lil-Rokslider
Echoing what most have already said. I'm 32" waist.. give or take an inch depending on fitness and whatnot. Athletic build. I've got original SG dehavilland pands in Medium and they fit great. They aren't quiet and wouldn't use for archery, but they are great pants. Had original helio top in Medium and it was just too tight for me. I originally ordered medium and large and sent the large back.. I'd go with the large if I had a re-do. Curious if the fit on the new helio tops are different. Hope that helps.

Same with the above posts.. im 6' tall 175lbs athletic build and i wear the same sizes in sitka as the OP. I also feel like im kinda in between sizes in the SG tops and bottoms. Medium pants for the m5 were perfect for me. I got medium tall in the new dehavilland pant(all that was i stock at the time) and a plain medium the lite version and they both were quite baggy and long on me, the lites were just as long as the other pair that was supposed to be a tall lol, i figure a small would probably be too small so i just got out the sewing machine and made them shorter, and tighter from the knee pad stiching down which is where most of the extra material is. I prefer the fit of the sitka apex pant and i usually tailor my pants to fit like them with less extra material to swish at the bottom. The large helio hoody i got feels a bit long, but i can tell a medium would probably be a little tight for me so it'll work fine. If i didn't really like the quality of SG i would've just returned them, their stuff is solid but the sizing is a bit weird. Im probably gonna order my chinook top in a medium if i get one tho

huntkansas

Lil-Rokslider
Same with the above posts.. im 6' tall 175lbs athletic build and i wear the same sizes in sitka as the OP. I also feel like im kinda in between sizes in the SG tops and bottoms. Medium pants for the m5 were perfect for me. I got medium tall in the new dehavilland pant(all that was i stock at the time) and a plain medium the lite version and they both were quite baggy and long on me, the lites were just as long as the other pair that was supposed to be a tall lol, i figure a small would probably be too small so i just got out the sewing machine and made them shorter, and tighter from the knee pad stiching down which is where most of the extra material is. I prefer the fit of the sitka apex pant and i usually tailor my pants to fit like them with less extra material to swish at the bottom. The large helio hoody i got feels a bit long, but i can tell a medium would probably be a little tight for me so it'll work fine. If i didn't really like the quality of SG i would've just returned them, their stuff is solid but the sizing is a bit weird. Im probably gonna order my chinook top in a medium if i get one tho
That’s impressive you tailored them. Medium was correct waist for me but they are baggy below the knees. Assumed that was just their intended fit. I’m curious on new helio top sizing. I know between the pre-2019 and post-2019 (think that was the year?), I’m different sizes in the Sitka heavyweight hoody. Was hoping the sizing improved with the second gen of SG top.

Ramblr

FNG
I'm 5'11", 200lbs, with a 34" waist and 43" chest.

The de havilland jacket in large did not fit will at all. The arm openings were way too high and tight. As bad as it fit, the M5/M7 and Grumman all fit great in a large.

The de havilland pants in medium were way too tight in the hips and leg openings. When I tried the large, I couldn't get the pants adjusted down enough to be secure around my waist.

Bottom line is that size and fit are different things and there is no standard for an "athletic build". All you can really do is get your size according to the size chart and see if the fit works for your build not.

That’s impressive you tailored them. Medium was correct waist for me but they are baggy below the knees. Assumed that was just their intended fit. I’m curious on new helio top sizing. I know between the pre-2019 and post-2019 (think that was the year?), I’m different sizes in the Sitka heavyweight hoody. Was hoping the sizing improved with the second gen of SG top.
I think they intended them to be a boot cut fit kinda like a bell bottom, which is not my style at all. I don't wear giant mountaineering boots just raw leather. I have nothing to compare it to but my helio hoody is the new version and its a tiny bit loose and long but it still fits fine

New member here, first post. I really never post on forums as I really don’t have much worth contributing. However, I have seen many posts regarding Stone Glacier sizing and found some good info regarding different body types that I used so I figured I would pay it forward. I own several items from SG and figured I would provide my dimensions and the sizes I have.

I am 5’-11” and 165 lbs. According to the SG size chart my measurements are as follows:

Chest = 42”

Sleeve = 33”

Belt Line = 35”

Inseam = 32”

I have a Dehaviland jacket and pants both in medium. The adjustable top at the pants is pretty much maxed out but fit very well everywhere else. I don’t like baggy clothes so I am glad I got a medium. I tried a size large and returned them as they were way too big and could not be adjusted small enough to fit.

The medium jacket fits well but is a little snug at my waistline. There is still plenty of room for layers underneath. Again, I don’t like baggy clothes. A puffy will fit underneath, but it is a little compressed. Puffy jackets need loft so not sure how this will affect performance (I don’t plan on putting the puffy underneath anyway).

I also have a Grumman down jacket in medium. This is a perfect fit for my body size. I can place it over all of my other layers and not feel constricted. I will fit under the medium Dehaviland but is compressed a little as mentioned above.

Overall, I am very satisfied with SG including the quality off their products, customer service, and fast shipping.

I highly recommend considering them when you are shopping around for gear.