Stone Glacier Terminus Review

MT_Wyatt

WKR
ive always used a kifaru gun bearer on my packs. I dont like how with the SG sling you have to strap the rifle to your pack and then throw your pack on hoping that your rifle doesn't fall off
I could totally see that - have used one for year though and never had that happen. GEtting the gun on my pack suspension is nice, at the sacrifice of convenience when starting/stopping cruising around. But having a gunbearer (ie rifle separate) would be a nice way to get around having it strapped onto the pack, and still carry nice. My buddy uses one of those.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also have the terminus, and find it more comfortable under every load than previous SG packs i have owned. Love the new material, its not loud or crinkly, keeps the rain out so i wont be packing a rain cover anymore. Power pulls on the belt are great, i guess the only thing i wish it had was a sleeve inside for a water bladder.
I find it more comfortable so far too.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve got a sheep hunt in 2024 and I’m concerned about volume. It’s a 10 day hunt. Does everyone think that with a full meat pocket, the 4800 remaining is enough??
If push came to shove you could have a dry bag on the outside of your backpack.

ljalberta

WKR
I pulled the trigger on this setup,, have the 5900 with xcruve and its brilliant,, hope the terminus is as good
I’m really digging mine thus far. Although, for the moment I still have my Solo and Xcurve frame for packing big quarters. The Terminus horizontal pocket is a sleek unit as well. Only taken mine on training/fishing trips so far, but looking forward to loading some meat into the sleeve this fall.

Mine its going for a stone sheep hunting here in less than one week!
Good luck buddy! Hope you find one that makes your special parts tingle and you get to send an eldx into the boiler room👍 test the terminus load hauling capabilities and feast on sheep ribs and heart over an open fire.... yes sirrr, that's the ticket

schmalzy

WKR
Any updates from Terminus users now that some sheep/goat seasons have kicked off?

Was pleased with how mine performed. Fitting half a sheep and full camp would be pretty slim but doable. I didn’t have all of my camp with me on the pack out. I think I’d like just slightly more organization with another pocket or two but then again I’m not positive on that either. It’s a specific use pack and I think it fits that niche well.

Anything else specific you want to know? Mine shed rain and snow well but we didn’t get dumped on too bad while hiking. Components held up well. Pack compresses very well for day mode. Didn’t squeak at all. Narrow which was really nice for busting brush and climbing through tight spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sr80

WKR
Im back from stone sheep trip. I didnt get lucky enough to pack a ram off the mountain but really liked the terminus. I didnt bring a rain cover, we were rained on a few times and the pack was soaked and was happy to see that the contents weren't wet. Im still a big fan of this pack.

I’m back from my first Alaska sheep hunt with the Terminus. We had really wet weather and lots of brush. In truly wet weather, your going to need either a pack cover or to seam seal the bag. SG does not claim that the pack is waterproof, only the material. Both my partner and I used the Terminus and both had considerable water ingress. While I used DCF packing cubes and stuff sacks for my gear, my partner only used a Sil stuff sack for his down sleeping bag, which got quite wet on the first day of the pack in.
I hate using pack covers, so I’m going to use Kevin Timm’s advice from Seek Outside and seam seal the exterior seams of the bag with Gear Aid Seam Grip FC. This should greatly help with keeping water out when your in really wet conditions.
3a9ea991ae13ba22f5455a8e6964a6fb.jpg

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Mine worked well for SE AK goat. Boned out goat plus camp carried well. However, it didn't get tested with rain/wet. Thanks for sharing your experience B_Reynolds_AK. I'll have to think how to handle it going forward and like your idea to seam seal. The quick release gun sling did not work well for me. Probably operator error, but I couldn't lock the release clip. I ended up just using the bottom portion of the sling to support the rifle and lashed it to the side of the pack.

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
i recently picked up a terminus to use as my mule deer bag. I have been using a sg evo 40/56 on an xcurve frame for the past 2 seasons. I am a big fan of the xcurve frame and am interested to see if the weight savings of the terminus is worth the geometry and lack of meat shelf.

schmalzy

WKR
Update for anyone trying to figure out a good option but the hydrapak 2L seeker fits horizontally across the terminus lid really well. Kind of ticks out of the way up front while still giving plenty of lid room.

I’m back from my first Alaska sheep hunt with the Terminus. We had really wet weather and lots of brush. In truly wet weather, your going to need either a pack cover or to seam seal the bag. SG does not claim that the pack is waterproof, only the material. Both my partner and I used the Terminus and both had considerable water ingress. While I used DCF packing cubes and stuff sacks for my gear, my partner only used a Sil stuff sack for his down sleeping bag, which got quite wet on the first day of the pack in.
I hate using pack covers, so I’m going to use Kevin Timm’s advice from Seek Outside and seam seal the exterior seams of the bag with Gear Aid Seam Grip FC. This should greatly help with keeping water out when your in really wet conditions.
3a9ea991ae13ba22f5455a8e6964a6fb.jpg

I just purchased this pack a few months ago, but I haven’t used it yet, did it actually hold water inside, from what leaked in from the seams? I also use DCF stuff sacks and dry bags, and I also hate using rain flies, but I’m thinking that I could probably deal with having the stuff inside my pack being a little wet, as long as I didn’t end up carrying around a bunch of extra water. Also, if seam sealing is a must, I wonder what would work best, inside or outside. Just thinking that if a person was doing a lot of bushwhacking, they might have some issues with wear and tear on the seam seal on the outside.

I just purchased this pack a few months ago, but I haven’t used it yet, did it actually hold water inside, from what leaked in from the seams? I also use DCF stuff sacks and dry bags, and I also hate using rain flies, but I’m thinking that I could probably deal with having the stuff inside my pack being a little wet, as long as I didn’t end up carrying around a bunch of extra water. Also, if seam sealing is a must, I wonder what would work best, inside or outside. Just thinking that if a person was doing a lot of bushwhacking, they might have some issues with wear and tear on the seam seal on the outside.

If significant water made its way in, yes it would remain inside. You will need to seam seal the exterior seams. I used Seamgrip FC and painted the seams carefully with a small paint brush. I think I need to re-do it with more sealant though, as it was a neat job, but not quite as effective as I hoped. It definitely did help though. One mistake I made was not stretching the seams out enough so that the sealant cures in the position it will be when loaded. The next time I will fully stuff my pack with sleeping bags etc. in order to fill it out, then seal the seams.

MT_Wyatt

WKR

I had same experience in extended rain, setting bag down in wet areas, etc - bottom of bag had some water pooled in it. A lot more than I was expecting honestly.