Stone Glacier Skyair ULT testing and review **Update 12/17**

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using a Stone Glacier Skyair shelter system this summer as a starting point of a review. I have in my possession for testing, the full set up which consists of the tarp body, vestibule, footprint, and the mesh insert. When this shelter was announced this winter I started wondering how it would stack up to other light weight shelters in my arsenal and how far into the inclement weather I could use it this fall. So far I've had it in some stiff winds, moderate down pours, wet brush, and thick mosquitoes. The next part of the test will be to use this in the backcountry of Montana and Wyoming chasing bugling bulls where fatigue and less-than-ideal conditions will expose any potential limitations of this system.
Please use this thread to ask questions, request additional information, and post up personal experience with the Skyair.

***Update 12/17/19*** Josh's review is complete here.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a decent amount of room inside. If you run it without the vestibule do you find the rain coming through the peak area if it’s driving?

Seems like a fancy colored super tarp, but a good looking light shelter none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a decent amount of room inside. If you run it without the vestibule do you find the rain coming through the peak area if it’s driving?

Seems like a fancy colored super tarp, but a good looking light shelter none the less.

It is definitely light and really packable. I think the Supertarp is a little taller in the foot area giving it a little more room. I’d like to try out a Supertarp to see how it compares.

I have not used it in driving rain without the vestibule but it’s my educated guess that you would want it on in those conditions.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Cool, been waiting on this one Josh. How much does it weigh with the set up that you have? And what is the mesh insert for? Bugs?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool, been waiting on this one Josh. How much does it weigh with the set up that you have? And what is the mesh insert for? Bugs?

Robby,
The main body, vestibule, ground sheet, and 10 stakes come in at 1.32 pounds. The mesh insert is a silnylon floor with a bug net upper. It weighs 0.70 pounds. It is a must have if you are headed to bug country.

As a side note on weight I've added an additional 4 MSR Groundhog stakes to the kit for more staking options (the shelter comes with 6). I have also left out the weight of the trekking poles as readers can factor in the weight of their personal pair of poles for a total shelter weight.

Katera33

FNG
Robby,
The main body, vestibule, ground sheet, and 10 stakes come in at 1.32 pounds. The mesh insert is a silnylon floor with a bug net upper. It weighs 0.70 pounds. It is a must have if you are headed to bug country.

As a side note on weight I've added an additional 4 MSR Groundhog stakes to the kit for more staking options (the shelter comes with 6). I have also left out the weight of the trekking poles as readers can factor in the weight of their personal pair of poles for a total shelter weight.

View attachment 117773
Nice setup! Thanks for sharing

junior

WKR
Im liking mine but have just had it set up in the yard a few times to figure it out before season. I do wish they had provided suggestions for how tall to run your trekking poles on each end. I know the idea is to have some flexibility to pitch higher or lower but a general reference would be nice. Also wish there was another loop on either side for second guy out points. Do they recommend seam sealing at all or is it not necessary?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Im liking mine but have just had it set up in the yard a few times to figure it out before season. I do wish they had provided suggestions for how tall to run your trekking poles on each end. I know the idea is to have some flexibility to pitch higher or lower but a general reference would be nice. Also wish there was another loop on either side for second guy out points. Do they recommend seam sealing at all or is it not necessary?

Google the Slingfin video on the “splitwing” shelter - they give pole length recommendations (I don’t remember what they are off the top of my head). Totally agree that their should be pole length written on something with the shelter - I’m going to sharpie them onto a tag or something. Really you just need to have the height measurement for pitching it with the neat.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish the mesh insert had a bathtub style floor, say 6-8" up... Any issues with rain and wind?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish the mesh insert had a bathtub style floor, say 6-8" up... Any issues with rain and wind?

A bathtub floor would add to the overall weight but would bring a little more peace of mind in a nasty storm. I’ve not had any issues with water getting in but a heavy wind tends to blow the mesh walls inward. If they were wet it wouldn’t be fun. But so far I’ve stayed dry in mine. Except the one time I rolled onto my bladder bite valve in the middle of the night....

Last edited:

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider

mort9687

FNG
Great review, just curious if you have tried it compared to the kifaru supertarp?