Stone Glacier Sky 5900 and Sky Guide 7900 Live Review

ejs21

FNG
I have the Sky Talus 6900. I find it barely big enough to fit everything I need. The bag fills out and makes the side pockets unusable. Keep in mind this is my experience, with how I prefer to pack my bag. I have the 900cu access bag attached which does help.
I would like to try the Sky Guide 7900, I think the bigger main bag will suit my needs, and the lone side pocket seems like it is slightly larger than on the 6900. The lack of a side pocket on the right side will let the rifle ride a little nicer as well.

I haven’t had any trouble with overall capacity with my loads, but I use the load cell between pack and frame for meat. It is very true that the outer pockets get compressed into nothing with a full load inside the pack. I don’t notice it so much when packing since I typically pack the pockets first, but you do notice it when accessing stuff in the outer pockets with a full load. This is actually one of my very few complaints with SG packs. the avail is actually pretty annoying that way. the pockets can not be viewed as extra capacity, just organization within the whole.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Does the 7900 use the same horse show zipper front to access the main bag like the 5900 or is that it’s own pocket. Stone glaciers website makes it super confusing to figure this out

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does the 7900 use the same horse show zipper front to access the main bag like the 5900 or is that it’s own pocket. Stone glaciers website makes it super confusing to figure this out
Both bags have identical zip systems for the main compartment. There’s a horseshoe zip that opens to the main bag. The vertical zipper opens to its own pocket that’ll fit a smaller spotter and tripod which is what I use it for.

Kitten

FNG
Yep I’m “that guy” at the gym with a pack on. Love the compressibility of the 5900. Zero wiggle with the weighted bag.

52903564bb5c2d1c87e23f87fe6dd7d3.jpg
Thank you for this photo. It has been hard to get a sense of what the sky 5900 looks like compressed.

BrentH

WKR
Both bags have identical zip systems for the main compartment. There’s a horseshoe zip that opens to the main bag. The vertical zipper opens to its own pocket that’ll fit a smaller spotter and tripod which is what I use it for.
How big of a spotter can you fit in that back pocket that the 5900 and 7900 have? Is the side pocket on the 7900 bigger than the back pocket?

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
How big of a spotter can you fit in that back pocket that the 5900 and 7900 have? Is the side pocket on the 7900 bigger than the back pocket?

I carry my ATS-65 along with a Promaster CF tripod in the back pocket. It fits very securely which is why I always opt to carry it there. For my exact setup I prefer the back center zip to the side spotter pocket. I primarily use that one for high use items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrentH

WKR
I carry my ATS-65 along with a Promaster CF tripod in the back pocket. It fits very securely which is why I always opt to carry it there. For my exact setup I prefer the back center zip to the side spotter pocket. I primarily use that one for high use items.

Awesome, thanks!

I am waiting for delivery of a Talus 6900 to OZ. Look forward to getting out on a hunt. Hope it's big enough. I just want to get out in the bush to see how it works out.

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
I’m stuck between ordering one of these and a seek outside goshawk

Tikka90

FNG
I'm a big fan of the 5900. Compresses down small for day to day use, but expands when you need to put in extra gear.

@SLDMTN, if you could only have one SG pack, which would it be? I d have done the moose/bou scene in GMU 13. looking to change it up and go chase a moose and a sheep in GMU 11, and my 2 bou out of 13. Need a "do everything" pack...

I should also say I have little idea what I am doing with sheep. If i can get enough posts in, I might have some further questions that I'll send via pm.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
@SLDMTN, if you could only have one SG pack, which would it be? I d have done the moose/bou scene in GMU 13. looking to change it up and go chase a moose and a sheep in GMU 11, and my 2 bou out of 13. Need a "do everything" pack...

I should also say I have little idea what I am doing with sheep. If i can get enough posts in, I might have some further questions that I'll send via pm.

Real short reply because I’m in Dutch Harbor at the moment but I would get to Barney’s and try on every pack Kevin has. Shoot for 7,000 ci as your baseline for volume. If you can’t get to Barney’s and/or you’re dead set on a Stone Glacier I’d go with the 7900. It’ll do it all and has been my favorite pack/bag combo to date.

Real short reply because I’m in Dutch Harbor at the moment but I would get to Barney’s and try on every pack Kevin has. Shoot for 7,000 ci as your baseline for volume. If you can’t get to Barney’s and/or you’re dead set on a Stone Glacier I’d go with the 7900. It’ll do it all and has been my favorite pack/bag combo to date.

The ONLY reason I am targeting a SG bag is because everything I've read about them says "I had xxx brand pack and sold it when i got my SG". I haven't seen any that say "I used my SG for a couple hunts and sold it in favor of xxx brand pack". That speaks volumes to me. I can't afford to high point a lot of stuff, but I bought a t3x last year and want to get a better pack this year. I would buy one sight unseen from those comments alone.