Stone Glacier Sky 5900

Ram94

WKR
How long of a hunt can you get out of this bag without utilizing the load shelf to pack in?

I have gotten 8 days out of a MR Beartooth without using the load shelf.

I've seen a few people mention that the Sky 5900 isn't quite big enough for a 10 day hunt. Is the capacity of this bag being over exaggerated or does it work for some and not for others? I feel my gear list is halfway between "kitchen sink" and "minimalist.

Should have one in hand within a week or so, but in the meantime It's fun to talk about.

I pack too heavy and can't get 10 days in mine. If you're packing for 10 days, what's the harm in using the load shelf for food?

Personally I hate having to pack everything perfectly to make it fit in bag near it's limits. Id much rather be able to stuff things without having to play tetris every time something is going in/out of a pack. A 5900 would be absolutely stuffed if you wanted 10 days out of it IMO.

My talus 6900 was most full for 7 days of Dall sheep and that was with a guide who had the stove and a little of my food. It was far from overkill so I wouldn't want to go smaller for week + trips. You can certainly carry a bunch more if you use the meat shelf but that also makes the load more cumbersome.

OP
Ram94

Ram94

WKR
I pack too heavy and can't get 10 days in mine. If you're packing for 10 days, what's the harm in using the load shelf for food?
No harm besides having the load a little further from my back. A 10L dry bag on the shelf isn't crazy noticeable though if it's sucked down tight. If I find I need to use some external space though I might try sandwich a dry bag under the lid for the trek in.

I guess I just found it strange to see lots of comments saying it was too small, compared to say a MR Marshall which is only 8L larger and touted as a 10+ day bag.

Last edited:
OP
Ram94

Ram94

WKR
Personally I hate having to pack everything perfectly to make it fit in bag near it's limits. Id much rather be able to stuff things without having to play tetris every time something is going in/out of a pack. A 5900 would be absolutely stuffed if you wanted 10 days out of it IMO.

My talus 6900 was most full for 7 days of Dall sheep and that was with a guide who had the stove and a little of my food. It was far from overkill so I wouldn't want to go smaller for week + trips. You can certainly carry a bunch more if you use the meat shelf but that also makes the load more cumbersome.
That's a good point. I was drawn to the horseshoe zipper on the 5900 and the next bigger option for that is the 7900 which does seem like a gigantic bag. I might end up having to strap things to the outside, but we will see.

just attach the approach 1800 bag to the front of the 5900 (the same way you would the “access accessories), boom 2000+ more cu. along with a lid you should be good to go!
This is my setup, then you have a nice small day back to hunt with after you set up camp.

OP
Ram94

Ram94

WKR
I like that idea! Will have to keep my eyes open for a used approach. Thanks!

Lowg08

WKR
I like that idea! Will have to keep my eyes open for a used approach. Thanks!
I have an avail for that. Plus the approach and avail will attach to the frame individually for single day packs for lock on/ saddle hunting pack out.

I can't speak for the 5900 because I haven't tried to load mine up yet, but I can say that I had an Avail 2200 and it was definitely smaller than my Kuiu 1850.

Curious to hear how your 5900 compares to your Beartooth when it shows up!

OP
Ram94

Ram94

WKR
I can't speak for the 5900 because I haven't tried to load mine up yet, but I can say that I had an Avail 2200 and it was definitely smaller than my Kuiu 1850.

Curious to hear how your 5900 compares to your Beartooth when it shows up!
I still have the Beartooth so I can report back when I get them both side by side. I’ve heard some Kifaru bags are smaller in reality than they list on the website. Hopefully that’s not the case here as well.

I have the Sky 5900 as well, great pack and I have thought about attaching the 1800 bag on when I need it.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I think food would run you out of room like others have mentioned. I don’t even start to use the “sky” mode until I’m more than 3 days out, but that all depends on time of year too.

I think the SG cu in measurements are calculated pretty damn accurate, Kurt mentioned how he does it in one of their videos.

OP
Ram94

Ram94

WKR
Since the thread popped back up I may as well give an update now having used the bag.

I was able to pack 9 days into it for a sheep hunt. I’m also not a super minimalist either, with a Nallo 3gt taking up a fair bit of space. This was jam packed full but nothing on the exterior of the pack. Anything more than 9 days I would pick up an access bag and I think it’d get me to 12 days. Very impressed with the 5900 and x-curve!

just attach the approach 1800 bag to the front of the 5900 (the same way you would the “access accessories), boom 2000+ more cu. along with a lid you should be good to go!
This is my setup, then you have a nice small day back to hunt with after you set up camp.
Was looking into the 1800 vs the new 2800. You know if the 2800 can be attached?

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
You can get away with 10 days if you are considerate of what you pack, this is utilizing the load shelf for either your shelter or dry bag of food.

Kotaman

WKR
No way I can do 10 days out of a 5900 without the load shelf. I love the 5900…very versatile, but for 10 days I’m using either my Terminus 7000 or even my 7900 Guide.

Looney

FNG
It’s all to do with what you’re comfortable with. I was too cheap to buy another bag for my sheep hunt and ended up doing 11 days with my Exo 3500 using the load shelf for food. Not recommend, but it worked.

I’ve got the 5900 now because I wanted to try something new. This is my first season and so far it doesn’t seem much bigger than the exo was.