Stone Glacier Skyair ULT testing and review **Update 12/17**

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you think this would be an option for someone 6'6"?

It would be tight in there especially if you have bulk to go along with the length. I’d probably look for something else if I were that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I used this shelter a decent amount this fall, and have some photos I took with this thread in mind and thoughts I figured I’d add for anyone looking at these, in hopes the description helps in decision making. For reference, the only configuration I’ve used it in was with the vestibule and inner tent, at manf. recommended head end like height.

I’ve used a lot of various shelters from floorless tipis, shaped and flat tarps, hilleberg tunnel tent, 3 and 4 season tents, single man tents, 3 person domes, and through all that I’ve developed a few preferences depending on location and season. I personally think all of them are good for something, and tend towards things that a more versatile. I think this shelter fits well for someone preferring their own shelter, someone who values smaller space and footprints, for earlier season (ie moderate weather), for someone that will want to pair it with a stronger later season shelter (meaning you don’t want 1 “do all” shelter), and for someone who isn’t wanting to just roll with a tarp and tyvek or deal with “setup fuss” after a long day, but also wants to be lighter and smaller packed form than a poled tent.

My notes after use this season:

- the foot end trek pole outside of the tent gave a nice clean foot box. Using the older version of the Kuiu ultra 1p tent, I appreciated the benefits of the exterior trek pole setup. Helps tension the ridgeline quite well.

- at 7300 ft of elevation and all night rain, and heavy winds, I thought it did great. I pinned the fly tight to the ground that night, and did experience a bit of condensation, but it was the least I’ve dealt with using a single person fully enclosed shelter. I took photos of the tarp overhang to show the inner offset - I too worried about the lack of bathtub floor. I worry a bit less about it now.

- the setup: it isn’t bad for a tarp shelter. Much less fussy, although takes a bit of knowledge compared with a tent. I like that you can just keep the inner linked to the outer tarp, which made pitching in the rain pretty easy going. With the guy lines, I thought it was pretty bomber for what it is, but they need way more stakes than is included. The side guy outs to increase inner volume are nice.

- the width and length are quite nice for a solo shelter. Adding the vestibule, I felt like I had a palace, and could keep a lot of gear dry out of the elements. I wouldn’t run 2 in it with the inner, ever. I’m 5’8” so sitting up, packing gear, getting dressed, etc were not a big deal. On an air pad, you have room at the foot end, but it certainly is a trim ultralight focused build. Easy to find a spot to pitch it. One of the key takeaways for me is the inner size is really “just right.”

- The “wings” that help with variable pitch height are nice because you can also unclip one side, or wing, when you get in, and not clothesline yourself on the guy line. It isn’t like a side entrance poled tent, but I found the function of it good for a head entrance shelter.

- materials and build attention to detail are quite good, like their 2p skyscraper tent. The tiny packed size really is nice for earlier in archery season. I wouldn’t want to use it when the snow is flying.

Overall setup.
4d22d202cd9ec9129502a810baad615c.jpg

Showing footprint with a Western Mountaineering terralite bag.
03424f70e6312b99a129ef747769d9de.jpg

Showing inner offset from outer.
3183368c95a27207ef18af2cc7df1eb7.jpg

Depth of vestibule, with stuff piled inside.
b897da702683dc37890416c762970dea.jpg

From the foot end
a73afdda3223aa7cb3019d8ed5f8bbc0.jpg

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great addition to the thread @MT_Wyatt

Thanks for posting your thoughts and photos.

So i'm highly considering this tent, but have some concerns. i'm 5'-9" with broad shoulders and would be using a chilkoot 15 sleeping bag with large size sleeping pad (25" x 78"). My use would be July - October in the Sierra highcountry.

- does it feel really cramped inside? I have used 1 man shelters before, but I do not want to feel like i'm in a coffin.
- Is it easy to sit up and change clothes?
- Is it worth saving 1.0lb from my poled 2 man shelter with lots of room for one? This is the biggest question because it really the only reason I would use this to shave the 1 pound of weight. my 30sq.ft 2 man tent weights 2lb-6oz. and its a side entry. (Tarptent Double rainbow)
- is the front entry annoying?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
So i'm highly considering this tent, but have some concerns. i'm 5'-9" with broad shoulders and would be using a chilkoot 15 sleeping bag with large size sleeping pad (25" x 78"). My use would be July - October in the Sierra highcountry.

- does it feel really cramped inside? I have used 1 man shelters before, but I do not want to feel like i'm in a coffin.
- Is it easy to sit up and change clothes?
- Is it worth saving 1.0lb from my poled 2 man shelter with lots of room for one? This is the biggest question because it really the only reason I would use this to shave the 1 pound of weight. my 30sq.ft 2 man tent weights 2lb-6oz. and its a side entry. (Tarptent Double rainbow)
- is the front entry annoying?

