Stone Glacier

Cascade340

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone got their hands on the new stone glacier rain gear or mid layers? I really liked their pants this year so I’m thinking about ordering some more from them.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure why the helio bottoms don’t have a fly but I like the large side vent idea.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve got the hoody arriving Friday, but I’d like to get some use on it first - I’ll try and remember to check back and comment on fit at least.

I watched a video where they discussed the bottoms, and mentioned that they didn’t want the full length zipper because the focus was to keep the minimum amount of material possible at the waist, for comfort under a pack. I have the Kuiu zip offs with the Velcro tabs at the top, and their reasoning makes sense to me. And no mesh on the pant vents so you could zip down layers under the pants.

OP
C

Cascade340

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet! I have the kuiu full zip bottoms as well and I really like the full zip for dropping a layer quickly but I get what they are saying about the extra material. The de havilland pants are designed to be thin up top as well and It does make a difference!

I TOTALLY missed the release of these new items. It must've happened while I was hiding under that rock! The product line looks sweet!

I went in and checked out all their new gear. I am very impressed with the rain gear. Seemed very durable and light weight. One of the best rain jackets I have seen in my opinion.

OP
C

Cascade340

Lil-Rokslider
I went in and checked out all their new gear. I am very impressed with the rain gear. Seemed very durable and light weight. One of the best rain jackets I have seen in my opinion.
Is there a rain jacket you could compare it to?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
A few things on the mid layer hoody, after wearing a few days:
- the build is noticeably high end. Solid stitching.
- fit is long in torso, like the soft shell, to stay under the hip belt. Deep chest zipper.
- material is thinner than I guessed it would be - slick outer face with peached inner. Reminds me of a bit thinner version of the original Sitka traverse hoody, except the fit and hood is better, with way less spandex, and the collar isn’t nearly as annoying. Thinner than an R1.
- the thumb holes are trimmed well, good hand coverage - I’ve come to prefer the thinner layered style that Kuiu started using because they are more comfortable (to me) but these aren’t bad.
- I can pull the sleeves up my forearms about 2/3 of the way, but you have to really pull, not something I would do regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up the mid-layer at Dallas Safaris show on Friday from their booth. My assessment is very similar to MT-W. I think this will replace a Kuiu layer for me this season, and I will probably be wearing it on the weekends this winter given its comfort and style.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I stopped in and fondled several items. Probably my favorite piece was the rain jacket. It seemed very light but durable(well built). Lampers said he used the jacket all last season and really liked it.

5c7c3f724460313b86792646fa8b6a80.jpg
68a022de7cc86512ba948dc1bc989902.jpg
8a57ef7e486911308db621986737fe2d.jpg
83a6d62e148757288b7f3abae9db82b1.jpg
c73c8b0f88cbd979bb4f6dbf5808a0db.jpg

sr80

WKR
- fit is long in torso, like the soft shell, to stay under the hip belt. Deep chest zipper.
- material is thinner than I guessed it would be - slick outer face with peached inner. Reminds me of a bit thinner version of the original Sitka traverse hoody, except the fit and hood is better, with way less spandex, and the collar isn’t nearly as annoying. Thinner than an R1.
- the thumb holes are trimmed well, good hand coverage - I’ve come to prefer the thinner layered style that Kuiu started using because they are more comfortable (to me) but these aren’t bad.
- I can pull the sleeves up my forearms about 2/3 of the way, but you have to really pull, not something I would do regularly.

How is the fit of this hoody??? What size top would you regularly wear and how does this one compare? tHanks

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I wear a medium normally with everything and have a medium hoody. It fits close, but it isn’t super duper tight. It’s cut like a technical garment, not a relaxed fit by any means. I think it fits exactly like their softshell - close cut to eliminate bulk.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I am really interested in the new pants as a substitute for the Timberlines. I like having solid pants and can't seem to get my hands on a pair of moss timberlines. The hip zips look fantastic. I hated pulling the timberlines off and on to throw on a base layer before/after walking to glass.

I almost pulled the trigger on this fleece mid layer but after talking with Pete at SG I realized it seemed thinner than what I thought it was. I was looking for something closer to Core heavy weight or FL Klamath. I currently use the KUIU strongfleece 260. I may just stick with that. My only issue with it is the fit is a little balky for layering since the body is kinda baggy.

interesting that there is no website at all. its showing that Hydra Shield is trademarked to NTA Enterprises inc. who also owns Huntworth clothing.