Stone Glacier vs Kifaru Duplex Lite

renagde

WKR
I'm looking for some opinions from people who have tried these specific frames. I know the SG XCurve is probably a more direct comparison to the new Kifaru Duplex Lite, but I know there's some fans of the Krux Evo. Krux Evo is around 7 oz less, the XCurve a little heavier. The Kifaru comes in 24" frame which would fit me better vs the 26" SG frames. I have used the Kifaru Duplex hunter, which was a very comfortable frame for me. I have access to try both SG frames. Does this come down to whichever is most comfortable for me, or is there any advantage from one to the other? I'm talking specifically frames, not whether Kifaru or SG as a system is better.

Trekker

FNG
The hip belt on the kifaru is the difference maker. I liked everything about the Xcurve frame other than the hip belts. The kifaru duplex lite is definitely the more comfortable pack and packs a load much better on your hips then the stone glacier in my opinion.
From a frame alone stand point, the stone glacier comes with a built in load shelf. The duplex lite will need either a bag or a cargo/quarter panel.

Tradchef

WKR
I ran the X curve in 2017 and I ran the Duplex Lite last year. The reason I switched was the 26” frame on my short torso in day mode was really annoying hitting the back of my head. That being said, it carried meat really well. If they offered their frames in 24” I would have stayed with that system. I felt like the SG rode better on me keeping it tight to my back when I had an animal down. I have the Lite now. I have that in 24” and it’s really nice. I agree the belt on the kifaru is a lot nicer. I also like the buckle adjustment better than the hook and loop Velcro on the SG but that just a personal thing. I packed 3 deer and a late season bull with it last year. I overloaded on the elk to cut down on trips made. It carried weight super well. There is a little play with the frame shifting side to side but it wasn’t a big deal. There’s a comparison on Vimeo from rokslide comparing the duplex to the SG. It shows this happening to the guy doing the review. Some short torso people love the 26” and have no issues. They you’ll notice where it shines with a heavy load in it. The kifaru is fantastic as well. It will just come down to what you prefer between the two.

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
I just recently tried both of those on with weight at the Expo. I ended up with the Kifaru personally. BUT, it is possible your body type may like the SG better.
I went into the show thinking the SG was the way to go and I was getting the EVO for sure. I did not at all like the flat back. The curved frame fits 100% better for my body type. Again, may be different for you. the other problem I had with the Evo is the frame seemed to barrel pretty heavily with the load they had on it. So it was pushing into the center of my back up high. Not comfortable. The Xcurve seemed to do that a bit less.
The Kifaru fit me well, was comfortable as can be. The lumbar pad, the waist belt, all of it. Fit me like a glove after setup. They added that horizontal stay so no barreling in that one. I highly recommend finding someone near you with the new Kifaru to try out. Or order one and return it if it ends up not being the right fit for you.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Interesting. Sounds like i should load up the 2 SG packs and see how they ride. Does anyone know exactly what the Kifaru Lite or Ultralite weighs? I saw a review over on the Kifaru forums that they're actually quite a bit more than advertised. When you figure in the 1 shot forum discount on the SG packs, Kifaru is over $75 more with their excessive shipping charges and no discount codes. If I can save 10-12 oz and save $75 doing it that'd be worth it

wyodan

WKR
I have both a SG X-curve and a 24" Kifaru Hunter frame, I don't have a duplex lite. However, I consider both frames to be pretty equal with both having their advantages. Kifaru does have a better belt, but I still find the X-curve very comfortable. Both packs ride about the same height, the X-curve sits on my body just a little differently than the Kifaru. For hunting, I like the X-curve system a little better. I prefer to carry quarters between the frame and bag, and the SG setup with the loadshelf is easier and quicker to access. That load is strapped down tight. The Kifaru load shelf is a bit more of a challenge to get to with the K-clips on the load lifters. Both end up being great systems though, I am constantly switching back and forth trying to figure out which system I like better. I do carry a backpack with me nearly all weekend every weekend.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve used the xcurve and now have the evo. My back profile is in between but the evo is better for me. The weight savings is a nice bonus but I got lucky and didn’t sacrifice comfort so I wouldn’t recommend choosing solely on their weight.

The biggest thing to keep in mind when trying either one (sg) is to play with the lumbar pad. It went from this sucks to really nice with a minor pad adjustment. Overall I found the xcurve gave a little more, moved with me where as the evo is more like a board. That’s nitpicking them. Comfort hit a wall above 60# with the curve, evo’s wall is 70#. Definitely doable with either, just chasing perfection is all.

