Stone Glacier vs Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

tdhanses

WKR
I returned my SG after one week elk hunting a bought a WM. I wasn’t impressed with the durability. Warmth was just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What durability issues did you have with the SG?

whaack

WKR
What durability issues did you have with the SG?

Outer shell snags and runs. I babied the bag and it it looked like I road it hard and put it up wet. Multiple micro tears in the shell and it should have had any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Thanks for all the useful information guys. I've been in the process of progressively moving my gear towards made in the USA whenever I have good options...or at the very least, not made in China...and that's a statement about their government, not the people.

Anyway, I just pulled the trigger on a WM Badger MF. Customer service was quick and helpful, and my local distributer offered a veteran's discount, which was very generous...I paid in cash and bought him lunch as a thank-you. I have no doubt that the Badger will be a great addition to my on-going Alaskan hunting and pack-rafting adventures!

Thanks again guys...

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Badger is IMO probably the sweet spot for most people. The MF shell breathes well as well, which I think helps it be very comfortable to it's temp rating. A clammy bag will feel chilly by comparison.

Thanks for all the useful information guys. I've been in the process of progressively moving my gear towards made in the USA whenever I have good options...or at the very least, not made in China...and that's a statement about their government, not the people.

Anyway, I just pulled the trigger on a WM Badger MF. Customer service was quick and helpful, and my local distributer offered a veteran's discount, which was very generous...I paid in cash and bought him lunch as a thank-you. I have no doubt that the Badger will be a great addition to my on-going Alaskan hunting and pack-rafting adventures!

Thanks again guys...
Did you go to Barneys? I'm also in the market for a new bag and can't decide between WM or Kifaru. I spent a considerable amount of time in my PR49 this year, and plan to do way more raft trips in the future, which is the only thing pushing me towards synthetic.

Flipped my raft in the Gulkana this summer, and that thing was upside down for a minute before I could right it- Watershed dry bags fortunately saved the day. Wife instantly forgot that she had been upset with their cost!

AKDoc

WKR
Did you go to Barneys? I'm also in the market for a new bag and can't decide between WM or Kifaru. I spent a considerable amount of time in my PR49 this year, and plan to do way more raft trips in the future, which is the only thing pushing me towards synthetic.

Flipped my raft in the Gulkana this summer, and that thing was upside down for a minute before I could right it- Watershed dry bags fortunately saved the day. Wife instantly forgot that she had been upset with their cost!
Yup on Barneys...those guys are great. The WM Badger MF is pricey, but right out of the box it will impress you, e.g., top of the line materials, 850-down loft, an totally snag-proof zipper design, comfortable sizing/fit, and noticeably excellent production craftsmanship.

Off-topic side note: I've logged a lot of miles in my PR-49HD as well...and more to come! I also bought a Kork a couple years ago. Pack-raft fishing and hunting trips are my absolute favorites up here.

Attachments

• IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2317.jpg
    IMG_2317.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0849.jpeg
    IMG_0849.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0859.jpeg
    IMG_0859.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 59
Yup on Barneys...those guys are great. The WM Badger MF is pricey, but right out of the box it will impress you, e.g., top of the line materials, 850-down loft, an totally snag-proof zipper design, comfortable sizing/fit, and noticeably excellent production craftsmanship.

Off-topic side note: I've logged a lot of miles in my PR-49HD as well...and more to come! I also bought a Kork a couple years ago. Pack-raft fishing and hunting trips are my absolute favorites up here.

Is that a SO tipi? I see you're a man of taste. I had a Redcliff that I love. I may also have to buy another raft- I've discovered that it's hard to convince my buddies to invest the money in a raft.

Attachments

• 20201115_095547.jpg
    20201115_095547.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200703_111925.jpg
    20200703_111925.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200705_120123.jpg
    20200705_120123.jpg
    659.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200615_103155.jpg
    20200615_103155.jpg