Stone Glacier sky 5900 question

For those with a SG sky 5900 - I read a review that states the lid is really floppy/un-secure when the pack is really compressed down. I see how this might be possible due to the lid attachment points in bivy mode appear to be midway up the bag rather than the more conventional location of bottom of the front side of the bag. There may not be enough space to cinch the kid down tight.

Has anyone run into this? I‘m sure most don’t run the lid in bivy mode, but I like the organization and quick access of the lid. Plus I find I don’t inadvertently crush delicate items there like headlamp, my sandwich, etc...

any other thoughts on the 5900 welcome as well. Which frame is best?

Kotaman

WKR
I've used a SG 5900 since it's inception. I LOVE the pack. When mine is in bivy mode, the lid is either inside the bag or left at home. Really simple to unhook the lid and throw it in the bag on top and run the bag in bivy mode how it was intended. Put your "delicates" in the front pocket while in Bivy mode. But yes, otherwise, it will be "floppy" in bivy mode. That's all I got...

NoWiser

WKR
The 5900 is as close to the perfect bag as I've ever seen, for me. The lid would be floppy in bivy mode, but I never have the lid on in bivy mode.

OP
Hunter Mike
Thanks for the replies! I like running my lid most of the time for organization but looks like I’d have to modify that with a SG.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Sky lid on my Solo and don’t find it floppy. It’s cranked down nicely.

I could imagine if you load up the lid while maintaining a super light load in the main bag that it might get some flop going.

I have the Sky lid on my Solo and don’t find it floppy. It’s cranked down nicely.

I could imagine if you load up the lid while maintaining a super light load in the main bag that it might get some flop going.

Do you have any pictures of your solo with the lid attached?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sr80

WKR
i have the 5900 and use the lid in bivy mode and dont find it floppy at all. I have the top tightened as tight as it goes, and then attach the lid to the lower attachment points on the bag and tighten. Friend of mine as the 45/60 which does not have the lower attachment points and his is floppy. Same would go for the solo as it doesnt have the lower attachments.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been working great! One thing that I’ve noticed is how well the load carries. It’s tight to your back and no load shift to speak of. As far as the lid goes in don’t even know it’s there.

I’ve enjoyed my sky 5900 so far. No flop on the lid yet in bivy mode. They offer a 30 day guarantee on money back. Kotaman was a great help for me on deciding on a pack. Kifaru was the other pack I was wanting, but needed two bags for what I wanted to do.

Last edited:
I love my 5900. I did have some issues with the lid being a bit floppy in bivy mode just due to the fact I didn't have enough things in the pack to fill all the way to the top. I dont use the lid anymore in bivy mode just due to not needing it but when I go in for extended trips it works great.

lyle hebel

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello, All

Lyle from Stone Glacier here. I wanted to weight in as lid sag is something that can happen if you are not managing the top lid straps correctly. We made a YouTube video that shows you how to do that.

I am going to try and be more active on the forums but if you have questions please reach out.

Grumman

WKR
I love my 5900. I took the lid off and ran it in bivy mode for training hikes. Went through a move and after 18 months I still can’t find my lid. I know it’s around somewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
If you really want an outside ad on like a lid, why not just buy the access bag for 70 bucks that clips to the center of the bag and not use the lid? Personally I don’t use the lid even on an 8-10 day hunt. I use small dry bags inside for all my organization.

Just like the video that Lyle posted, that's how I run my lids on all my SG packs. That definitely keeps the sag from occurring. Another benefit, is if it's raining out and you aren't using a pack cover, the rain sheds off to the sides better.