Stone Glacier Xcurve - My Initial Impression and Comparisons to Other Popular Packs

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Stone Glacier Xcurve - My Initial Impression and Comparisons to Other Popular Frames

I know a lot of people have been wondering about this frame and asking a lot of questions, so I decided to post this to maybe help out some guys like me who want more info.

I'm somewhat of a newbie to backpack hunting. My first hunt was last year and I carried a Mystery Ranch Marshall on a NICE frame. My buddy and I went for 6 days in Colorado the last week of archery season, and he carried a Kifaru Hunting frame with an AMR bag. I was pretty happy with the MR until we traded packs on a training hike and I noticed that I could walk much more upright with the Kifaru. No matter how I loaded the MR I always seemed to be walking hunched over quite a bit. Again, I thought this was normal until I tried his pack. So, I decided that for 2017 I would try some other packs. Since I could borrow his pack I decided to order a Stone Glacier Xcurve with a Sky 5900 bag to compare the two and would use whichever one I liked best. I am 6'0" and 170lbs, with a 32" waist and an overall slender build (lanky), and a curved back. Rankings are subjective on a scale of 10.

Unloaded:

MR: 8/10 - Nice and comfy, good movement. Heavier than the other two.

Kifaru: 8/10 - Comfy, lighter than the MR, but the frame sheet was evident when twisting my body.

SG: 10/10 - Like it wasn't even there. Extremely light and moved with me very well. I didn't measure width, but the frame and bag seemed narrower and like they wouldn't get caught on brush and limbs when hiking.

Loaded with a 60lb tube of sand:

MR: 7/10 - Harness and belt were still comfy, but I had to walk hunched over again.

Kifaru: 9/10 - The frame really sucked the load into my back and everything felt great. Slight lateral shift of the load when leaning over to the side...might be a problem when climbing over deadfall (might be less of a concern for beefy fellas with a wider torso. Good airflow to my back.

SG: 9/10 - Suspension carried the load great, and I really noticed how well the belt grabbed my hips without cinching down super tight. Airflow was not as good as the Kifaru. The load didn't shift or want to pull me over when climbing over obstacles.

Loaded with 120 lbs of sand (two 60lb tubes)

MR: 6/10 - Belt and harness were still good, load lifters worked well, but I was really having to hunch way over to keep the load balanced over my hips...this begins to hurt the lower back really fast. I believe this is because the NICE frame is flat, and I have a pretty good curve to my back.

Kifaru: 5/10 - I'm sure this is due to my body's geometry (I have no butt), but I couldn't keep the pack from sliding down and transferring a lot of the weight to my shoulders. The load lifters didn't really do much at this point. I cinched the belt down to the point that I was experiencing significant pain on the front of my hip bones, and the pack still wanted to slip down. This shocked me as I was expecting this frame to be the most comfortable under a heavy load after reading the comments of others here on Rokslide. Maybe some of this could have been helped with adjustments, but everything was adjusted according to Kifaru's videos. I didn't try to get the weight to shift around because I think I would have fallen over.

SG: 9/10 - This is where the Xcurve's hip belt really began to shine. Even after my hips being sore from the Kifaru's belt I didn't experience any pain, and didn't have to tighten it down near as hard for it to stay solidly in place. The load felt really "locked in". I didn't even experiment with the dual strap design, it just worked "as is." At this weight the load lifter angle was much lower than with 60lbs, but they still functioned pretty well. I could tell there wasn't much airflow, but none of the packs had much airflow at this point. I'm really impressed with this frame and will be training and hunting with it this season. I only subtracted a point because there is no such thing as a perfect 10/10 with 120lbs, except a mule to carry it:D and the perceived lack of airflow.

The bags: All three bags are top notch and look to be tough. I don't have much time with the SG, but the MR and Kifaru have been bombproof through one season of elk and whitetail hunting, as well as training. The MR Marshall and frame are heavy, but have some really nice features...love the snow collar, lid, and extra straps. The Kifaru has the market cornered on add-ons and extra bags, I really like the modularity. I want to try putting the 14'er on the SG frame, because it looks to be the perfect treestand whitetail bag. The Sky 5900 has a more minimalist design but is really well thought out where it counts. The lid is smaller than the others, and I'm not sure what to do with the lid straps when day hunting without the lid. I wish they came in different colors, because the stone grey color won't blend into the Kansas deer woods very well and might stick out when hanging in the tree next to me during archery season. Its definitely worth the trade off though, I love the light weight and streamlined profile, as well as the front access and spotter/accessory pocket. Cant really go wrong with any of these bags.

Finally, I want to note that these are my subjective findings based on MY BODY. What works for me might not work for you. Your best bet would be to try on a few different bags. If anyone in NE KS wants to try the MR or SG hit me up!

Last edited:

DWhitt

Lil-Rokslider
Great info on the packs I'm considering!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

handwerk

WKR
Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Although I got the new SG Xframe/5900 a couple weeks ago I haven't had the chance to load it up with much weight, but I too have a curved back( 6'1 175) and this new frame feels like a great fit so far. I've had a couple kifaru packs and while they are a great setup, the fit for me never seemed right. I also am a fan of the exo packs and have been using one for 3+ years and have been very happy thus far, but I have a feeling the SG frame might be my best bet when it comes to heavy loads. My plan is to use both the exo (2016 3500) and the SG this year, likely keeping both of them, just using them on different types of hunts.

OP
H

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. It s a good time to be a hunter...so many good choices out there.

