Stone Glacier Xcurve - My Initial Impression and Comparisons to Other Popular Packs

OP
H

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru's videos for adjustment are only a starting point. Also, what stays did your buddy have; composite curved? If you try heavy loads with the UL stays this can happen. The Kifaru belt is designed to ride a lot higher than you would expect and if you don't get the center of the belt directly on your Iliac Crest you will get slippage as well. I suggest that you give the Kifaru another shot and give Aron a call about getting it correctly adjusted for you. If you are getting shifting at lighter weight than you will certainly be uncomfortable at extreme weights, so you should try to get it comfortable at 40-60lbs first.

Thanks, they were the curved composite stays. I'm definitely going to drop by Kifaru and have them fit a frame to me the next time I'm in Denver for work.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't the 5500 a 7000 ci bag when you factor in the side pockets? I wish I had been able to try one with these other 3 packs.

Not really, I have both the 5500 and the Sky 7200. While the 5500 is larger than it is listed, it's no where near the size of my Sky 7200

Benjblt

WKR
My DT1 with 26" composite stays would rub my lumbar area raw with heavier loads. I played around with it a little, changed out the lumbar pad, but nothing seemed to work. I ended up selling it, buying a SG, a few years ago, and no more issues with lumbar rash. Just purchased the Xcurve frame and received it today, can't wait to load it up and test it out. I think I'll do that tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So what are your thoughts on the new X curve? I just bought one and like it but have never owned a high end pack. I'm still working on getting the fit right. I took it on the treadmill with 35lbw loaded. Seems to be great so far but still wonder if I aught to try the Kifaru.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I just bought one and like it but have never owned a high end pack. I'm still working on getting the fit right. I took it on the treadmill with 35lbw loaded. Seems to be great so far but still wonder if I aught to try the Kifaru.

I'm a huge Kifaru fan and are the best heavy load hauling pack out there and am quick to recommend them, but if you are feeling uncomfortable under 35lbs in the SG I think you need to learn a little more about how to properly adjust the pack before you move on. The difference in performance between the 2 packs should be fairly close at this weight and the SG might even be more comfortable (if properly adjusted).

I'm sure there are resources out there for SG on how to adjust them and you can give SG a call too. You could also watch the Kifaru adjustment videos and while they won't be directly applicable they will help to expand your general pack knowledge. I'm fortunate enough to just be able to corner Aron and get some help when I get stuck and can't eliminate a pressure point or something isn't riding right.

The main problem people have is that they don't ride the belt high enough. This is very important because having the belt too low can cause pressure points in your hips and will cause slippage under heavier loads. Now sometimes certain pack designs just fit certain people better, but Aron has said that he believes that a Kifaru pack can be adjusted to fit anyone. The problem is that people either don't put in the effort or give up when it doesn't wow them out of the box. This goes for all high end packs.

Bottom line is, try to get the pack adjusted for you before trying anything else. That way if you do decide to try a Kifaru you can truly decide which you liked better. If you're stuck on how to fix an issue give SG a call; you payed that much money for a pack, the least they can do is help you get it properly fit.

Benjblt

WKR
I'm a huge Kifaru fan and are the best heavy load hauling pack out there and am quick to recommend them, but if you are feeling uncomfortable under 35lbs in the SG I think you need to learn a little more about how to properly adjust the pack before you move on. The difference in performance between the 2 packs should be fairly close at this weight and the SG might even be more comfortable (if properly adjusted).

I'm sure there are resources out there for SG on how to adjust them and you can give SG a call too. You could also watch the Kifaru adjustment videos and while they won't be directly applicable they will help to expand your general pack knowledge. I'm fortunate enough to just be able to corner Aron and get some help when I get stuck and can't eliminate a pressure point or something isn't riding right.

The main problem people have is that they don't ride the belt high enough. This is very important because having the belt too low can cause pressure points in your hips and will cause slippage under heavier loads. Now sometimes certain pack designs just fit certain people better, but Aron has said that he believes that a Kifaru pack can be adjusted to fit anyone. The problem is that people either don't put in the effort or give up when it doesn't wow them out of the box. This goes for all high end packs.

Bottom line is, try to get the pack adjusted for you before trying anything else. That way if you do decide to try a Kifaru you can truly decide which you liked better. If you're stuck on how to fix an issue give SG a call; you payed that much money for a pack, the least they can do is help you get it properly fit.

It's not uncomfortable really. My knowledge of quality packs is so limited and I haven't packed that many heavy loads on a pack like that, only packboards with elk quarters. I'm just want to get the adjustments perfect before I make a proper assessment. Nothing frustrates me more than buying something that expensive and not have it close to perfect. I'm not too worried yet!

I really appreciate the feedback. Lots of great guys on this forum. I've never found something nearly as helpful as the knowledge I get from the guys here.