“Kind of” answers all of your questions, at least for me. It’s worth saving the lb and packed space for some trips for me, but the sacrifices are real. Front entry is tolerable since you can unclip one of the wings, but it’s still from the front.....you can totally dress in it since it is nice and wide at the front, but it’s not nearly as easy as in a poled tent. One thing to keep in mind is at the midpoint it reduces in height off the ground a lot.

I would say for this class of shelter, it’s a real improvement in space and useability, and while my comments may sound negative, I’ve found it to be a nice shelter for what it is. I think it’s better than your typical 1-man coffin. Better than a double rainbow? Weight wise he’s, comfort wise I’m guessing not.

TXCO

WKR
Has anyone used it as sun shade/glassing shelter? I realize its not the intent but was thinking about trying a high and wide pitch.

“Kind of” answers all of your questions, at least for me. It’s worth saving the lb and packed space for some trips for me, but the sacrifices are real. Front entry is tolerable since you can unclip one of the wings, but it’s still from the front.....you can totally dress in it since it is nice and wide at the front, but it’s not nearly as easy as in a poled tent. One thing to keep in mind is at the midpoint it reduces in height off the ground a lot.

I would say for this class of shelter, it’s a real improvement in space and useability, and while my comments may sound negative, I’ve found it to be a nice shelter for what it is. I think it’s better than your typical 1-man coffin. Better than a double rainbow? Weight wise he’s, comfort wise I’m guessing not.

Thanks again for the helpful information. I think i'm going for it. dropping a pound and being able to pitch it in tight spots in the highcountry is enough for me to try it. If I end up not liking it I can just get rid of rid. Only one way to know and that is to try it.

CMF

WKR
I went ahead and ordered the tarp, vestibule and ground sheet to try out, but has anyone slept two people in the skyair with or without the mesh?
I'm planning on having the wife with me and want to reduce weight from our current 3lb. set up. She's not crazy about floorless and no mesh, but I may be able to convince her with the weight savings.
I'm thinking we can get away without the mesh in Colorado the second week of September hunting 9-12k?

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the SlingFin SplitWing UL tarp a few seasons ago on a backpacking trip (which is what the SG version is -- just re-branded and recolored) and it is pretty good for the weight, etc., but then when I used a buddy's Seek Outside Eolus, there was no comparison.
Sure, you have a weight "penalty" (the SO weighs 18oz.) but from a space standpoint, it is huge for one person -- 60 sq ft vs. 27-32 sq ft. I will gladly carry an extra 10-12 oz for that kind of space, especially if the weather turns sideways; more room to stash gear, as well as sit up (50 inches tall across the entire shelter) and keep everything dry. But, it is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. Lots of options out there in the whole "floorless shelter" arena.

Javelina

FNG
Wondering if you guys could help me on this. This is my third backpack trip and I am looking at this set up. I have only used a tent with bathtub floor before.

Is there any difference in staying dry in the rain going with the mesh insert vs just the floor without the mesh ? Since it isn’t a bathtub floor it seems both these options would almost be the same? Only advantage to the mesh is for bug protection ? Thanks !

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
Don't have this tent but I think the mesh insert's main purpose is bug protection. However, it will also do a decent job of reducing condensation. So, if there is moisture buildup on the inside of your tarp, it's not dripping on you and your bag.

Last edited:

vtbow

FNG
Hey question for you guys with this tent....Any chance of adding a small stove to the vesitbule like the paratarp? Or way too cramped? it kind of seems to be inbetween the para and super tarp...

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Hey question for you guys with this tent....Any chance of adding a small stove to the vesitbule like the paratarp? Or way too cramped? it kind of seems to be inbetween the para and super tarp...
I don't see that as being a thing that's possible with this shelter. There's room, but you'll inevitably knock that stove over or something getting in and out. Or burn the vestibule fabric.

vtbow

FNG
I don't see that as being a thing that's possible with this shelter. There's room, but you'll inevitably knock that stove over or something getting in and out. Or burn the vestibule fabric.
So in comparison to a paratarp, the vestibule angle isn't as sharp? Or just the pitch is too loose with the split up the center of the tarp itself?

Thanks, appreciate the insight!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
So in comparison to a paratarp, the vestibule angle isn't as sharp? Or just the pitch is too loose with the split up the center of the tarp itself?

Thanks, appreciate the insight!
I have never owned a paratarp so am unsure on the angle or differences in pitch between those. I just know having had that shelter for years that the vestibule isn't super duper roomy, and stoves w/legs sitting up would really crowd it. It's not the easiest to get into.

vtbow

FNG
I have never owned a paratarp so am unsure on the angle or differences in pitch between those. I just know having had that shelter for years that the vestibule isn't super duper roomy, and stoves w/legs sitting up would really crowd it. It's not the easiest to get into.
Awesome. Thanks for the additional info!

Sounds like a versatile setup 80+% of the time...I'm looking forward to playing around with it when mine shows up...

Last edited: