Stone Glacier SQ2 Alpine Gaiter Review

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I havent seen it mentioned anywhere so I thought Id chime in. If you have big calves no dice unforunately. I ordered a pair and couldnt even get them velcrod around the largest part of my calf in shorts. For reference I have 19" calves measured sitting in a chair relaxed. This sucks because these gaiters seem phenominal. Stone Glacier please make a larger size for the Cankle crew!
Yeah, SG says they’ll fit a calf up to 18”. I’m 17” and I can’t quite get the top close all the way over the velcro when wearing a pair of Sitka Timberline pants. Then I look at all the extra velcro they added for small calves and I think to myself who the heck has calves that small?!
Thanks for bringing this up. I don't have huge calves but I could see that being an issue for guys that do.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
did you have any issues with the bottom strap loosening up? my hunting partners SG gaiters continuously would loosen up, ended up having to tie a knot in the strap.
Everyday when I put them on I'd fiddle with them a bit but I don't recall having to tighten the strap more than once or twice on any trip. The strap keepers didn't do much good for me so I'll probably trim the straps down about 6". Two minutes traipsing through brush and they'd be hanging free.

Bighorse

WKR
Quality improvements verified here.....I used a new set in SE AK and Kodiak this year. They do the job and are pretty much an afterthought until the end of the day when you peel your boots off and appreciate that your socks stayed dry while stompin through the muskegs, swamps, creeks, and tundra that are pure sponge with 100% saturation.

jmez

WKR
Anyone else use these in a light, wet snow? Had 2-3 inches of really wet snow. The snow sticks to the Dyneema and within about 4 steps you have an ice ball under each foot you cant even walk on. Sometimes you could kick it off on the ground and other times you had to find a rock or stick to kick it off on. This was literally all day until the snow melted.

Really like the gaiter other than this. Maybe the snow was jut right for it to happen but it has never happened to me with a Nylon strap gaiter.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So, his boots leaked and yours didnt...gaiters don't stop wet feet if your boots leak.

You didn't mention, is SG is paying you or donating their gaiters for your review?

Sponsors are not allowed to pay Writers on Rokslide for reviews. We pay writers out of our editorial budget for their time writing the review, and costs incurred, but they are freelance and can say whatever they want. Including the writers on our staff.

As shown, Kyle paid for these gators with his own money. In some cases, sponsors do comp the writer’s gear, but it’s with the understanding that the writer is free to write about whatever his experiences are.

It’s been this way from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
Sponsors are not allowed to pay Writers on Rokslide for reviews. We pay writers out of our editorial budget for their time writing the review, and costs incurred, but they are freelance and can say whatever they want. Including the writers on our staff.

As shown, Kyle paid for these gators with his own money. In some cases, sponsors do comp the writer’s gear, but it’s with the understanding that the writer is free to write about whatever his experiences are.

It’s been this way from the beginning.

What's your point? This question was already asked...and answered by the OP.

Seemed like a pretty reasonable question to ask, it was not stated in the article. You know how most websites or product reviews post a disclosure statement somewhere.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
What's your point? This question was already asked...and answered by the OP.

Seemed like a pretty reasonable question to ask, it was not stated in the article. You know how most websites or product reviews post a disclosure statement somewhere.

My point? I thought you might want to hear from the person who is responsible for writing out the checks. And you’re right, sometimes we do mention that in the reviews, and sometimes we don’t. It’s usually just an oversight on our part if it’s not listed.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone else use these in a light, wet snow? Had 2-3 inches of really wet snow. The snow sticks to the Dyneema and within about 4 steps you have an ice ball under each foot you cant even walk on. Sometimes you could kick it off on the ground and other times you had to find a rock or stick to kick it off on. This was literally all day until the snow melted.

