Stone Glacier Tarp / SkyAir

I'm still really considering this shelter for early season high country archery hunting. My one question is I wonder if you really need the vestibule? I was gonna run it just tarp and nest. It seems like it should keep you dry unless its really blowing rain.

accumax

FNG
I just bought the tent, vestibule and bug mesh. I think the vestibule is really important for the whole set up. It was like $50 and only weighs 2.2 ounces. I think it really close off the tent from wind and rain. Also I'm 6'4 and the top of my sleeping bag above my toes just touches the end wall of the tent with my head near the trekking pole. with the vesibule I won't be getting a wet face.

So far, I've only set it up on my lawn, never taken it out in the field...but I'm super impressed with the whole package. It does look like condensation could be an issue with the vestibule fully closed.

junior

WKR
Curious about getting the mesh liner and using it with my Mountainsmith Shelter LT. Does anyone know if this would work?

Not familiar with that tent but I’m guessing there’s a way you could make it work. I just picked up the whole system and have yet to test it out. Was going to sell my supertarp with annex but now you have me thinking I could maybe rig it up as a bivy for inside my supertarp. We’ll see if the 10d surprises me for durability but I know for sure I’m confident in the Kifaru 30D in really rough conditions

Not familiar with that tent but I’m guessing there’s a way you could make it work. I just picked up the whole system and have yet to test it out. Was going to sell my supertarp with annex but now you have me thinking I could maybe rig it up as a bivy for inside my supertarp. We’ll see if the 10d surprises me for durability but I know for sure I’m confident in the Kifaru 30D in really rough conditions

The mountain smith and supertarp were designed by the same person and similarly shaped. I believe the supertarp is larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junior

WKR
Any updated reviews from this season? I'm considering this for next year.

For the most part, it has delivered about exactly what I expected. A good early season shelter with Light weight + versatility + at a fair price. With this shelter I do not expect to use it in rough conditions, and I do not expect it to last 10 years. You just can’t expect great durability with this weight of fabric and at this price. I could obviously be proven wrong but that’s my opinion.

If you are wanting something at similar weight but more durable you are going to pay a lot more, you need to look at dyneema/cuben shelters.

If you want something at similar price but willing to carry a little more weight I don’t think the Kifaru Supertarp/paratarp can be beat. Add a mesh 6 oz bivy if condensation is a concern.

Things I wish were different with the sky air ULT:
-reference marks on it for suggested trekking pole height. There is nothing listed at all on Stone Glaciers site. I had to go to SlingFin to find the recommendation. It’s not rocket science but I really hate adjusting stakes 3 times when the ground is miserable and rocky.
-I don’t love how the rear pole pitches
-2 loops on each side for guy out points instead of 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk