Stone Glacier Tarp / SkyAir

Has anybody had a chance to use or see one of these in person? When I look at this, I’m seeing a 20oz setup for a tarp, mesh liner, and vestibule. So more or less a good sized one man 3 season tent for 20oz. And it costs as a package $350. I find both the weight and the cost fairly reasonable for the quality you get, but I’m curious about the performance. Any insights or thoughts? Cause I’m intrigued.

Yeah, Sneaky pointed it out to me. It’s a copycat of the Mountain Laurel Designs Patrol tarp, the only difference is that the beak is split for some reason. MLD offers the same tarp but in two different sizes and made with 4 different options of materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
They didn’t have it in the shop to look at when I stopped by. Happy to see it’s sil/sil and not PU coated.

I was curious about the split beak as well....maybe easier to set up, or tension? I’m not sure. Hopefully they put some video together on it to run through it. Certainly a light option for archery season at least.....

I was curious about the split beak as well....maybe easier to set up, or tension? I’m not sure. Hopefully they put some video together on it to run through it. Certainly a light option for archery season at least.....
Maybe they made it that way so that it’s easier to get in and out of, but it also would allow water to drop in when used by itself. The material they’re using must be super ultra thin if it only weighs 8 oz. I have a .74 cuben fiber MLD solo Patrol that is almost identical in size and weighs 8 oz.

The material they’re using must be super ultra thin if it only weighs 8 oz. I have a .74 cuben fiber MLD solo Patrol that is almost identical in size and weighs 8 oz.

Yep, it’s 10d silnylon.

OP
passinggas33
I’m not sure about the answer to that as I’ve never owned any cubes fiber, but up to this point I’ve been impressed with silnylon in general. Pretty darn durable for the weight.

I think what I find interesting though is the price. Just kind of priced out the cubes fiber from MLD and it wold be quite pricey to do it from them, especially if you went with the cubes fiber. So again the price of the SG is intriguing. As for the design, I almost see the design requiring the vestibule to keep even the littlest bit of rain out. But I guess that doesn’t deter me. Because again with the vestibule and fly you are still at only 10 ounces. And the whole inner mesh and floor is only another 10 ounces. And this is my serious question, are there any other 1+ Person tents outs there that are 20 ounces and only $350?

So is the 10d silnylon as light, if not lighter, than .74 oz. cuben fiber? I’m asking because I don’t know.

Going off memory I thought it might be but looks like ripstop by the roll 10d silnylon is 1.1 ounce. Which makes sense since most of the breathable downproof nylon fabrics around 10d are around that 0.67-0.8 ounce/SY range. So I don’t know how they do it, good point.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m not sure about the answer to that as I’ve never owned any cubes fiber, but up to this point I’ve been impressed with silnylon in general. Pretty darn durable for the weight.

I think what I find interesting though is the price. Just kind of priced out the cubes fiber from MLD and it wold be quite pricey to do it from them, especially if you went with the cubes fiber. So again the price of the SG is intriguing. As for the design, I almost see the design requiring the vestibule to keep even the littlest bit of rain out. But I guess that doesn’t deter me. Because again with the vestibule and fly you are still at only 10 ounces. And the whole inner mesh and floor is only another 10 ounces. And this is my serious question, are there any other 1+ Person tents outs there that are 20 ounces and only $350?
For a tent? Or a different tarp setup? Nemo Blaze 1p is only 2lbs, or less, and $231. That's a tent. I'm only curious as to how much that 10d sil is gonna sag when it gets wet. Cuben fiber is set it and forget it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah its light alright. I don't like the idea of 10d on a backcountry hunt.

My first thought was how do I get in it once it's pitched, I would have to lay out my ground cloth, pad and bag then pitch over it ? ( I am not very nimble ! ) I am sure it's well made and they will sell a bunch but I will pass on this one.

First off, I really love my SG packs/frames, and I'm all for a company expanding their horizons and branching out with new gear, I just wish they could have been a little more innovative and come up with something a little more original. I guess I just expected a little more from SG than a MLD's knock off, or maybe I'm just being too knit picky and I should appreciate the fact that there's one more option to look at.

Attachments

First off, I really love my SG packs/frames, and I'm all for a company expanding their horizons and branching out with new gear, I just wish they could have been a little more innovative and come up with something a little more original. I guess I just expected a little more from SG than a MLD's knock off, or maybe I'm just being too knit picky and I should appreciate the fact that there's one more option to look at.
I have not yet seen one in person so please correct me if im wrong. From what i can tell it is based of the MLD design but Stone Glacier hase streamlined it to save weight. I.E. make the back side narrower. It also seems that they have found a way to produce it more cheaply. It also seems to be a direct competitor to the Kifaru ParaTarp.

This is just what i can tell from the information at hand. The lower price point could still be a good or bad thing. Cant waite for someone to put in some serious time in the mountains with one so we can get some first hand experience and not just opinions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The MLD Solo Patrol

FRONT WIDTH: Adjustable 48 – 60 in | 120 cm – 150 cm
REAR TRIANGLE: 34″ Wide x 25″ Tall | 65 cm x 85 cm
BASELINE LENGTH: 8′ | 245 cm
RIDGELINE LENGTH: 8.2′ | 250 cm With: 10 in | 25 cm Beak

SG SkyAir ULT

Floor Area: 27’ - 32’(Dependent on pitch height)
Head Height: 41” - 47” (Dependent on pitch height)
Total length with Vestibule attached: 120”
Vestibule Compatible
Mesh Liner & Footprint Compatible
Length: 90”
Width at Foot: 36”
Width at Head: 60” - 72” (Dependent on pitch height)

MLD Duo Patrol

FRONT WIDTH: Adjustable 55 – 75 in |140 – 190 cm
REAR TRIANGLE:: 55″ Wide X 32″ Tall | 140c cm x 80 cm
BASELINE LENGTH: 8.2′ | 250 cm
RIDGELINE LENGTH: 8.5′ | 260 cm With: 12 in | 30 cm Beak

Very similar dimensions.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Where is that SG tarp sewn? At that price point i'm guessing Asia. MLD is American made and customizable. SG seems to be taking Kuiu's approach. Rebadging other designs with minor tweaks.

My first thought was how do I get in it once it's pitched, I would have to lay out my ground cloth, pad and bag then pitch over it ? ( I am not very nimble ! ) I am sure it's well made and they will sell a bunch but I will pass on this one.

This is a good point I didn’t think of, I don’t mind crawling in, just curious if the guy lines will get in the way? I love my SG packs, I’m excited to see how their new offerings perform. I hope someone with experience with this tent will post.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Where is that SG tarp sewn? At that price point i'm guessing Asia. MLD is American made and customizable. SG seems to be taking Kuiu's approach. Rebadging other designs with minor tweaks.

I’m fairly sure the tarp is a collaboration with sling fin, just like the tent.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is an older thread. I ordered one and it arrived today. I have not had time to set it up. It looks to be well thought out. Weights are spot on. I will let you know when I have a chance to set it up. We might have rain this weekend, may see how it does.4A1B8AF2-EB3E-410C-9FAB-892BB45C35E2.jpeg7ACD399D-5E39-44C5-A176-F8835E198229.jpeg2B7D19E2-9194-4E58-AB96-0FFF22678034.jpeg