Stone Glacier

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Nope. Vietnam etc.
+1
e.png

4dcfries

FNG
I asked a long time ago via instagram and they never responded. Would have been nice to see those made in the US. Hard to find but worth it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I asked a long time ago via instagram and they never responded. Would have been nice to see those made in the US. Hard to find but worth it.

The price would be double what it is.

“Asia” isn’t one place. It ranges from stereotypical Chinese labor, to legit workplaces that treat they’re people correct. SG’s Vietnam manufacture is one of the latter.

bsnedeker

WKR
The price would be double what it is.

“Asia” isn’t one place. It ranges from stereotypical Chinese labor, to legit workplaces that treat they’re people correct. SG’s Vietnam manufacture is one of the latter.

Kifaru does not cost double Stone Glacier.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's really tough to find US made outdoor garments- North Face, Patagonia, Outdoor Research, Black Diamond, Arcteryx , etc along with hunting brands Sitka, Kuiu, etc all made overseas

the few exceptions are down and Apex insulated garments from Nunatak, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Enlightened Equipment

also you can sometimes find Berry compliant (made in USA for the military) garments from Arcetryx and Patagonia on eBay- I have USA made Patagonia military windshirt, soft-shell pants and rain paints; I got them early on before folks "found out" about them- prices have really skyrocketed from 10-12 years ago

bsnedeker

WKR
Does Kifaru make technical Down, Softshell, and Rain garments?

No, but they obviously make a bunch of other gear including synthetic insulation and other technical fabrics and while they do charge more for those items, guys are certainly willing to pay for it. What is special about rain gear, down, and softshell material that means it can't be made in the US? Not trying to be argumentative, it has always puzzled me that we can make a bunch of stuff 100% in the US, but these items you listed are not so I'm wondering if anyone, perhaps someone inside the industry, has an answer.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Kifaru makes a very nice down jacket and pants both with lower retail prices than the comparable SG product.

Will you please point me to the Kifaru down jacket and pants?

No, but they obviously make a bunch of other gear including synthetic insulation and other technical fabrics and while they do charge more for those items, guys are certainly willing to pay for it. What is special about rain gear, down, and softshell material that means it can't be made in the US? Not trying to be argumentative, it has always puzzled me that we can make a bunch of stuff 100% in the US, but these items you listed are not so I'm wondering if anyone, perhaps someone inside the industry, has an answer.

Forbthe most part it’s not thatbthe US can’t, it's that no one will pay for it.

You can not compare the cost of synthetic insulation to high quality down. Good down is significantly more expensive. Also, you have to compare like garment cuts. The Kifaru LPP is a good jacket, I wear them all the time and have worn one out. But, the cut or fit is not nearly as refined or well done. It is relatively simple sewing and boxy. The SG Grumman cur is much more involved, and their garments fit much cleaner.

As for rain gear, down, and softshell material- that is textiles, America does not have the industry to produce what Asia does right now. It would take a long time to stand it up, and will be very expensive. The best textiles almost across the board come from Asia. People look at pants, or a jacket and say- “what’s the big deal?” Well, it is a big deal. The material itself we don’t have, the fit and cut of the product we really don’t have, and the sewing base we don’t have.

Could an American version of most of the Mountaineering companies be produced in the US? Of course. But you won’t be getting pants that fit and perform like OR/Patagonia/MH/Sitka/Kuiu/etc., for $100-$200. For a like product you can double that at a minimum, and it is doubtful you would get anything like Arc’teryx produced at scale regardless of cost.

I’m all about buying a US product, but I’m also not freaking out over a $300 pair of pants. You aren’t going to get both- either cheap and not made here, or made here and expensive.

bsnedeker

WKR
Will you please point me to the Kifaru down jacket and pants?

Forbthe most part it’s not thatbthe US can’t, it's that no one will pay for it.

You can not compare the cost of synthetic insulation to high quality down. Good down is significantly more expensive. Also, you have to compare like garment cuts. The Kifaru LPP is a good jacket, I wear them all the time and have worn one out. But, the cut or fit is not nearly as refined or well done. It is relatively simple sewing and boxy. The SG Grumman cur is much more involved, and their garments fit much cleaner.

As for rain gear, down, and softshell material- that is textiles, America does not have the industry to produce what Asia does right now. It would take a long time to stand it up, and will be very expensive. The best textiles almost across the board come from Asia. People look at pants, or a jacket and say- “what’s the big deal?” Well, it is a big deal. The material itself we don’t have, the fit and cut of the product we really don’t have, and the sewing base we don’t have.

Could an American version of most of the Mountaineering companies be produced in the US? Of course. But you won’t be getting pants that fit and perform like OR/Patagonia/MH/Sitka/Kuiu/etc., for $100-$200. For a like product you can double that at a minimum, and it is doubtful you would get anything like Arc’teryx produced at scale regardless of cost.

I’m all about buying a US product, but I’m also not freaking out over a $300 pair of pants. You aren’t going to get both- either cheap and not made here, or made here and expensive.

I'm not going to say you have me convinced, but I appreciate you taking the time to explain. It seems to me we do have a few boutique companies making high quality gear with down that is, or at least WAS, made in America. I also do believe that guys would pay a premium to buy American if someone actually made the investment to make stuff here but that is certainly a big risk that a company would have to make and take it on faith that people would spend the extra money so I get why it hasn't happened yet to a certain extent.

At the end of the day I do love my SG puffies though so clearly I'm a hypocrite. The Kifaru LP puffy stuff is just way overkill for where I hunt.