Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 Review, by Justin Crossley

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

If you followed Justin's thread on the Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 last fall, you saw this pack in action. The thread was very informative but Justin did one better and compressed all those posts into one tight review (and included two videos). If you just can't get enough of this pack, this review's for you!

Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 Review

attachment.php

Last edited:

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Took my suggestion huh? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah I toyed with the idea of the exo5500 but finally decided that if I didn't get the stone Glacier now it probably would never happen. I may still end up trying out the Exo again. I bought their first year model that had fitting issues on me so wanted to see how I like the new SG Frame. Im already sold on the Sky Talus bag. its got a lot of the features I look for.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I toyed with the idea of the exo5500 but finally decided that if I didn't get the stone Glacier now it probably would never happen. I may still end up trying out the Exo again. I bought their first year model that had fitting issues on me so wanted to see how I like the new SG Frame. Im already sold on the Sky Talus bag. its got a lot of the features I look for.
Ya that bag looks slick for sure

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Got a call this morning that my pack will arrive tomorrow. Talk about fast shipping ordered it last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got a call this morning that my pack will arrive tomorrow. Talk about fast shipping ordered it last week.

Good deal Let us know what you think after you get it.

How are you liking the bag and the new xcurve? I'm considering trying one. I love my Kifaru frame, but the reckoning bag strap management is a little much, and my old high camp 4800 is tough to pack a weeks worth of gear and a boned out animal in.

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
Great review! I have an SG Approach and have started looking for a larger bag for a 3 day trip (trying to decide between the new R3 or the Sky Archer).

One thing I wanted to mention though is Justin didn't like the gun bearer. In the pictures it looks like the tail end is behind him blowing in the breeze making it impossible to grab.

You can thread it down under the webbing on the front of the shoulder strap and it sits right at breast pocket level, and I found it stays there pretty much all day. I found it very easy to pull the rifle out in less than 5 seconds or so with minimal contorting to reach anything - it takes a little bit to get the rifle in there and it is impossible to do it yourself while wearing the pack, but removal is quick if you have the tail tucked in the shoulder strap. This video shows what I am talking about, you can go to the 5:20 mark to see what I am describing:

Stone Glacier Weapon Sling - YouTube

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Great review! I have an SG Approach and have started looking for a larger bag for a 3 day trip (trying to decide between the new R3 or the Sky Archer).

One thing I wanted to mention though is Justin didn't like the gun bearer. In the pictures it looks like the tail end is behind him blowing in the breeze making it impossible to grab.

You can thread it down under the webbing on the front of the shoulder strap and it sits right at breast pocket level, and I found it stays there pretty much all day. I found it very easy to pull the rifle out in less than 5 seconds or so with minimal contorting to reach anything - it takes a little bit to get the rifle in there and it is impossible to do it yourself while wearing the pack, but removal is quick if you have the tail tucked in the shoulder strap. This video shows what I am talking about, you can go to the 5:20 mark to see what I am describing:

Stone Glacier Weapon Sling - YouTube

Thanks for the heads up on that. That makes getting the rifle out much easier. I swear I watched that video but must have missed that part.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have spent well lets just say wasted money on a few different style packs and i finally put my foot down and did some research on a lightweight pack and i can tell you this much THANK YOU STONE GLACIER!!!! I have the sky archer 6200 and i love it! This pack has made back country hunting and hiking for me and my wife a dream. Its super comfy and even my wife carries my pack and she is 5,7 and 115 lbs and she said she enjoys hiking with it. SG makes amazing packs and super lightweight for a frame style pack if you are on the fence about one trust me they are worth it. All the bags are interchangeable on the xcurve frame. Definitely worth the investment in my eyes. If you guys are wanting to pick one up we do carry them in store and can ship as well. View attachment 53693

treillw

WKR
Thanks for the review. It was helpful. How would you rate the 6900 as a daypack when it is compressed down? I'm contemplating getting a daypack in the 2000-3000 ci range and a multiday pack in the 7000-8000 range.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the review. It was helpful. How would you rate the 6900 as a daypack when it is compressed down? I'm contemplating getting a daypack in the 2000-3000 ci range and a multiday pack in the 7000-8000 range.
Everyone will have their own likes and dislikes when it comes to bag design but the Sky Talus makes a great "convertible" day pack imo.

I have the Sky Archer 6200 CI, it compresses down to damn near nothing. I simply see no need to also own a daypack. And, it's way more comfortable than every daypack I have ever worn.

R_burg

WKR

This was what I planned as well, but nothing compresses like these SG packs. I have a 6900 and theres absolutely no reason to buy a separate day pack IMO.

I am on the fence between the sky 5900 or the sky talus 6900. The sky 5900 has the front zip pocket which I think might get in the way of attaching a bow if the pocket is fulled up.

Kotaman

WKR
I have both the 5900 and the 6900, and you are correct, for a bowhunter, the 6900 works a little better for attaching a bow.

I have both the 5900 and the 6900, and you are correct, for a bowhunter, the 6900 works a little better for attaching a bow.

Kotaman,
Thanks for the input. No better guy to respond that someone who owns both. Sounds like you would steer me to the 6900, I do rifle hunt, but primary archery. Another benefit is the extra 1000cu.in, Rather have more room than not enough. Always can put into bivy mode.