Stone Glacier Xcurve vs Exo K3 for a Shorter Guy

I am torn between the Sky 5900 and K3 4800, and may end up ordering both and sending one back. Before I do, does anyone have any insight as to how well the Stone Glacier Xcurve frame works for shorter guys? I am about 5'8"-5'9" ish 155lbs and it looks like I would be going with the short 24-25.5" frame for the K3. The Xcurve only comes in 26". I've read reports of the curved frame of the Xcurve really restricting the head movement of shorter guys. Just wondering if there is anyone around my height who have tried both or have some insight into which works best for them. Would like to not restrict head movement too much if possible, but I understand the load carrying benefits of a taller frame as well. Any issues as well shooting a bow with either?

Thanks.

Edit: 18” Torso

Last edited:
I'm 5' 7" and I use the X curve. The top of the stays are about level with the bottom of my ear. If it were lower, would it really be offering the load lifting capability I need? I'm not so sure.

Additionally, the SG has a vertical stay on each side, with the portion directly behind the head being lower. The K3 has a bar that goes directly behind the head all the way across. By that logic I would think the K3 is actually more restrictive than the SG. YMMV of course.

Mitten32

WKR
I am torn between the Sky 5900 and K3 4800, and may end up ordering both and sending one back. Before I do, does anyone have any insight as to how well the Stone Glacier Xcurve frame works for shorter guys? I am about 5'8"-5'9" ish 155lbs and it looks like I would be going with the short 24-25.5" frame for the K3. The Xcurve only comes in 26". I've read reports of the curved frame of the Xcurve really restricting the head movement of shorter guys. Just wondering if there is anyone around my height who have tried both or have some insight into which works best for them. Would like to not restrict head movement too much if possible, but I understand the load carrying benefits of a taller frame as well. Any issues as well shooting a bow with either?

Thanks.
Give SG a call. You maybe actually benefit more from the evo frame based on your torso length from my experience pack fitting is less about your height and more about your torso length.

OP
T
I'm 5' 7" and I use the X curve. The top of the stays are about level with the bottom of my ear. If it were lower, would it really be offering the load lifting capability I need? I'm not so sure.

Additionally, the SG has a vertical stay on each side, with the portion directly behind the head being lower. The K3 has a bar that goes directly behind the head all the way across. By that logic I would think the K3 is actually more restrictive than the SG. YMMV of course.
Interesting. I wonder how that works at all then for guys that are 6'+. The top of their frame couldn't be any higher than their shoulder then.

I also wondered about the vertical frame stays vs the bar, but figured that would be a moot point when you attach the bag to the Stone Glacier as it would fill that gap. I could be wrong though.

OP
T
Give SG a call. You maybe actually benefit more from the evo frame based on your torso length from my experience pack fitting is less about your height and more about your torso length.
I will talk to them. I figured that I would go with the Xcurve frame based on their test of standing against the wall and sliding my hand behind my back.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I will talk to them. I figured that I would go with the Xcurve frame based on their test of standing against the wall and sliding my hand behind my back.
So I’m right there with you - 5’8” and can fit my hand behind my back. But when I talked to them the flatter evo style frame is what they suggested based on my short torso. I’ve ran an x-curve since it was released and they are crazy comfy, stays can definitely stick up a bit high in some situations. With a thicker lumbar pad I’m doing fine with the lighter frame.

I'm 5' 6", and recently went through the same dilemma. Tested out a SG Sky 5900 and it was pretty comfortable with a light load (30ish lbs), but the frame was super tall, like the top of the stays were above my head. I do wear my hipbelt pretty high on my waist to get the load transferred to my hips, so that didn't help. Returned it and picked up an Exo K3 with the short torso. I've actually been running it with the bottom frame and extensions/inserts completely removed so it ends up being more like a 23" frame. So far it's been very comfortable for me, the hipbelt feels great and carries 50lbs no problem. I did get the denser foam lumber pad and have been playing around with the shims to try to find what I like best.

TL;DR- I'm short, Exo K3 has been great for me while the X-Curve wasn't. If I was going to go back to SG I would definitely go with the Evo frame or have them put straight stays in an X-Curve.

