Stone Glacier SQ2 Alpine Gaiter Review

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
21d6edf296b07fbe0b6e2cc51c077c9b.jpg

Original dyneema strap. Second year hammering on these. Still my favorite gaiters.

schmalzy

WKR
Since these aren’t using a breathable membrane such as Goretex or Toray, what’s the breathability like?

I know this is a late reply but just saw this. Just used for a week in the field in temps from 30-78 and didn’t notice any issues with breathability. Was wearing lightweight pants (Kuiu kutana) but never felt like my shins/calves were suffocating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read this thread like 2 weeks ago. I’ve been wanting to try the SG Gaiters for some time, but this thread has me hesitant because of the snowballing.

I was just laying in bed and had to get up to post this idea because it is just so crazy it might work. What about flex seal? The wax idea seems promising, but if you rubberize the bootstraps…

Dsnow9

FNG
I love mine and have no complaints. Best fitting gaiters I have ever owned. I have had a little bit of snow and ice build up at times but I have never had a pair of gators that didn’t do it in the right conditions. It’s never been enough to bother me on the sg gators. I have about 40-50 days on them now and they still look as good as the day I got them.

sr80

WKR
i got a pair of the SG gaiters a month ago and the strap under the boot is coated now. My guess is to fix the snow balling. They also have a 3 bar slider on the adjuster strap, i think guys were having issues with it loosening off. Great gaiters, really comfortable.

2f0Hckp.jpg

MsZA2pp.jpg

i got a pair of the SG gaiters a month ago and the strap under the boot is coated now. My guess is to fix the snow balling. They also have a 3 bar slider on the adjuster strap, i think guys were having issues with it loosening off. Great gaiters, really comfortable.

2f0Hckp.jpg

MsZA2pp.jpg
Fantastic! I’m going to order myself a pair next week.

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
Been eyeing these up. One thing on the boot strap, you can buy Amsteel from a number of places online, it is fairly easy to work with, and you could make up your own replacement straps, have a few with you in your pack for back up if something wear’s thru. Some really good videos on YouTube for making continuous loops.

Just got mine! After the initial fitting, I’m pretty excited by these. My only other pair of gaiters is a pair of vortex gaiters I bought almost 10 years ago. I’m taking these on a 3 day winter backpacking trip in a couple weekends and I have high hopes.

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
has anyone compared these against the Hillsound Super Armadillo Nano gaiters? I like the idea of the zipper vs velcro. I am looking for my 1st pair, they would be used for archery whitetail hunting in Wis. how noisy are they, ect..... thanks for any input I normally use rubber knee high type boots, but I am switching to an insulated hiking boot for some of my areas. I do spend some time crossing water, where hip boots and or knee high work better, but I was thinking a set of gaiters might make it work for some other spots.

406unltd

WKR
I initially had issues with the straps and nylon both. I simply asked Stone Glacier the other day if I could buy the new updates. This is what I got a few short days later in the mail at no charge. A+ service from this company. Thank you guys.
47A8882F-DDD5-4EA5-A3BB-30318ECA6DE8.jpeg

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Walked into the store today and asked about buying a set of the new boot straps to replace my old ones. The snow building up on the bottom was terrible, but I really liked the fit.
They actually gave me a new set with the rubber coating. Now I’m looking forward to this winter with them.

Untamed

Lil-Rokslider
I have experienced all the same problems mentioned in this thread.

Straps top and bottom are always hanging loose as soon as you contact the brush. Drives me crazy! Once you have them on its a real pain to try to weave the straps back through.

Snowball effect is happening every other step. Trying to kick rocks and whatever else a guy can find to shed the ball while walking. Pain in the ass.

Front hooks never stay hooked. I don't even bother trying to hook them anymore.

Also my buckles seem to loosen and you don't notice until snow is packed up inside the gaiter.

Material seems thick and durable and sheds water. Although the first trip out on a spring bear hunt I managed to have a few holes in them. I emailed and SG repaired them after I paid to mail them.

All I can say is I have a set of Black Diamond gaiters 20 years old and I still wear them to work all winter. Used to hunt in them before I purchased the SG2. Put them on and forget about them. I did break one of the straps riding my sled and twisting on the running board. Fixed with paracord.

Going to try out some Peax. Maybe they figured it out.

Straps top and bottom are always hanging loose as soon as you contact the brush. Drives me crazy! Once you have them on its a real pain to try to weave the straps back through.

Snowball effect is happening every other step. Trying to kick rocks and whatever else a guy can find to shed the ball while walking. Pain in the ass.

Also my buckles seem to loosen and you don't notice until snow is packed up inside the gaiter.

Material seems thick and durable and sheds water. Although the first trip out on a spring bear hunt I managed to have a few holes in them. I emailed and SG repaired them after I paid to mail them.

All I can say is I have a set of Black Diamond gaiters 20 years old and I still wear them to work all winter. Used to hunt in them before I purchased the SG2. Put them on and forget about them. I did break one of the straps riding my sled and twisting on the running board. Fixed with paracord.

I went from stone glacier to peax and the boot strap broke after 2 weeks of sheep hunting. Otherwise they did great. Good fit and waterproofing. The sharp shale that I hunt in seems to destroy about every gaiter I've tried. I'm pretty interested in the t&k gaiter with the stainless cable bootstrap and its other features.

sr80

WKR

peax may have it figured out...because they copied the tried and true OR crocs and added their yellow boot strap. I haven't had any issues with my SG gaiters, but i do agree the way the boot strap attaches via the 3 bar slider is kind of a pain to setup and adjust.

Untamed

Lil-Rokslider
I have the original 2021 gaiters. Paid $142.44 to my door. Guess I need to call them and get the upgrade kit so I can modify them to a working standard.