Both use the same quality buckles and are equally compatible with bags and accessories, except the weapon sling is frame specific.

No real Kifaru experience to compare.

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a duplex hunter 24”, duplex lite 26”, krux Evo and tried my buddies x curve. Did a couple workouts with each loaded up with 100lbs. SG krux evo is my choice. All great packs and I think it will be more personal preference as you can see from the responses.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
I have had a duplex hunter 24”, duplex lite 26”, krux Evo and tried my buddies x curve. Did a couple workouts with each loaded up with 100lbs. SG krux evo is my choice. All great packs and I think it will be more personal preference as you can see from the responses.

Thanks for the comparison. Sounds like I might have to give the Evo Krux a shot.

if you already have access to the SG frames Id suggest ordering the duplex lite , loading it up with 70-80plus and then loading the SGs for a true comparison. its the only way youll truly know in the long run what works best for you and it will give you peace of mind. if not then youll always be wondering. i have a hunch back and for me the SG xcurve frame works best for me. wish i could do a kifaru belt on an xcurve frame thatd be best of both worlds

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the comparison. Sounds like I might have to give the Evo Krux a shot.
No problem. Another pack I resently tried at a sportsman’s show that is relatively new is the initial ascent pack. It only had 40ish lbs probably but i really liked it and I will definitely be picking one up to try soon. Not to make your choice more complicated, but just something else to check out.

I'm looking for some opinions from people who have tried these specific frames. I know the SG XCurve is probably a more direct comparison to the new Kifaru Duplex Lite, but I know there's some fans of the Krux Evo. Krux Evo is around 7 oz less, the XCurve a little heavier. The Kifaru comes in 24" frame which would fit me better vs the 26" SG frames. I have used the Kifaru Duplex hunter, which was a very comfortable frame for me. I have access to try both SG frames. Does this come down to whichever is most comfortable for me, or is there any advantage from one to the other? I'm talking specifically frames, not whether Kifaru or SG as a system is better.

I would say up to 70 lbs, the stone glacier has more pros than the kifaru, if your not particular about a feature set.

60+ lbs and it’s hard to beat the kifaru frame.

Now if you prefer the system features if either more than the other, that could be important and sway your choice.

I own them all, and I use the stone glacier for lighter loads, simplicity, and being generally satisfied.

That being said, for me, the kifaru is the winner for 90% of what I do. If I could do it all over again I’d probably have just stuck with the kifaru, but curiosity got me and I’ve optimized my system for my specific needs.

I will add that if the 24” fits you better, of all the variables, that is the most important, the second most being what you ACTUALLY carry vs what you will carry every now and then. If you hunt and hike with 40lbs and will do that 200 days a year, but then you’ll hunt for 8 days a year and carry 50lbs but then do meat loads of 80+, you may want to consider the 80/20 rule.

My system is a sg curve with an r3300 bag for day hunts and over nighters.

For everything else I run a 26” kifaru and a cavern.

My kifaru has never failed and was much more forgiving during the dial in process.

My stoneglacier has been picky and took a while to dial in.

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know if Kifaru ever runs any deals on their frames? Even free shipping would be huge.

They had a good discount at the hunt expo that just passed. Give them a call, maybe they can do something for you? Their customer service is great!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Like some of the others here, I go back and forth and have trouble committing fully to either pack. I have a SG xcurve and a solo 3300 bag and lid, I love the pack for 1-3 nights but anything longer or when I’m expecting to really haul weight (mood hunting), I go for my kifaru with tactical frame and fulcrum bag.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Like some of the others here, I go back and forth and have trouble committing fully to either pack. I have a SG xcurve and a solo 3300 bag and lid, I love the pack for 1-3 nights but anything longer or when I’m expecting to really haul weight (mood hunting), I go for my kifaru with tactical frame and fulcrum bag.

Have you tried the SG Evo Crux? I was really looking at the Crux/Solo combo as a sub 4lb package. I thought maybe with the addition of the Access bag (or maybe my Kifaru Sherman pocket) and a lid I could get into the 5 day range?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Have you tried the SG Evo Crux? I was really looking at the Crux/Solo combo as a sub 4lb package. I thought maybe with the addition of the Access bag (or maybe my Kifaru Sherman pocket) and a lid I could get into the 5 day range?

I didn’t try that one. It came out about a week after I got my xcurve so I’d already spent the $$$

Not to offend, but that set up should clear 5 days easily unless your talking the winter months. Do you utilize the shelf? Or are you putting everything inside the bag only and using the shelf for meat.