I’m 5’8 and tried the tall Exo frame. It was super comfortable but I couldn’t look up at all. The frame was too tall and stopped me from looking up. I have a K2 and K3 that I love. No experience with SG.

Sadler

WKR
Exo has a smaller frame that I just saw them advertise on Instagram. I think it’s called the EXS? Anyways, I asked about it and it’s designed for people from 5’3” to 5’8”. May be worth a look.

md126

WKR
All the SG frames are 26”

To be honest, I don’t know how people have trouble looking up with any of these frames, unless your standing at the base of a cliff…. Just my experience

ffiivvee

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I wonder how that works at all then for guys that are 6'+. The top of their frame couldn't be any higher than their shoulder then.

I also wondered about the vertical frame stays vs the bar, but figured that would be a moot point when you attach the bag to the Stone Glacier as it would fill that gap. I could be wrong though.

They could be all legs and a midget torso like me. I’m 6’1” with an oddly short torso. Granted I don’t have any experience with Exo or SG but only Kifaru. I had a 26” duplex lite frame and didn’t like it because it restricted my head movement way too much. I traded a guy for his 24” frame and that was way better but I still had issues with looking up and contacting the frame. I legitimately could probably get away with a 22” frame. It probably wouldn’t be terribly comfortable with game in it but as far as “running around” the woods is concerned I would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
So, what constitutes a shorter torso that perhaps works better with the EVO vs. the xcurve?

I’m 5’ 8”, but have a 19.5” torso. Can fit my hand behind my back when against wall.

I’m 5’6” with a 19” torso. The Xcurve frame absolutely did not work for me, despite having a fairly curved back from lifting. The Xcurve bends were in all the wrong areas for me. I run the Krux Evo and the Terminus frames with straight stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckInTn

FNG
I'm 5'7 - actually had my torso measured at REI yesterday, it came it at 18". I have the Exo K3 short frame and I have not had any issue with restricted head movement. Have not taken it hunting yet, but lots of walking with it. If I look straight up at the sky, the top of my head does touch the pack, but not so much as to prevent movement. Also depends on how you adjust the shoulder harness on the frame. I wear mine so the hip-belt is above the my pants/belt line.

OP
T
I'm 5'7 - actually had my torso measured at REI yesterday, it came it at 18". I have the Exo K3 short frame and I have not had any issue with restricted head movement. Have not taken it hunting yet, but lots of walking with it. If I look straight up at the sky, the top of my head does touch the pack, but not so much as to prevent movement. Also depends on how you adjust the shoulder harness on the frame. I wear mine so the hip-belt is above the my pants/belt line.
Thank you for the reply. Just curious, what waist size are you and what waist belt did you go with? Any issues with it sliding down?

OP
T
So, what constitutes a shorter torso that perhaps works better with the EVO vs. the xcurve?

I’m 5’ 8”, but have a 19.5” torso. Can fit my hand behind my back when against wall.
I would call or email them for sure. I think 19.5" puts you in the larger frame for most frames that have size options, so maybe they'd tell you to go X Curve?

ChuckInTn

FNG
Thank you for the reply. Just curious, what waist size are you and what waist belt did you go with? Any issues with it sliding down?
I went with the medium belt, my waist size is 36. I also picked up the Lumbar kit to fine tune the fit. No issues with it sliding down, but I've probably only had 45 lbs max in it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm 5' 6", and recently went through the same dilemma. Tested out a SG Sky 5900 and it was pretty comfortable with a light load (30ish lbs), but the frame was super tall, like the top of the stays were above my head. I do wear my hipbelt pretty high on my waist to get the load transferred to my hips, so that didn't help. Returned it and picked up an Exo K3 with the short torso. I've actually been running it with the bottom frame and extensions/inserts completely removed so it ends up being more like a 23" frame. So far it's been very comfortable for me, the hipbelt feels great and carries 50lbs no problem. I did get the denser foam lumber pad and have been playing around with the shims to try to find what I like best.

TL;DR- I'm short, Exo K3 has been great for me while the X-Curve wasn't. If I was going to go back to SG I would definitely go with the Evo frame or have them put straight stays in an X-Curve.
EXO makes a dedicated short frame the EXS frame. They don't advertise them as much as the others but they are available.