Stone Glacier SQ2 Alpine Gaiter Review

So are they replacing them for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I emailed them the same evening I got out from the hunt they broke on with an explanation and asked for a few replacement straps. I added my card info just in case they decided to charge me. I went back out for another hunt the next morning with my beat up old gaiters. Got replacement straps by the time I got home within a week, they charged me $30ish bucks for 2 pairs.

I emailed them the same evening I got out from the hunt they broke on with an explanation and asked for a few replacement straps. I added my card info just in case they decided to charge me. I went back out for another hunt the next morning with my beat up old gaiters. Got replacement straps by the time I got home within a week, they charged me $30ish bucks for 2 pairs.
I also talked to to them in Bozeman and they said they‘d take them back if I wasn’t happy with them. I do like them enough to keep them to be clear. Way better than my kuiu katana gaiters.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Meh, still surprised they charged you but thanks for letting us know. Keep us posted as you get more miles on them. This place isn’t just for our writers to review gear and we really do like feedback from the members, even if it’s contrary.

9VIxtu1.jpg

I'm in the process of reviewing the new gaiters from Stone Glacier and I have enough time with them I can start to form an opinion and comment on them.

Product Link: https://www.stoneglacier.com/products/sq2-alpine-gaiter

Initial Impressions:
-they hug your boot very tight with little room for debris or water to get in from below
-the adjustability of the dyneema cord vs the standard strap/buckle design is an improvement
-the calf buckle is sweet, I've yet to have it come undone allowing the gaiters to slip down my leg
-breathability seems better than others I've used, my feet don't overheat as often
-initial concerns about the contour calf hook & loop were unfounded, it's been sweet having the ability to fit no matter layering
-the idea of keeping the excess strap tucked in is nice but doesn't work through brush, frankly not worth the time fiddling with trying to stuff it away

L3oQnde.jpg

If you have any questions, post em up!

cfPpfnb.jpg
Nice review

406unltd

WKR
8B6FE743-6AAE-480B-AE7D-F068A3D61BA1.jpegThese gaiters have been not so great for me. All in all I regret getting rid of the ones I had because they never gave me issues. These ones give me major issues in wet snow that needed to be cleared after 4-5 steps, and ended up strapped to my pack instead of on my feet as it was safer that way. I took a video of it and these stills. Sent them to SG and heard zero back about it.

Attachments

• 630395F9-9B97-4874-9CA1-ADDBECB3E9F6.jpeg
    630395F9-9B97-4874-9CA1-ADDBECB3E9F6.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 54

Jimbob

WKR
Thanks for the reviews. I was really thinking of getting a pair of these but not now. Up here in Canada thee things would cost a premium and I was willing to pay if they lived up to the hype. Might as well go with OR for less than half the price.

Maybe in a few years, SG will work out all the kinks and these gaiters will be worth the price.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s disappointing that people are having issues with the boot strap. Still haven’t had any issues with mine, knock on wood. Wore them in fresh snow several times in the last few days. Maybe ours wasn’t wet enough to stick? Daughter is still rocking OR gaiters cause the SG’s are too big.

eb9d96ac71118d2e16d864a5bd836468.jpg

Jethro

WKR
These gaiters have been not so great for me. All in all I regret getting rid of the ones I had because they never gave me issues. These ones give me major issues in wet snow that needed to be cleared after 4-5 steps, and ended up strapped to my pack instead of on my feet as it was safer that way. I took a video of it and these stills. Sent them to SG and heard zero back about it.
Same for me. I've had the snowball under foot and have been unable to keep the straps tucked in and then they loosen. Its not a major problem, but simply I have fiddled and adjusted the SG more in the 4 months I've had them than I did in 6 years with the Kuiu. I prefer to put my gaiters on in morning and then not think about them till I take them off at end of the day.

NEWAoutdoors

Lil-Rokslider
This thread is interesting for sure. I absolutely love my sg gaiters and haven't experienced any of the problems that have been described.

406unltd

WKR
Same for me. I've had the snowball under foot and have been unable to keep the straps tucked in and then they loosen. Its not a major problem, but simply I have fiddled and adjusted the SG more in the 4 months I've had them than I did in 6 years with the Kuiu. I prefer to put my gaiters on in morning and then not think about them till I take them off at end of the day.
Man I completely forgot about the straps being an issue with mine as well. I’ve weaved them in different configurations to no avail. The two things combined make the function of a simple piece of gear pretty poor.

92xj

WKR
Good reviews and unfortunately I will also keep looking. Has anyone heard of OR is going to produce anymore of their Made in USA gaiters?

ElkAB1212

FNG
My experience has been mostly positive no issues with functionality - I had decided to purchase these when they came out as my badlands set were pretty dated. I noticed after a hunt that my Velcro on the inside was coming apart and upon further inspection there was a portion of stitching that was missed.

I sent them in and SG fixed them up and send them back as warranty.

I don’t find myself fiddling with the side straps as much as I’m reading here but I will say that I know what the guys are on about there.

Overall good piece of gear but it’s not blowing the competition out of the water.

jmez

WKR
After more time with mine this winter things have not improved. The snow balling on the straps makes them non functional, period. It only happens with the right kind of snow but I still need gaiters in wet snow. The other issue I have had is the toe hook will not stay hooked on my laces for more than about 15 steps. I have big feet, size 13, and that may be the issue.

I have hooked it on different laces, at different angles, tight loose, doesn't matter. 15 steps it's off. These don't come down and cover my boot as far as the Kuiu does and I think that is the issue. Also think that is why size is the issue. The straps for everywhere and loosen as well. The need to go back to R&D with this product. These are a fail.

I've owned OR, and Kuiu in the past. These aren't even a distant third.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Bighorse

WKR
How about some bow string wax with silicone treatment in the string gents? Just an idea....we treat other pieces of gear with waxes and silicone
I know, I know....the product should rock out of the box. Anyhow...onto the next gear issue, tape your barrel, wax you boot, put antifog on your lenses, seam seal your tent, sharpen your blade, oil your rifle, power your batteries, ect.....

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I bought these as soon as I could but finally used them this month.
They are a big improvement over my OR gaiters. I liked the tight fit around my Kenetreks keeping debris out. I also have skinny legs so adjustable closure was great getting them snug to my leg.
After getting some miles in, I am mixed on my review. I still love the tight fitting adjustable Velcro they have, they also keep debris out and my legs dry.
I do have a hard time keeping them hooked on my laces and the snow balling up under my feet made it difficult to hike in the winter.

406unltd

WKR
How about some bow string wax with silicone treatment in the string gents? Just an idea....we treat other pieces of gear with waxes and silicone
I know, I know....the product should rock out of the box. Anyhow...onto the next gear issue, tape your barrel, wax you boot, put antifog on your lenses, seam seal your tent, sharpen your blade, oil your rifle, power your batteries, ect.....
Actually that’s a good idea. I’ll definitely prep that this winter. That ol noggin isn’t just a hat rack.

jd1006

WKR
I’ve worn these a ton. I’ll agree that getting the boot hook to stay tight was been difficult, but I never experienced the snow balling up—and I hiked in them a decent amount this winter. Still, the easiest gaiter to put on and adjust fit—and its not close. I’ve tried quite a few of them (Kuiu Yukon, Outdoor Vision Ram, T&K, and Sitka Thunderhead).

Poser

WKR
Since these aren’t using a breathable membrane such as Goretex or Toray, what’s the breathability like?