Stone Glacier vs Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Looking for an opinion on advantage or disadvantage of 2 very similar bags. Western Mountaineering has a classic reputation for quality, but I am impressed with the specs on the SG Chilkoot bag. I have tried the WM Badger 15 degree for size, fits well and is beyond impressive in quality. Anyone have advice or experience with one or preferably both bags?

0362845d0d0d39d3a1c89cfcb972d547.jpg

2a6ad329355da58cf5c4916ba7562b7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kopecsean

FNG
I own 2 Western mountaineering bags and they are the best bags I've ever seen. Kodiak and the sycamore.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kopecsean

FNG
They are also made in the United States I'm not sure about stone glacier, They may be also

Vandy321

WKR
I'd suggest the WM versalite over the badger..its rated 5 degrees colder and weighs 8oz less.

OP
eaglebowhunter
I'd suggest the WM versalite over the badger..its rated 5 degrees colder and weighs 8oz less.

Thanks! I was “comfortably tight” in the Badger, I know I’m going to need the 65” shoulder width. I had a Kuiu bag and never even slept in it because of how uncomfortably tight it was.

Gobbler36

WKR
I bought an antelope this year after going through the same conundrum, and oh man the WM is so freaking nice I didn’t understand what loft was till I got that thing. The microfiber is very comfy and it is flat out warm. Didn’t get to lay hands on the stone glacier but I bet it’s a good bag but I gave an edge to WM due to the fact that they specialize in one thing; making down products and it was a big plus to me that it has made in the USA stitched on it

kickemall

WKR
I always fall back on if I'm not sure I go with the proven track record which in this case is WM.

tdhanses

WKR
I picked up the 0* SG bag, seems like a very good bag, guess it’ll find out in the next few months.

Grover

FNG
I bought the SG Chilkoot last year and love it. They also have great customer service.

I had the same question but was able to find a WM Kodiak and a zero degree Chilkoot to climb into and get a feel for. My opinion, it boils down to how much you are willing to pay for made in the USA. With the Rokslide discount from @1shotgear the difference was around $250. I went with the Chilkoot and it is a quality piece of gear and extremely warm.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The baffles on the WM let you redistribute down according to temps and needs. Vertical baffles on the SG bag don't allow that. WM is made by a company in the US that specializes in one thing, down products. SG bag is imported from Asia and costs almost as much as the US made WM bag. Vote with your wallet, but I'm keeping as much of my money in this country as I can.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Western Mountaineering Ultralite and it leaves nothing to be desired. If a better bag exists, it is beyond my feeble comprehension.

OP
eaglebowhunter
Thanks everyone for the comments and advice, and thank you for the reference to the thread that had incredibly valuable info. The consensus seems pretty strong toward WM for their made in the US quality and the ability to redistribute the fill. I can also pick up the WM Badger from a local shop here and support them (although it’s a hippy backpacking store)!

ytlogger

FNG
In my experience as a Badger sleeper, I'll bet if you if the Badger was comfortable and a good fit, the 32 inch shoulder width of the SG bag would be tight and cold. I used a number of good quality bags over the years and never got the temp rating out of them. While shivering one early morning, I realized that the inside and outside of the bag were touching all the way around the shoulders. No insulation there. I bought the Badger and never looked back.