Stone Glacier SQ2 Alpine Gaiter Review

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
9VIxtu1.jpg

I'm in the process of reviewing the new gaiters from Stone Glacier and I have enough time with them I can start to form an opinion and comment on them.

Product Link: https://www.stoneglacier.com/products/sq2-alpine-gaiter

Initial Impressions:
-they hug your boot very tight with little room for debris or water to get in from below
-the adjustability of the dyneema cord vs the standard strap/buckle design is an improvement
-the calf buckle is sweet, I've yet to have it come undone allowing the gaiters to slip down my leg
-breathability seems better than others I've used, my feet don't overheat as often
-initial concerns about the contour calf hook & loop were unfounded, it's been sweet having the ability to fit no matter layering
-the idea of keeping the excess strap tucked in is nice but doesn't work through brush, frankly not worth the time fiddling with trying to stuff it away

L3oQnde.jpg

If you have any questions, post em up!

cfPpfnb.jpg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
They look awesome! Did SG happen to mention what kind of testing they did for the dyneema strap? I’m wondering about abrasion especially if spending a lot time on rocks.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
They look awesome! Did SG happen to mention what kind of testing they did for the dyneema strap? I’m wondering about abrasion especially if spending a lot time on rocks.

I have one sheep hunting on them in plenty of rocks and shale, the dyneema still looks new.

The other brand has one season on them. The strap has always been a weak point for my gaiters.

fdbbad9ec9f9010861cb089c4820054e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
They’ve got a whole video series showing the testing (all on website link above). It’s been a few weeks since I saw that video but I’m fairly sure that’s addressed in it.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
They’ve got a whole video series showing the testing (all on website link above). It’s been a few weeks since I saw that video but I’m fairly sure that’s addressed in it.

Yep Kurt does a great job of talking through the design and reasoning behind it.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
a62ab37dd4bbe569c38403eff77a83dc.jpg

Another one for the books Myself and another guide were running the SQ2 gaiters with very similar results. Just as waterproof, more breathable, they don’t ride down and the replacement stirrup is awesome to be able to repair in the field. He had one stirrup fail but it had lasted longer than other models before it finally did.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I bought these as soon as I could but finally used them this month.
They are a big improvement over my OR gaiters. I liked the tight fit around my Kenetreks keeping debris out. I also have skinny legs so adjustable closure was great getting them snug to my leg.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Used them again on another hunt I guided. They outperformed K——— gaiters step for step through creeks.

Used them again on another hunt I guided. They outperformed K——— gaiters step for step through creeks.
Care to expand on this? I’ve ran the kuiu ones for years and love them. Extremely comfy and seen to hold up and keep most the water out. For sure with wet brush. When they wear out I’m open to better options though. I like the flexibility of the kuiu and I don’t even feel like they’re on.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Care to expand on this? I’ve ran the kuiu ones for years and love them. Extremely comfy and seen to hold up and keep most the water out. For sure with wet brush. When they wear out I’m open to better options though. I like the flexibility of the kuiu and I don’t even feel like they’re on.

My hunter had a brand new pair of them, going step for step behind me through the same creek crossings he wound up with wet feet and I didn’t.

I’m not even knocking the Kuiu gaiters because they seem solid. My SQ2’s just kept me more dry than his gaiters did.

Bearsears

WKR
I havent seen it mentioned anywhere so I thought Id chime in. If you have big calves no dice unforunately. I ordered a pair and couldnt even get them velcrod around the largest part of my calf in shorts. For reference I have 19" calves measured sitting in a chair relaxed. This sucks because these gaiters seem phenominal. Stone Glacier please make a larger size for the Cankle crew!

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
I havent seen it mentioned anywhere so I thought Id chime in. If you have big calves no dice unforunately. I ordered a pair and couldnt even get them velcrod around the largest part of my calf in shorts. For reference I have 19" calves measured sitting in a chair relaxed. This sucks because these gaiters seem phenominal. Stone Glacier please make a larger size for the Cankle crew!
Yeah, SG says they’ll fit a calf up to 18”. I’m 17” and I can’t quite get the top close all the way over the velcro when wearing a pair of Sitka Timberline pants. Then I look at all the extra velcro they added for small calves and I think to myself who the heck has calves that small?!

akbrett

FNG
did you have any issues with the bottom strap loosening up? my hunting partners SG gaiters continuously would loosen up, ended up having to tie a knot in the strap.

Vandy321

WKR
My hunter had a brand new pair of them, going step for step behind me through the same creek crossings he wound up with wet feet and I didn’t.

I’m not even knocking the Kuiu gaiters because they seem solid. My SQ2’s just kept me more dry than his gaiters did.

So, his boots leaked and yours didnt...gaiters don't stop wet feet if your boots leak.

You didn't mention, is SG is paying you or donating their gaiters for your review?

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, his boots leaked and yours didnt...gaiters don't stop wet feet if your boots leak.

You didn't mention, is SG is paying you or donating their gaiters for your review?

Wow. Canned reviews go against everything Rokslide stands for. Though I said it above I’ll say it again, his gaiters seemed solid but they didn’t hold water out as well. That’s only one benefit of gaiters, not their sole purpose.

Since you asked, yeah I’ll make a little money from Rokslide for the review but I make that whether I like the gaiters or not. I bought the gaiters myself from Barney’s in Anchorage. I liked them so well I submitted a query to Robby about writing an article. Feel free to do the same with the gaiters you like.

To clarify further, my hunter had a brand new set of Kuiu Scarpas to accompany his brand new Kuiu gaiters. It started at his ankles…because the gaiters let water through…and soaked down into the footbed.

c0ac2824eb02cd7b6110f6691cec65c6.jpg

9759c1d83fb64aa07c9990c4a3f711db.jpg

Last edited: