Stone glacier strap padding upgrade

madcalfe

WKR
Ok so I got back from my fly in sheep hunt. This is going on my 3rd year with the stone glacier sky talus on x curve frame and everytime I load it to around 60lbs for extended hunts the hip belt and should straps dig in. With me being only 155lbs not a whole lots of cushion on the hips and collar bones so here’s the modification I made to the pack. I just recently got back from another stone sheep hunt and it makes a world of difference (for my body type anyways)
1598665453812.jpeg
so here’s the shoulder padding taken it. it was quite easy to do just, have to let out a few seams

1598665437032.jpeg
I found this 1” thick foam at a local foam store. and just traces out the shoulder straps and hip belts and began cutting new pieces
1598665548700.jpeg
Sliding the new thicker foam up into the straps was kinda a trick cause there was less room but i got it in and it turned out wicked
1598665616297.jpeg
Here’s the old hip belt foam compared to the thicker stuff
1598665747397.jpeg
And this is it completed attached back to the frame
1598665791106.jpeg
1598665819298.jpeg
the only thing that I couldn’t do on my own was to sew up a few spots and the straps and hip belt but went to the local shoe repair guy cause he has a industrial sewing machine and he quickly zipped up the 10 spots for 15$ 🤙🏻

Attachments

• 1598665662561.jpeg
    1598665662561.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 44

slick

WKR
Did you by chance get a weight difference?
(Not that the menial oz or two difference would sway me)

Way to go dude. I will say I preferred the foam thickness of my MR than the SG. Might look into doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
madcalfe

madcalfe

WKR
Did you by chance get a weight difference?
(Not that the menial oz or two difference would sway me)

Way to go dude. I will say I preferred the foam thickness of my MR than the SG. Might look into doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no i didn't weigh it, i should have! id be surprised if it was over 10oz heavier. but i mean even if it was in that 1/2 lb range the added comfort is well worth it for me. to replace all the straps literally maybe taken me a hour.

OP
madcalfe

madcalfe

WKR
the one thing that i noticed the most was sometimes when i had it loaded down heavy prior to switching out the old foam the metal stay in the frame where they intersect at X point i could sometimes feel it hitting my spine. now with the thicker padding there is alot more room

That’s awesome. I have a similar problem with my SG, and may look into doing this too. Thanks for the idea and pictures.

*zap*

WKR
I wonder if you could order these belts/straps from SG with double the padding installed?

Nice job, btw......came out awesome!

OP
madcalfe

madcalfe

WKR
I wonder if you could order these belts/straps from SG with double the padding installed?

Nice job, btw......came out awesome!

you cant order them but i think if they had options on padding thickness when ordering a backpack it would be great!

OP
madcalfe

madcalfe

WKR
The webbing that goes on the straps. There Is I think 4 seems on each one you have to pull apart to be able to slide out the padding from the top

OP
madcalfe

madcalfe

WKR
ECCABA42-31DD-4BCD-8DA7-63BEF14C6EF3.jpeg
if you look closely at the old padding you see the stitch marks going across theres 4 on each. Just have to take out those then pull out the padding The strap are already cut to be able to take out the padding at the top,

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Love my SG but that idea is great, have always wished for a little more padding. I agree w Zap, should be able to option w thicker pad.

sr80

WKR
I had an extra set of shoulder straps so i pulled the stitches and then pulled the foam out and double stuffed my other straps, which was a major pain tin the ass, anyways the foam doubled up was too firm and wasnt comfortable at all. A softer foam would be better i think