Stone Glacier vs WM?

For those saying WM over SG and its not even close, I'm curious what specifics you are talking about? I have used both and now using a Feathered Friends. Besides made in USA the one thing I like WM or FF over SG is I like a full length zip, baffles that are horizontal (so I can move down around) and different lengths as SG comes in basically a long size.
Its all the little details and quality that comes from a long standing specialized company. The only thing WM and FF make is down outdoor products and they are damn good at it. They know what works and what doesn't. Have you noticed that WM and FF don't announce new products every other month? Its because their gear is dialed and doesn't need a new version to replace the previous shittier version all the time.

OP
cornfedkiller
I would also add that I prefer buying products from companies who are the actual maker, not just the branded middle party.

I'll agree with that... I know SG is the branded middle party of their tents (their 2p skyscraper anyway), but are they not the maker of their sleeping bags (just out of curiosity)?

I can't say I'm surprised about all the support of WM and I lean toward that bag anyway, but I'm a little surprised at the lack of support of the SG considering it did so well in Robby's testing. Even the kuiu bag seemed to be a little warmer than the WM in his tests.

sndmn11

WKR
I'll agree with that... I know SG is the branded middle party of their tents (their 2p skyscraper anyway), but are they not the maker of their sleeping bags (just out of curiosity)?

I can't say I'm surprised about all the support of WM and I lean toward that bag anyway, but I'm a little surprised at the lack of support of the SG considering it did so well in Robby's testing. Even the kuiu bag seemed to be a little warmer than the WM in his tests.

To be more specific to what I meant, I like buying products where the person I am talking to can pop out of their office onto the production floor. I think people would be surprised at the production overlap due to the use of contracted sewing facilities for USA sewn textiles. In the case of the SG bag, this is why I lean towards FF and WM, not because of (assumed) country of production. I fully admit to assuming that the SG bags are made overseas, but am wide open to being wrong. I would be shocked though if they had W2 employees sewing sleeping bags start to finish.

To be more specific to what I meant, I like buying products where the person I am talking to can pop out of their office onto the production floor. I think people would be surprised at the production overlap due to the use of contracted sewing facilities for USA sewn textiles. In the case of the SG bag, this is why I lean towards FF and WM, not because of (assumed) country of production. I fully admit to assuming that the SG bags are made overseas, but am wide open to being wrong. I would be shocked though if they had W2 employees sewing sleeping bags start to finish.
99.9% sure they're of foreign origin.

Like I mentioned in another thread(and maybe this one) - Im not necessarily taking issue with foreign made products. I understand the role they usually play - a budget bag with nice features for the guys who can't afford to slap down WM or FF money for a bag.

It's just hard to swallow when a foreign sourced bag is within $100 of an American made, top of the line sleeping bag.

I suppose its for the brand yuppies, same thing I figure with their quilt. In that case its a hundred more than the American made counterpart. The guys who see "Stone Glacier" and immediately have to have it.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Used the chilkoot last season, no big complaints other than its one size. Sold it and bought the WM badger this year, mainly for the sole reason it's made in USA...not to mention all the great reviews. And I was able to get a shorter model.

Totoro

WKR
I am lucky enough be be 20 minutes from WM.

Great facility and great people.

My cherished WM bag is over 10 years old and still stoopid warm.

Though lately, I've been cheating on that bag and sleeping with my EE quilt.

R_burg

WKR
I sleep sort of cold since I'm taller and lankier, and I've had my WM Badger (with overfill) into the negatives and have never been cold. That bag is the sh*t.

BTW - I also cant say enough about Hermits Hut. They got me a bag shipped from WM in no time. I was leaving for a hunt and they didn't have the bag in stock, so they got WM to take a bag from a different order and send it to me and the order was turned around ASAP, even though it meant extra work for them. That place is awesome.

This isn't to take anything away from SG. I've had Kurt's pack since 2016 and love it - I prefer them to any other - but his tent is not his design (although it looks cool) and I doubt his sleeping bags are. Maybe I would try an SG bag if I got a great deal on one used, but no way I'd buy one new over a WM.

Last edited:

zacattack

WKR
Planning on getting a 15 degree bag.. looking for opinions between SG and WM...

WM is made in USA, and I like that you can send you bag in after 10+ years of use to get refurbished, down added, etc..

SG is a little cheaper, slightly colder ratings, but they list their dimensions in diameter (I assume?) vs cirumference, so its hard to tell the size difference, and I never hear any complaints about them...

I'm curious if its worth saving a little money and getting the SG, or if i should buy the WM?
I’ll pile on the WM badger or a feathered friends train

I also think the baffle design of WM of FF can’t be overstated. The ability to move down from bottom to top or vis versa is awesome. I have taken both WM and FF bags 8-10 degrees past starting to get that shiver cold feeling once I moved most of the down to the top. Again as always stated this only works if you have a good R value sleeping bad minimum R value 4.2.

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any experience with SG bags, but I have a WM Kodiak and it's the best bag I have ever had. Construction is top notch, the stiffener sewn in along the zipper makes you wonder why every bag maker isn't using this feature, and they are warm down to their rating and even a little lower (first bag I've had that was able to do that).

Maz7869

FNG
I own three WM bags. The Mity Lite, Terra Lite with overfill, and Sequoia with overfill from hermit hut. I live in FL and the Mity Lite is perfect for camping in our warm spring temps. The other two are split depending on the temps and I couldn’t be happier with their performance. I’ve slept in the Sequoia down to low single digits in Wyoming and had no issues getting cold. I do like the bag expander for the Mity Lite and Terra Lite as I’m a side sleeper.

ljalberta

WKR
I have a WM Alpinlite. I hunted this year with guys using the SG quilt and the SG 0* bag. While I still prefer my WM bag, I liked a lot of things the SG was doing. I liked the magnetic closures instead of Velcro and I personally prefer vertical baffles. I think the hood design might be better on the SG as well.

Now, I still prefer the WM as I liked the 6’ model and the ability to have the bag overfilled.

If I was a one bag sort of fellow, and I wasn’t doing any 10+day sheep hunts, I think I would just get the Badger. But again, SG is no slouch.

bober90

FNG
Out of curiosity, is the Badger the general recommendation for WM if you were getting 1 bag? I've been looking at the SG 15 and the WM UltraLite, but it seems a lot of people recommend the Badger. Looking to upgrade from a Cabela's Ascend 20 deg bag.

Wheels

WKR
Out of curiosity, is the Badger the general recommendation for WM if you were getting 1 bag? I've been looking at the SG 15 and the WM UltraLite, but it seems a lot of people recommend the Badger. Looking to upgrade from a Cabela's Ascend 20 deg bag.
In my opinion, the Badger is the best all around bag in the WM lineup unless you plan on camping in 0* and colder climate. Even then, you could use the badger with wearing some insulation. If you don't think you need a 15* bag, then some of the lighter options would work. Pound for pound the badger is hard to beat, just troll some of the backpacking and mountain climbing forums.