Really like the gaiter other than this. Maybe the snow was jut right for it to happen but it has never happened to me with a Nylon strap gaiter.
Man I hope that's not the case with all snow types because I plan to be using these a lot this winter. Maybe a little string wax would do the trick?

i abraded through the dyneema cord in less than 20 field days. it is field replaceable, but they do not offer the bootstraps for sale. it is a badass gaiter, and the performance is hands down the best on the market. that being said, i have used the OR crocs for three seasons and have never had a failure. high performance is great, but durability is king.

jmez

WKR
Good idea with wax. I think I'll leave it for now and see if it continues. If so I'll coat the cords in Obenauf's.

Hoping is was just the perfect snow for that as I really like the gaiters. If it continues it is a deal breaker.

I used these gaiters on one week long hunt and both dynema straps broke. The first day the stitching broke where the ends of the dynema are sewn together and I had to tie it up. A few days later the other strap frayed through all the way. I love the way they fit and feel but there's no way I can trust the boot strap for sheep and goat hunting unless I bring extra strap which I shouldn't have to do because the typical gaiter straps last me 2+ years. I find the dynema boot strap to also collect a ball of snow under your boot, very annoying. I've always trusted stone Glacier but I don't know why they thought this thin cord would be a good idea for gaiters. I like the rest of the Gaiter enough that I am planning on making my own strap for next season, could be because I'm stubborn and they're expensive.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always interesting to see when products work great for one hunter but not another. The dyneema seems to be an issue between breaking and snow. However I haven’t had either become a problem as of yet.

9f83ed80431a1e332f8dda2ed07ee1df.jpg

One of our hunters this year had a set with a thin stainless wire under the boot, I thought that looked pretty slick.

I got the ball of snow under 1 boot. Snow was wet and only under 1 foot. Had to take the gaiters off and take a pee on the snowball to break it up because was like ice. I ended up tightening the dyneema and wasn’t a problem again but think it started because they would loosen up sometimes.
I did cross a creek shortly after. Maybe 20’ wide and 6 to 10” deep. Not a drop in my boots so was impressed with the gaiters in performance.

Attachments

• 5FE7D4B2-6A3F-4BF0-B997-84E766BBF40E.jpeg
    5FE7D4B2-6A3F-4BF0-B997-84E766BBF40E.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 128

BRGT2

FNG
I havent seen it mentioned anywhere so I thought Id chime in. If you have big calves no dice unforunately. I ordered a pair and couldnt even get them velcrod around the largest part of my calf in shorts. For reference I have 19" calves measured sitting in a chair relaxed. This sucks because these gaiters seem phenominal. Stone Glacier please make a larger size for the Cankle crew!
Good to know, thanks.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I used these gaiters on one week long hunt and both dynema straps broke. The first day the stitching broke where the ends of the dynema are sewn together and I had to tie it up. A few days later the other strap frayed through all the way. I love the way they fit and feel but there's no way I can trust the boot strap for sheep and goat hunting unless I bring extra strap which I shouldn't have to do because the typical gaiter straps last me 2+ years. I find the dynema boot strap to also collect a ball of snow under your boot, very annoying. I've always trusted stone Glacier but I don't know why they thought this thin cord would be a good idea for gaiters. I like the rest of the Gaiter enough that I am planning on making my own strap for next season, could be because I'm stubborn and they're expensive.

That ain’t good! Please let SG know if the failure point

That ain’t good! Please let SG know if the failure point

I have talked to them. They said the stitching issue was a quality control problem and they are looking into other options to strengthen the dynema cord. I imagine most people likely won’t have any problems with these gaiters, just putting out what I experienced. Wasn't to pleased when they talked about testing the gaiter for three years in the promo video then they broke in only a week for me. Just got to work out the kinks for a first year product sometimes.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have talked to them. They said the stitching issue was a quality control problem and they are looking into other options to strengthen the dynema cord. I imagine most people likely won’t have any problems with these gaiters, just putting out what I experienced. Wasn't to pleased when they talked about testing the gaiter for three years in the promo video then they broke in only a week for me. Just got to work out the kinks for a first year product sometimes.

So are they replacing them for you?

I've wore them for 3 days so far hunting. If I get in steep rocky terrain the boot straps tend to loosen up some. When on flatter ground I didn't have any issues with them coming loose. Haven't tried them out in deep snow yet. I do like them so far