LBFowler

WKR
Your Kifaru experience mirrors my own. If you don't have a butt it is probably wise to order at least one size taller frame then you think you will need as it will probably crawl down your back. My 26" frame turned into a 24"> frame at any weight above 50lbs.

I have only tried on a SG crux frame once with no weight but it did feel like this would be less of an issue, the stiffer belt and smaller lumbar pad felt like it would work better for me.

Your Kifaru experience mirrors my own. If you don't have a butt it is probably wise to order at least one size taller frame then you think you will need as it will probably crawl down your back. My 26" frame turned into a 24"> frame at any weight above 50lbs.

I have only tried on a SG crux frame once with no weight but it did feel like this would be less of an issue, the stiffer belt and smaller lumbar pad felt like it would work better for me.

My DT1 with 26" composite stays would rub my lumbar area raw with heavier loads. I played around with it a little, changed out the lumbar pad, but nothing seemed to work. I ended up selling it, buying a SG, a few years ago, and no more issues with lumbar rash. Just purchased the Xcurve frame and received it today, can't wait to load it up and test it out. I think I'll do that tomorrow.

mvmnts

WKR
Great write up! I have a very similar build to you. I'm 6'2" 180lbs. I was torn between kifaru and SG, but I put in an order for the new xcurve, hoping it fits me well. Will report back next month.

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
I have narrowed it down to a kifaru tac 24 frame or the SG xframe. One or the other. Going to use with a cargo net a sew my own drybags. I am still torn between the two having experienced neither.
Part of me was thinking of ordering both and returning the one I wont keep but I dont like being "that guy" even though in reality.
I feel like the kifaru may be a little easier to use a cargo net. But can sew whatever I need to get either to work.

Outside of hunting what would ypu rather haul chainsaws, gas cans and water jugs with?? Anyone. Either way i am not superworried.
Currently 190lbs 5,7. My racing leathers typically have upper chest fitment issues and I wear a larger arcteryx for sholder fitment issues. Different body type then mentioned about.

Weekender

WKR
I have narrowed it down to a kifaru tac 24 frame or the SG xframe. One or the other. Going to use with a cargo net a sew my own drybags. I am still torn between the two having experienced neither.
Part of me was thinking of ordering both and returning the one I wont keep but I dont like being "that guy" even though in reality.
I feel like the kifaru may be a little easier to use a cargo net. But can sew whatever I need to get either to work.

Outside of hunting what would ypu rather haul chainsaws, gas cans and water jugs with?? Anyone. Either way i am not superworried.
Currently 190lbs 5,7. My racing leathers typically have upper chest fitment issues and I wear a larger arcteryx for sholder fitment issues. Different body type then mentioned about.

Either are good packs just try one and see if it's right for you. If it's not order the other one. If I was to use one for hauling chainsaws etc. I probably try a kirafu first. If it was for more just mountain use I'd pick a SG. Two solid choices

ljalberta

WKR

They have these return policies so you can be "that guy". It's part of the direct to consumer model of doing business. When it come to top of the line packs, if you don't mind paying the shipping, I would certainly suggest taking the rout of ordering both and seeing which you prefer in person.

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Tried the Xcurve frame at the Expo yesterday with 60 lbs. That frame is legit! I'm going to order a Kifaru first, but if I'm not 100% happy it will go back and the Xcurve will be next on the list.

They have these return policies so you can be "that guy". It's part of the direct to consumer model of doing business. When it come to top of the line packs, if you don't mind paying the shipping, I would certainly suggest taking the rout of ordering both and seeing which you prefer in person.

This!

Tex68w

WKR
Nice writeup OP. I don't have the Kifaru experience that you had but I have carried many a MR pack. I have to agree with your findings when it comes to the X-Curve and 5900. I'm elated with my purchase and I look forward to the upcoming season with it.

OP
H

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Nice writeup OP. I don't have the Kifaru experience that you had but I have carried many a MR pack. I have to agree with your findings when it comes to the X-Curve and 5900. I'm elated with my purchase and I look forward to the upcoming season with it.

Good to hear Tex. I'm also very happy with it!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I struggled to get a good fit in a pack as well. I have tried a few different Kifaru packs and just never really had a great fit. For me the Exo and the SG fit best. The Exo fit me best straight out of the box, but Kurt tweaked the SG to fit just as well. Biggest complaint with Exo is I need a 7000+ CI pack for my sheep hunts. The new Xcurve frame seems to have addressed the few minor issues I had with the SG. For me this makes a solid pack system even better! I can't wait to try the Xcurve.

OP
H

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I struggled to get a good fit in a pack as well. I have tried a few different Kifaru packs and just never really had a great fit. For me the Exo and the SG fit best. The Exo fit me best straight out of the box, but Kurt tweaked the SG to fit just as well. Biggest complaint with Exo is I need a 7000+ CI pack for my sheep hunts. The new Xcurve frame seems to have addressed the few minor issues I had with the SG. For me this makes a solid pack system even better! I can't wait to try the Xcurve.

Isn't the 5500 a 7000 ci bag when you factor in the side pockets? I wish I had been able to try one with these other 3 packs.

Kifaru's videos for adjustment are only a starting point. Also, what stays did your buddy have; composite curved? If you try heavy loads with the UL stays this can happen. The Kifaru belt is designed to ride a lot higher than you would expect and if you don't get the center of the belt directly on your Iliac Crest you will get slippage as well. I suggest that you give the Kifaru another shot and give Aron a call about getting it correctly adjusted for you. If you are getting shifting at lighter weight than you will certainly be uncomfortable at extreme weights, so you should try to get it comfortable at 40-60lbs first.